Carb flooding no matter what I do...

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
i pressure wash "my units" at least every other mowing
Applaud the cleaning effort. The water is the issue I have (rust). Bad idea using a power washer.

Sheit, at least you are cleaning yours LOL. Blast away. Clean the top of the engine block too.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
This kind of fuel back fogging out the carb is excessive valve overlap "cam timing" or late ignition timing. Check flywheel key.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Is that fuel filter installed backwards?

Should be some arrows on the clear part showing proper mounting direction.
Makes no difference except the crud will be inside the the element thus hard to see .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
i pressure wash "my units" at least every other mowing.... i did state that i just got it for under $200 as a planned parts mower.
Stop doing this
All you need to do is blow the mower down with an air duster or even a leaf blower
Once a season remove the blower housing and clean the fins.
If you have mice around, do this at the end of the season & leave it off to prevent them nesting

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now to your problem which I think is blow back through the carb, if the "fuel fountain" is actually coming out of the carb throat & not the breather hose next to it.

If it is coming out the carb then the most likely cause is an inlet valve staying open
Stuck valve, bent valve, shifted valve guide or just too little valve lash.

If it is coming out the breather then
Blown head gasket

If blown head gasket, that can be caused by bad float allowing engine to fill up with fuel which of course will not compress .

electrycmonk

Threads
Now to your problem which I think is blow back through the carb, if the "fuel fountain" is actually coming out of the carb throat & not the breather hose next to it.

If it is coming out the carb then the most likely cause is an inlet valve staying open
Stuck valve, bent valve, shifted valve guide or just too little valve lash.

If it is coming out the breather then
Blown head gasket

If blown head gasket, that can be caused by bad float allowing engine to fill up with fuel which of course will not compress .
fuel-arrows.jpg

I guess the "Carb throat" you speak of would = the "Red circle" i drew then, yes?

electrycmonk

Threads
Applaud the cleaning effort. The water is the issue I have (rust).

Sheit, at least you are cleaning yours LOL. Blast away. Clean the top of the engine block too.
long ago was taught to keep the engine bay clean. that way you take notice of any leak or other issue ALOT sooner.

We have several vehicles in our fleet. Not including craftsman riding mowers or the cub cadet 7260 with a ford 917 6' flail.
They all get the PSI Washing.

'99 F350 7.3L 4WD CC 6spd w/GV OD
'97 Z3 2.8L 5spd (wifes toy)
'04 TDI jetta 5spd
'15 Sienna (Wife's chariot)
'02 Golf GTI 6spd (son's broken down toy)