Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Just one of those things
The biggest selling mower down here with better than 80% of the market when Honda launched big time into Oz had swing back blades, single lever height adjustment & an air snorkel
So Honda had to offer the same advanced features,
They launched with a USA model a cash back deal for contractors which virtually made the mowers free but even then they flopped
So the next new model ditched the 4 individual height adjusters and sold like hotcakes to commercial customers being only 2" smaller than the Victa Super 24 but 2/3 the weight & self propelled to boot.
The residentials followed with a similar spec but when the 3rd model hit they ditched the snorkels on the residentials and then on the commercials.

Westman

Threads
Here is a follow up on cold bluing from an individual (appears to be a machinist) who demonstrates the cold bluing process on a cold steel "axle". Interesting for those so inclined...
Link:
We are not so much interested in appearance as we are protection of the axle from the elements (rust). I'll use this process when I rehab my mower based on Brantii's experience later this fall.

Last edited:

gotomow

Threads
I have stayed out of this the best I could, had you not mentioned blueing I would have stayed in lurk mode .
We do not get this model down here as all the Hondas have single lever height adjustment so the front & rear axle arrangements are different.
Thus we do not have the same problem you have been dealing with.
THe USA is the only market that has the 4 wheel individual height adjustment and Honda is the biggest selling push mower world wide.
So for me it is lack of any attempt to lubricate the bush is the big problem.
The axels on the ones down here are all heavily zinc plated and rarely rust heavy enough to lock the drive.
The axels here are made from the cheapest possible metal possible and rust and pit just looking at them. I have turned over Honda mowers on the sales floor and some of the axels are starting the rusting process brand new! Calling them metal is being too generous because it's cheap a$$ junk pot metal unworthy of anything much less putting on a machine. My third year into using my piece of junk Honda I made the mistake of picking up leaves that were slightly damp,(barely) at the end of the season the weather turned to snow very quickly so the mower got put away. That next season is when I started having a problem it was so bad I turned the mower over thinking the belt needed replacing and was shocked how badly rusted the axel was. My MTD never had any problems like this I could pickup leaves with a dusting of frost or dampness and that thing kept on trucking.
I've been using CRC 2-26 Multi-Purpose lube that is plastic safe and I spray before and after use.

civic

Threads
Everyone has their own opinion some good some bad. Everything that is man mad will have issues. Most issues are from users that don't understand the product or use the product incorrectly and blame the manufacturer while others find a way to improve it and relay this to others for help. I don't consider my Honda a piece of junk it mows and mulches better than any mower I have owned. I have done a lot more maintenance to this mower than any I have own but this mower has lasted me over 10 years and counting. During the summer I mow twice weekly and winters once or twice a month. It has never failed to start. Just the rear wheel lock up is annoying and takes sometime to maintain. I have tried many things like graphite which lasted a month so. I have been taking this mower apart every year to lube the bushing with a good quality lithium grease and that is working. I was trying to figure out what I could do to keep water, grass, and dirt from entering the gears and I thought using some felt might work and so far so good but I am not done for the season. Another thought would be using two seals and the felt. I do have the needle bearing set up but have not installed yet. Not sure I will due to thinking the needle bearings may eat up the shaft. I want to see how others here have to say about it after the season is over and they inspect. Same with me with the felt. I want to take it apart and inspect to see if the grease is still there or not. We all know the issue with these mowers and with many ideas we can find a way to repair it for the long haul. The needle bears are a great idea but costly. If that's the permanent fix it is worth the money, however my idea is great too with very little cost time will tell. I hope other ideas come about. I don't know it this would work or if there is such a bearing but 2 sealed roller bearing in the adjuster. Not sure if anyone has looked into that.

civic

Threads
I found this bearing and I may use this instead of the needle bearing set up.
R1212-2RS Ball Bearing

Westman

Threads
I found this bearing and I may use this instead of the needle bearing set up.
R1212-2RS Ball Bearing

These bearings have different dimensions ( 1/2" x 3/4" x 5/32") than the needle bearings previously mentioned earlier in this thread. Is this correct? If so, how would these fit the drilled out adjuster? FYI, I picked up the 7/8" needle bearings from Amazon you mentioned and will give them a try along with the extra dust seal on wheel side. These extra dust seals need to be epoxied? Where specifically on the axle do these go? Thanks again.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I had a couple of those that wouldn't back up. I couldn't sell them as most fat lazy American's like ME, want a working self propel. Good luck on a mod/fix guys.

slomo

civic

Threads
These bearings have different dimensions ( 1/2" x 3/4" x 5/32") than the needle bearings previously mentioned earlier in this thread. Is this correct? If so, how would these fit the drilled out adjuster? FYI, I picked up the 7/8" needle bearings from Amazon you mentioned and will give them a try along with the extra dust seal on wheel side. These extra dust seals need to be epoxied? Where specifically on the axle do these go? Thanks again.
Yes, you are correct. These have the same I.D. and a little larger O.D. by 1/16 of an inch. However these are much thinner bearings so I would use two per adjuster. These are cheap bearings you can buy a 10 pack on ebay for $10. I really like the idea of these as long as they fit snug on the shaft. The reason I like this is that you never need to re grease them, you may have to replace them. I am going to try this instead of needle bearing even though I have the needle bearing set up.

Briantii

Threads
Yes, you are correct. These have the same I.D. and a little larger O.D. by 1/16 of an inch. However these are much thinner bearings so I would use two per adjuster. These are cheap bearings you can buy a 10 pack on ebay for $10. I really like the idea of these as long as they fit snug on the shaft. The reason I like this is that you never need to re grease them, you may have to replace them. I am going to try this instead of needle bearing even though I have the needle bearing set up.

Nice find! I was originally looking for ball bearings but didn’t find any that really fit so that’s how I ended up with the needle bearings. I’ll be curious how they work for you, I think sealed balls would be superior.

sottis

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Civic, do you have a part number for that felt and where did you get it?