Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

JimP2014

Threads
Most common causes of sheared flywheel keys on riders is oil or grease on the crankshaft taper or improper torque. Unless you hit something that causes a sudden stop of the flywheel. And I have had them shear and rotate the flywheel 180 degrees on startup when not set with a proper torque wrench.

Looks like Briggs dealer site is saying the flywheel torque is supposed to be 110 lb/ft or 149 Nm So that may be the reason for the sheared flywheel key.
You know I vaguely remember that from 3 years ago. I'm going to go back to that spec. Apparently 80 ft lb is incorrect. I also figured out my flywheel is tapered and from this other website entirely the guys saying it's mostly for positioning for the initial installation and he said you could probably run an engine without a flywheel key if you got the proper torque spec

JimP2014

Threads
You know I vaguely remember that from 3 years ago. I'm going to go back to that spec. Apparently 80 ft lb is incorrect. I also figured out my flywheel is tapered and from this other website entirely the guys saying it's mostly for positioning for the initial installation and he said you could probably run an engine without a flywheel key if you got the proper torque spec
Thanks IEngine

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Correct. The key just is a placeholder to keep the flywheel and crankshaft in the proper alignment while the torque is applied.

JimP2014

Threads
Correct. The key just is a placeholder to keep the flywheel and crankshaft in the proper alignment while the torque is applied.
ILengine thanks for your help and all this. I can say it's pretty wet outside and tomorrow morning I'm going to be trying and get everything going. But the only other question is, do you recall a stand-alone washer that sits on top in some order before the actual bolt? I do see how the bolt that I have has a washer sort of built in underneath it and it looks like concave up. But besides that I'm just wondering if there's an additional washer that fits between the bolt and the actual flywheel itself?

Thanks,
Jim

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
ILengine thanks for your help and all this. I can say it's pretty wet outside and tomorrow morning I'm going to be trying and get everything going. But the only other question is, do you recall a stand-alone washer that sits on top in some order before the actual bolt? I do see how the bolt that I have has a washer sort of built in underneath it and it looks like concave up. But besides that I'm just wondering if there's an additional washer that fits between the bolt and the actual flywheel itself?

Thanks,
Jim
No additional washer.

JimP2014

Threads
No additional washer.

It runs it skips here and there no more banging noise. Maybe a slight hunt and surge. I have not adjusted the fuel air mixture screw nor the idle screw.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads

It runs it skips here and there no more banging noise. Maybe a slight hunt and surge. I have not adjusted the fuel air mixture screw nor the idle screw.

Jim

JimP2014

Threads

Jim
So I tightened it up to about 100 foot pounds. And then it wouldn't restart. I thought shared the flywheel key again but I decided at that point even after torquing it to torque it a little bit more. It's pretty much up near 100. It's an old school torque device

JimP2014

Threads
ILengine thanks for your help on this so far it's the success if I have a damaged flywheel fan and I certainly don't want to screw off anything that I spent about 16 days trying to fix, but I'm wondering if it can cut? Say maybe 800 square feet without blowing up. Definitely got to order flywheel fan. They're about 30 bucks on Amazon. Anybody have any ideas? Can slightly damaged flywheel fan, plastic type. Provide enough cooling to cut 800 square feet of grass. That's all I want to do?

Providing of course when I put the PTO clutch on it keeps running.

Thanks,
Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Lower left corner of the valve cover has some oil dripping. The valve cover is not a perfect seal but could there be something else going on?1000009880.jpg