Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Westman

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Here is my beast, HRR2168VKA (Circa 2012) eight years old. Great mower. I had to purchase it last year used when I ruptured my achilles tendon and needed the self powered rear wheels as I have lawn on approx 25-30 degree slope in back and needed the self powered assistance. I still have my previous mower, EGO 20" battery powered push. Great mower. Now that my achilles has healed I could go back to the EGO, but I like the Honda too much to give it up. I think the spring came from the mower.

Attachments

• IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0067.JPG
    IMG_0067.JPG
    111.6 KB · Views: 22

Briantii

Threads
Here is a picture of my sealed bearing mod.

That looks perfect. That combined with the felt is probably the most bulletproof setup there is. I predict years of trouble free use with it.

civic

Threads
That spring looks too big for the RATCHET RETURN SPRING or it has been stretched. The ratchet return spring goes under the key. Look this up in the parts diagram.

Westman

Threads
I believe the spring is for your pinion gear on axle. See which side doesn’t click when you turn the wheels forward. You need that for sure. You maybe only one wheel drive without it.

Also nice job getting the bearings done! If it helps, mine is still holding up great. Zero issues since Late September / early October when I did it. I do like Civic’s ball bearing setup better - that’s what I’d originally envisioned but never could find the right combo to make it work.
Both sides click, that spring is larger than the springs that sits under the half-moon ratchet thingy.

Briantii

Threads
Both sides click, that spring is larger than the springs that sits under the half-moon ratchet thingy.

Ah my bad. I couldn’t get a sense of scale there. Not sure then.

Westman

Threads
I wanted to add the 2nd oil/grease seal, but the machine shop didn't follow my directions and pressed the needle bearings flush to the wheel side. I wanted them to center the bearing so that both sides of the adjuster could have the oil seals, but it won't be. I didn't notice it until I got home and looked at them. Bummer. I'm going to add the felt mod and keep my fingers crossed. If need be, I'll re mod my used adjusters I took off the mower today. I may copy Civic's mod as I like the ball bearing setup as well. I should have took the pressed adjusters back to the machine shop, but I just wanted to get this thing fixed or at least better than it was. That machine shop was expensive, so next time I'll pick up a cheap Harbor Freight drill press and do the entire thing myself. I like doing this stuff anyway as I am retired and need stuff to keep me busy, COVID19 and all.

civic

Threads
I have the same mower model #. Not sure how old it is but my engine says it meets 2011 emissions. Mine does not look as good as yours. Mine has been through hell and back plus 2 floods and still works good. One of the floods it was under 4 ft. of water and found it upside down. I changed the oil pulled the spark plug turned it over a few times and the damn thing ran. I never drained the fuel it was fine. I had a 1/2 tank of fuel and it was at the same level. I also had to clean and lube the rear bushings, but did this after the next season since I didn't have a home but still used it for a year. Yes the rear wheels where locking up but had to deal with it. It has always started on the first pull, I never have to pull hard, matter of fact I see how lightly I can pull for it to start. Kind of a game for me. I have considered an EGO but if it floods it is all over.

civic

Threads
I wanted to add the 2nd oil/grease seal, but the machine shop didn't follow my directions and pressed the needle bearings flush to the wheel side. I wanted them to center the bearing so that both sides of the adjuster could have the oil seals, but it won't be. I didn't notice it until I got home and looked at them. Bummer. I'm going to add the felt mod and keep my fingers crossed. If need be, I'll re mod my used adjusters I took off the mower today. I may copy Civic's mod as I like the ball bearing setup as well. I should have took the pressed adjusters back to the machine shop, but I just wanted to get this thing fixed or at least better than it was. That machine shop was expensive, so next time I'll pick up a cheap Harbor Freight drill press and do the entire thing myself. I like doing this stuff anyway as I am retired and need stuff to keep me busy, COVID19 and all.
My machinist but it on a lath so I would get a tight fit. However with the sealed bearings he made it a tab bit big and I may epoxy the one at the drilled end and or us the extra seal. If you have not installed it you maybe able to press the bearing in more depending on how much they drilled.

Westman

Threads
My machinist but it on a lath so I would get a tight fit. However with the sealed bearings he made it a tab bit big and I may epoxy the one at the drilled end and or us the extra seal. If you have not installed it you maybe able to press the bearing in more depending on how much they drilled.
I installed it today but before I did, I did try to press the bearing in but chickened out when I was having to put a lot of pull/pressure on my vise but the bearing just didn't seem like it wanted to move. Last thing I wanted to do was f-up what was already done. I'm happy with what I have now, we'll see how it transpires. Sorry to hear about the flooding. You folks in Houston have probably had enough rain.

civic

Threads
I installed it today but before I did, I did try to press the bearing in but chickened out when I was having to put a lot of pull/pressure on my vise but the bearing just didn't seem like it wanted to move. Last thing I wanted to do was f-up what was already done. I'm happy with what I have now, we'll see how it transpires. Sorry to hear about the flooding. You folks in Houston have probably had enough rain.
Do you have a fish scale or something like this to measure how many lbs. it takes for pull back?
As for floods I have flooded 3 times and now we bulldozed the house and built 6 ft. high. Hurricane Harvey was a mess and the last straw. I never thought I needed flood insurance and glad I had it all three times. If you guys don't have flood ins. consider it.