Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion

Briantii

Threads
  • / Can't Pull Mower Backwards - HRR216VLA to bearing conversion
This year I have been mowing every 3 days due to all the rain. No issues with the roller bearing set up. The felt set up helps but there are still openings where dirt can get in. I do believe double sealing is the best bet and less expensive as well as easier. I plan on cleaning and re-greasing the pinion gears sometime in Nov-Dec. and will report back. My mower is about 10 years old and all is fine. I have noticed the engine stop pad is wearing. I know this isn't the thread to talk about this but has anyone replaced it?
I have the roto-stop clutch version but I’d look to see if you can find an adjustment for the brake.

civic

Threads
I have the roto-stop clutch version but I’d look to see if you can find an adjustment for the brake.
I don't have this model. What model number do you have? Are you needing cable adjustment? I found this
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69345/Honda-Hrc216.html?page=46
Check U-tube there are lots of videos on these mowers, just take them for what they are worth. I have found Western Iowa Tech Community College how to videos on U-tube very helpful, not sure they have one for what you need.

Briantii

Threads
I don't have this model. What model number do you have? Are you needing cable adjustment? I found this
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/69345/Honda-Hrc216.html?page=46
Check U-tube there are lots of videos on these mowers, just take them for what they are worth. I have found Western Iowa Tech Community College how to videos on U-tube very helpful, not sure they have one for what you need.

Ive got the hrr216k8vya. It has the ability to disengage the blade and idle so it doesn’t have the engine brake pad deal - it’s built into the clutch assembly for the blade system. I was just saying you may want to look for an adjustment on the engine brake before replacing the assembly.

civic

Threads
Ive got the hrr216k8vya. It has the ability to disengage the blade and idle so it doesn’t have the engine brake pad deal - it’s built into the clutch assembly for the blade system. I was just saying you may want to look for an adjustment on the engine brake before replacing the assembly.
The engine brake is spring loaded and the pad is almost gone. I did replace it, very easy just need a er to remove the flywheel which I rented at O'reilly's Auto Parts. I also drilled out the front wheels and put in a copper tube to keep the wheels from wobbling.

civic

Threads
The engine brake is spring loaded and the pad is almost gone. I did replace it, very easy just need a er to remove the flywheel which I rented at O'reilly's Auto Parts. I also drilled out the front wheels and put in a copper tube to keep the wheels from wobbling.
Didn't proof read. I rented a puller to remove the flywheel.

Rich M.

Threads
Question for those that have dealt with the rear adjuster issue. I have just finished (hopefully) replacing the right side adjuster and it took way too long, most of the time was dealing with moving inside 25mm circlip out of the way.I have two different Channellock snap-ring pliers (medium 927 and small 926) and it was a struggle. My pliers worked well getting the 12mm circlips off. The replaceable pins for the Channellock tips seem to be too small for the large 25mm circlip openings. It seems the 929 (larger model) has thicker tips that may work better. Is anyone using a different brand that works in removing the circlips?

I did not stand my mower on the front nose to perform the service. Instead, I used a lift table and jacked up the rear so I could do most of the work sitting.

Again so far, the only complication is the inside circlip.

I certainly do not want to battle with circlip in the future so if anyone can share their experience, please let me know.

Well, got to stop here, I am off to replace the left adjuster.

Last edited:

PCLE

Forum Newbie
Threads
I've been known to be pretty dumb. Does the felt go on the back side of the wheel? I between the back side of the wheel and the black cover on my HRR? I have a washer/seal kit I was going to try to put on the bushing side closest to the wheel. I need to take this thing apart and fix it this weekend. I'm not doing the best fix with the needle bearings. Just gonna clean up the axel and try to seal it up so not debris gets in.

Rich M.

Threads
I am not using the felt, but I believe it is on the backside of the wheel cover.

civic

Threads
I've been known to be pretty dumb. Does the felt go on the back side of the wheel? I between the back side of the wheel and the black cover on my HRR? I have a washer/seal kit I was going to try to put on the bushing side closest to the wheel. I need to take this thing apart and fix it this weekend. I'm not doing the best fix with the needle bearings. Just gonna clean up the axel and try to seal it up so not debris gets in.
Check my post #22 for the felt. There is a picture. Where the red is is where the felt goes.

civic

Threads
UPDATE: I took everything apart today and the the sealed bearings failed. These bearings could not take the weight of the mower. I am very disappointed and had to go back to the stock set up. I had a feeling this could happen since these bearings were very thin. The bearings came apart. The weird thing about this is I had no issues. Has anyone here gone a year on their set up and took apart to inspect?