Cannot find oil drain plug

sidemouse

Threads
And tipping on its side along with the oil comes the gas...making even more of a mess..
What an asinine way to change oil .

And this should have been mentioned, always tip the machine carburetor side UP.
The extractor however is most likely the best method.

4getgto

Threads
And this should have been mentioned, always tip the machine carburetor side UP.
The extractor however is most likely the best method.
Unless the drain plug is on same side as the carburetor..

upupandaway

Threads
Drain plugs started disappearing in the early 2000's when mower OEM decks started blocking the drain plug on the engine, which later progressed to since you can't access the drain then there is no reason to have it on the engine
I beg to disagree. I mean sure, sell a model with no tap\bolt for use where you can't get to it such as on a power washer but I have seen quite a few Quantums on mowers with the flat spot where the bolt went. In other words- they still used the same mold to cast the part but want to save the 39 cents and not drill\tap the hole.

I personally have no problem about tipping it to change the oil.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Seems like when the Honda motors with no drain plug showed up Briggs followed their lead.
For the guys who tip the mower and have gas run out the cap cap vent. Put a plastic bag under the cap it will stop the leak.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I beg to disagree. I mean sure, sell a model with no tap\bolt for use where you can't get to it such as on a power washer but I have seen quite a few Quantums on mowers with the flat spot where the bolt went. In other words- they still used the same mold to cast the part but want to save the 39 cents and not drill\tap the hole.

I personally have no problem about tipping it to change the oil.
The transition engines had the drain plug undrilled and unthreaded, but later models the drain plug boss was no longer in the engine pan.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The transition engines had the drain plug undrilled and unthreaded, but later models the drain plug boss was no longer in the engine pan.
Remember that engine moulds cost hundreds of thousands of dollars to make so no one is going to scrap them till they are worn out .
And with exotic metal moulds as used in modern casting machines that can be a very very long time ,
Add to that the equipment used to make the moulds is also very expensive so when saving every cent counts no modifications get made till it is absolutely necessary which would usually be when a new model replaces the old one .
As for saving a few cents, yes that is exactly why it is done because YOU the mower buyers have an unrealistic idea about prices so mower makers are forced to cut costs where ever possible.
If Joe Public bought on quality then 1/2 of the people would be using Honda's and Honda would still be making ride on mowers and Honda would still be the dominant top end mower engine in ride ons.
But the public has been brain washed that they can have it all for nothing so buy cheap.
And as dad used to say
"he who buys cheap pays thrice "
I am currently doing tyres on a Greenfields mower that is 42 years old for a couple who are in their 80's .
They bought it when they bought their 2 acre property 42 years ago and it will probably run another 42 years .
It was 2 times the price of all of the imported US mowers when they bought it but has worked out to be 1/4 of the price of buying one of the heavily advertised US imports none of which would have lasted this long.

craigr007

Forum Newbie
Threads
I must be the stupidest person around, but I cannot seem to find the oil drain plug for my B&S engine.

I own a B&S engine type 124702-0166-01 which is mounted to a Billy Goat leaf vacuum. I'm posting here since the engine has also been used on mowers, so please forgive me.

I cannot seem to find the oil drain plug, even after consulting
Jack's Small Engines. No square lug is visible. I'm hoping someone can help me locate the drain.

Thank you very much!
THE NEWER BRIGGS DO NOT HAVE A DRAIN PLUG. LIKE THE OTHER PERSON POSTED. NEED TO SUCK IT OUT. OR TURN THE ENGINE TO DUMP THE OIL OUT OF THE DIPSTICK OR OIL FILL

X580

Threads

Attachments

• C5E74E32-6375-4D51-AE8B-8A461175D01D.jpeg
    C5E74E32-6375-4D51-AE8B-8A461175D01D.jpeg
    26 KB · Views: 2