Can't get wheels off.

skillet

Threads
I have an Allis Chalmers 611 Hydro and can't get the wheels off. The tires are straight flat and I can't change them out. The rims are mounted so oddly and look as if they are welded on the axle. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

T J Blazek

Threads
Might have a solution for you. Have a neighbor down the road that has a Ford 8N and he had the same problem. The tires were dry rotted. I went down to help him; a 6 pack and 3hrs. later; the only thing we did was get it out of the barn. Several days later he called me again and told me to COME DOWN NOW!! (No Emergency). When I got there there was a tire truck in his driveway. The tire man had jacked the whole back end of that tractor up about 2" and was changing those tires. If I hadn't have seen it I wouldn't have believed it! That tractor sat there; and he broke down; beat off both tires; installed 2 new tubes and tires in a little over an hour. We sat in lawn chairs and watched him. They charged him $25 extra per tire to come out. Again; if I hadn't have seen it; I wouldn't have believed it. Good luck!! T

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob E

Threads
I'm not familiar with you tractor, but I had the same problem on an MTD not too long ago. I used a 2/3 jaw gear puller set up for 2 jaw, but replaced the jaws with eye bolts. I ran the eye bolts through the holes in the wheel meant to attach wheel weights and put big fender washers and wing nuts on the backside. I proceeded to straighten out the eye bolts. I soaked the wheel to axle joint front and back with PB Blaster for almost 2 weeks. I still had to use the puller but the wheels came of pretty easy.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:smile: I have a Buddy that is a good tire man. He can change tires, install tubes with the tires and rims still on the tractor. I do not have the patience for tire work. If and when you do get them off, clean the axle real good and coat the axle with never-seize/grease before installing the rim, should never have a problem getting them off again.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
If the wheels are welded onto the axles it looks like you will have to install the tires on the tractor with the wheels on the tractor. It sounds like someone did a cob job some time in the pass. Other then that maybe cut the weld off and reweld it when you install the wheels??

skillet

Threads
Thank y'all for the advice. Would pictures help y'all diagnose the problem more thoroughly? Thanks in advance.

skillet

Threads
Thanks Buckshot, I'll post them either today or tomorrow.

Buckshot 1

Threads
:thumbsup: You are Welcome, I will be looking for them.

skillet

Threads
Well, it's been raining for two days straight here and I can't get a picture. The wheels have a snap ring bearing but I can't get it off. The right rear tire has no snap ring but it still won't budge. I've tried PB Blaster and no luck. It may be badly rusted on but I have no way of heating the bearing up to bust it off. Anyone else had this problem? Thanks