Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Rich M.

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Not to go too far off topic, but what is the life expectancy for a battery operated mower? Repair facilities?

My mowers with normal routine service will last me around 20 years and the amount of gas for cutting 1/2 acre per year is fairly cheap. Will battery operated mowers be similar as for being as cost effective based on today’s cost. Future costs- who knows.

civic

Threads
Not to go too far off topic, but what is the life expectancy for a battery operated mower? Repair facilities?

My mowers with normal routine service will last me around 20 years and the amount of gas for cutting 1/2 acre per year is fairly cheap. Will battery operated mowers be similar as for being as cost effective based on today’s cost. Future costs- who knows.
I wonder this too. I think it is too soon to buy one. Waiting a few years and with technology this might look better and hopefully cost will come down. I really like the way the Honda cuts. Never had a mower this great in cut quality.

civic

Threads
I have tried the bronze bushing and needle bearings and nothing has helped. Today I replaced the transmission with a superseded part # for my mower. When I removed the trans the old one moved smoothly in both directions. I took the top off to see how the fluid was and it was good with no broken teeth on the gears. The shafts looked good and not bent. Once I installed the new one and made all adjustments on the cable all is well again. However, it isn't as easy to pull back as the sealed roller bearings but works. The shop manual states the max pull back force on my model is 13 lbs. I measured 10-11lbs. I did use the brass oilite brass bushing and 2 seals. The bushings are a snug but not a tight fit and should loosen up a bit over time. The one thing I did notice was how this mower turns. Much easier and smoother than the old trans. I have a shop manual for the HRR216 mowers and tried to attach it here but the file is too big. PM me if you want a copy.

Rich M.

Threads
Thanks Civic for the update.

I am glad to hear that the old transmission was in good shape. Your information will keep my focus on the bushings.

Also, you are right about the Honda mower’s cutting ability.

As for battery operated mowers, my neighbor got one several months ago and it cuts the tall fescue fine, but has trouble with Zoysia grass.

Not to get way off topic, but with everything pointing to battery operation, how in the world will our current power grid or even an update power grid support that much needed? Go back to the old odd/even days? Things sound great on paper, but reality has a way of proving paper ideas wrong.

Now I know some will say we were very reluctant for change when cars came out to replace horses and the person who invented the wheel was probably an outcast. I just don’t think our tech ability for major battery operation is there yet, nor, as I already mentioned, the power grids and electric production is not sufficient for need.

My wife’s grandmother had a saying, “I am glad I am leaving and not Coming.” Took awhile for that to sink into my brain.

Bring back the Beatles, Nehru jackets and mullets.

civic

Threads
Rich you could have said it better. Keep On Keeping On

I have St. Augustine grass and it gets very thick in summer. Not sure if old trans was good are not. It looked and felt good but something was not right. Might have been a slightly bent shaft?
BTW my grandmother said the same thing

Pixburd

Threads
*UPDATE* After a year of mowing, my mod is still working fairly well. I can still roll the mower easily backwards without the wheels slipping on grass. I opted for the simplest solution to start, which was to disassemble and clean up the axle on both sides, shorten the plastic bushings to ~0.9 inch, add a second axle seal centering the bushing between the seals, and then add grease to both ends of the bushing. This was on the oldest mower.

Last winter I actually bought the ball bearings and Oilite bronze sleeve bearings but have not yet used them.

Pixburd

Threads
I tried to upload a pic from my phone but was too large. Any suggestions?

civic

Threads
*UPDATE* After a year of mowing, my mod is still working fairly well. I can still roll the mower easily backwards without the wheels slipping on grass. I opted for the simplest solution to start, which was to disassemble and clean up the axle on both sides, shorten the plastic bushings to ~0.9 inch, add a second axle seal centering the bushing between the seals, and then add grease to both ends of the bushing. This was on the oldest mower.

Last winter I actually bought the ball bearings and Oilite bronze sleeve bearings but have not yet used them.
I agree, keep things simple, KISS method. I tried that too before replacing the trans and had no luck.

civic

Threads
I found a sealed roller bearing with load ratings MR1913-ZRS. Dynamic load .9 kN or 202 lbs, Static load .51 kN or 115 lbs Our mowers are approx. 85 lbs. Not very high load rating but it might work. Does anyone have experience with this?

Pixburd

Threads
I found a sealed roller bearing with load ratings MR1913-ZRS. Dynamic load .9 kN or 202 lbs, Static load .51 kN or 115 lbs Our mowers are approx. 85 lbs. Not very high load rating but it might work. Does anyone have experience with this?
That bearing is 13 mm ID (0.512 in) which is slightly oversized for the Honda axle.
Also, it's a ball bearing, not a roller bearing. Technicality.
This one might be better.
R1212-2RS Bearing