Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Mike C5

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
Hi All, I came across this thread while searching for an answer to this common problem. It's great that this kind of forum exists for these mowers. I decided to go the Oilite bushing route. I really wanted to avoid drilling out the mount bracket to fit the bushings because it was easier for me to turn down the bushings on my lathe (an old South Bend 9") to fit the bracket. For end seals, I bought Honda replacement seals but 2 for each bracket and it worked out fine. I also added an O-ring between the bracket and plastic dust shield as others have done and so far, so good. I used these bushings from McMaster Carr:
11/16"1 1/8"1,250 lbs. @ 120 rpmLubricatedSAE 90 Oil-15° to 300°2868T1172.67
Happy mowing!

Attachments

• IMG_0906.jpg
    IMG_0906.jpg
    758.6 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0907.jpg
    IMG_0907.jpg
    742.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    692.7 KB · Views: 32

Westman

Threads
What did you use for seals?
I used the stock Honda oil/ grease seals 42944-VE2-801. I epoxied them in place (JB-Weld) so that they would stay in place. This setup has worked perfect so far, second season into mowing with no problems.

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    93.5 KB · Views: 12

Pixburd

Threads
Pixburd- Did you shorten up the actual OEM plastic bushing or are you using something else inside the barrel adjustor on the transmission shaft?
Yes, I shortened the actual OEM plastic bushing. I extracted it and cut off a little more than an 1/8 in.
Then I ordered 2 more Honda OEM dust seals (each rear wheel now has two seals.).
The shorter bushing gave me some space on both sides to add bearing grease.
This was not the first time I had cleaned up the bearing area and added grease. Past maintenance never lasted long because one side had no seal or grease.
So far so good. I thought about this fix after some research reading about several other endeavors and contacting the local Honda repair shop. His comment was that Honda by far makes the best engines, but they failed with the rest of the mower, especially around the wheels.
I still may end up putting ball or sleeve bearings inside like others have done. I'll wait and see.

Last edited:

8xlaxx

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, I shortened the actual OEM plastic bushing. I extracted it and cut off a little more than an 1/8 in.
Then I ordered 2 more Honda OEM dust seals (each rear wheel now has two seals.).
The shorter bushing gave me some space on both sides to add bearing grease.
This was not the first time I had cleaned up the bearing area and added grease. Past maintenance never lasted long because one side had no seal or grease.
So far so good. I thought about this fix after some research reading about several other endeavors and contacting the local Honda repair shop. His comment was that Honda by far makes the best engines, but they failed with the rest of the mower, especially around the wheels.
I still may end up putting ball or sleeve bearings inside like others have done. I'll wait and see.

Thanks for the post. Ended up shortening the plastic bushings as well and added a second set of OEM dust seals to the inner rear axle. Didn't epoxy anything as the seals had a really snug fit and haven't popped out. Also did the felt mod. A couple mows in so far, with no issues...yet. Will be blowing the mower off to clean it and avoiding wet grass if at all possible. Man, this mower is HEAVY and certainly not a lightweight!

Has anyone noticed when using the mulch plug, that the clippings exit in earnest around the left rear drive wheel? Maybe it's just me, but the clippings discharge from under the deck right in this area.

Last edited:

Pixburd

Threads
Thanks for the post. Ended up shortening the plastic bushings as well and added a second set of OEM dust seals to the inner rear axle. Didn't epoxy anything as the seals had a really snug fit and haven't popped out. Also did the felt mod. A couple mows in so far, with no issues...yet. Will be blowing the mower off to clean it and avoiding wet grass if at all possible. Man, this mower is HEAVY and certainly not a lightweight!

Has anyone noticed when using the mulch plug, that the clippings exit in earnest around the left rear drive wheel? Maybe it's just me, but the clippings discharge from under the deck right in this area.
What is the "felt mod?"
I had no choice but to cut wet grass -- in spots -- today, and yes, the grass clumps in the left rear. It also escapes past the mulch plug.

Westman

Threads
What is the "felt mod?"
I had no choice but to cut wet grass -- in spots -- today, and yes, the grass clumps in the left rear. It also escapes past the mulch plug.
See post #122, this topic/thread.

Briantii

Threads

Yep, mine does the same.

Briantii

Threads
Kinda like tapping the adjustor and grease fitting idea. If you cut down the Honda plastic bushing a little bit to make room in the adjustor barrel for grease, would that work? Probably need to epoxy the dust seals on both ends of the adjustor to keep them from popping out, correct?

Yeah I thought the grease would work well too... but I think the CORE of the issue is the lack of seals on the drive wheel side because instead of just having a well greased setup, I ended up with a congested packed full of grease AND dirt mess. If we seal it up well enough I suspect even the plastic bushings will be fine.

Briantii

Threads
Hey guys - sorry I don't check this forum as much as I should... but... good news. I'm now 1/2 way though season 2 on the "original" needle bearing mod as described in the first post with zero maintenance to the drive system. Still working great.

civic

Threads
Hey guys - sorry I don't check this forum as much as I should... but... good news. I'm now 1/2 way though season 2 on the "original" needle bearing mod as described in the first post with zero maintenance to the drive system. Still working great.
This year I have been mowing every 3 days due to all the rain. No issues with the roller bearing set up. The felt set up helps but there are still openings where dirt can get in. I do believe double sealing is the best bet and less expensive as well as easier. I plan on cleaning and re-greasing the pinion gears sometime in Nov-Dec. and will report back. My mower is about 10 years old and all is fine. I have noticed the engine stop pad is wearing. I know this isn't the thread to talk about this but has anyone replaced it?