Briggs& Stratton engine will not turn over

davis2

Threads
Just did another test with a commercial fan blowing air away from the cylinder head and a thermal gun registered. OH that stands for overheating of the thermal gun so the temperature was up around 900° f. I have trouble believing this is all related to a carburetor, but I'm not ruining out that possibility?
If your fuel/air mix isn't right, you could have problems, but the techs here could elaborate on the finer points of the combustion process and how it relates to your engine.

amon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Running the engine without the shroud on will cause over heating. I believe you have a blockage in the carb and not getting enough gas or you have a intake leak and its causing it to run lean which will also make the engine run hot. Both will cause surging.

JimP2014

Threads
Just did another test with a commercial fan blowing air away from the cylinder head and a thermal gun registered. OH that stands for overheating of the thermal gun so the temperature was up around 900° f. I have trouble believing this is all related to a carburetor, but I'm not ruining out that possibilit

Running the engine without the shroud on will cause over heating. I believe you have a blockage in the carb and not getting enough gas or you have a intake leak and its causing it to run lean which will also make the engine run hot. Both will cause surging.
Okay, thanks for this this explanation. I appreciate it. I did find when I put my hand over the plastic intake that's part of the carburetor. It definitely affects the hunting and surging and smooths it out. Closing the choke by hand on that butterfly has the same effect. It's just when you're not doing any of that. The hunting and surging are present . So I am getting a new carburetor tomorrow and I am going to focus on the carburetor possibly some crack where the intake meets the engine block. I also got a new cylinder head gasket just in case and bought a new air filter so hopefully this solves everything.

Thanks,
Jim

amon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, thanks for this this explanation. I appreciate it. I did find when I put my hand over the plastic intake that's part of the carburetor. It definitely affects the hunting and surging and smooths it out. Closing the choke by hand on that butterfly has the same effect. It's just when you're not doing any of that. The hunting and surging are present . So I am getting a new carburetor tomorrow and I am going to focus on the carburetor possibly some crack where the intake meets the engine block. I also got a new cylinder head gasket just in case and bought a new air filter so hopefully this solves everything.

Thanks,

Thanks,
Jim
By closing off some of the air going in makes it have a richer air fuel mixture which is the same as partially closing the choke. I'm not going to keep posting replies to this so good luck

JimP2014

Threads

July 21st about 1:00 p.m. I made sure the governor was set correctly so throttle on high throttle turn the governor shaft to the left. Don't force it. Tighten it up. Made sure the intake manifold gasket was properly installed. That's tight. Brand new fuel line. Brand new fuel filter. Brand new on off switch for the fuel. Expecting brand new carburetor in a few hours. Hopefully that solves the hunting and surging.

JimP2014

Threads

July 21st about 1:00 p.m. I made sure the governor was set correctly so throttle on high throttle turn the governor shaft to the left. Don't force it. Tighten it up. Made sure the intake manifold gasket was properly installed. That's tight. Brand new fuel line. Brand new fuel filter. Brand new on off switch for the fuel. Expecting brand new carburetor in a few hours. Hopefully that solves the hunting and surging.
Turn the governor shaft clockwise they say

JimP2014

Threads
Well after many attempts right now it seems to be running okay. The temperatures are still kind of high. A brand new carburetor from Amazon out of the box needed. No adjustments. It's the other one is probably garbage and I wouldn't know it because of so many things going wrong.

But since I have a thermal gun and if I'm putting all the housing back and all the cooling stuff, air filter stuff all of that and then run it at say idle. The question is how hot should the exhaust pipe get to? How hot should the cylinder head get to? How hot should say the engine around the starter get to and assume I won't be running it anymore then 5 minutes at idle?

Thanks,
Jim

JimP2014

Threads

I put everything back and I was just wondering about the temperatures so I have a thermal gun and I started the mower up. It starts up pretty good. No more hunting and searching so thanks to a brand new carburetor that issue seems to be resolved, but I'm still concerned about what happened 6 weeks ago where the exhaust pipe and muffler separated and I'm familiar with that one and then maybe a minute later I heard a metal bang or something similar and then it shut off and would not restart. So just wondering what the opinions are about? The video where I took temperature is a various components.

Thanks,
Jim

JimP2014

Threads
Tonight was the first time I was able to drive the riding mower around the yard without any adjustment on the carburetor so I took a ride out of the box. It runs pretty good from having a tachometer on the machine, but not right now. I'm guessing it's probably running like 2800 RPMs without any blade engaged and I ran it for maybe 10 minutes and then looked underneath the hood and the temperature of the exhaust pipe I think was 688° f and the cylinder had was about 210° f which I was kind of surprised. I'm not sure about what others think about these temperatures but it seemed like everything was going okay for the 10 minutes. I ran it so I ran it in about say 4th or 5th gear and it goes up to 7th gear

Craftsman Garage

Threads
I'm just happy I don't have to deal with one of those never-ending problem engines like what you have, there's a reason that I only run v-twins or V8s.😎