Briggs MST

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
How many of you guys on here are Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technicians other than me. Just curious how many are on this forum since there is only about 5000 in the world.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what makes a MST. I have done mechanic work all my life with most of the years as a truck mechanic. I sure am not a Briggs MST but work on small engines in my home shop more for something to do in my retirement years. I have never been stuck on a repair job yet that a couldn't fix. I sure don't miss the hard heavy work on trucks and the electronics . I find everything simple, lighter and easier to work on a mower then a modern car or truck which I still have to do time to time. If you don't beleave me just change a head gasket on a newer car and then a briggs and you will see what i mean.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes im a MST. Been one since 2005.
Only about 270ish MST in the UK.
Its great when a pomus doctor comes in the workshop acting all high and mighty and saying its only a lawnmower and you ask him how many doctors in the uk (about 10,000)compared to MST's. Seems to shut them up.

MST-Master Service Technician.
You go on a 4 day school with an exam on the final day.
Put through things like how engine components work like carbs, alternators,valves etc.
Also how to find certain info.
A MST might not remember all about briggs but know where to find it.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Just what makes a MST. I have done mechanic work all my life with most of the years as a truck mechanic. I sure am not a Briggs MST but work on small engines in my home shop more for something to do in my retirement years. I have never been stuck on a repair job yet that a couldn't fix. I sure don't miss the hard heavy work on trucks and the electronics . I find everything simple, lighter and easier to work on a mower then a modern car or truck which I still have to do time to time. If you don't beleave me just change a head gasket on a newer car and then a briggs and you will see what i mean.

Imagine taking a 4 1/2 exam with a 85% failure rate to become a ASE certified auto mechanic. And 20% of people thats been in the job for 20 years will never pass it. That is about the extend of it, so I was just wondering who else was on here that had passed the qualifications. The main benefit of being a MST is the district reps don't give you any flack, plus does have a few extra benefits.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
sure sound like something for a person getting into small engine repair might want to look into. It would make getting a job a lot easier seeing the rates are over 65 dollars a hour. I would almost think within time all engines will go to EFI and that is going to take some training. Its going to motorcycles now. As for me if the customer doesn't like my no qualifications don't bother me. At my age I don't need it seeing its more a hobby then a money making job. For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

But you prob didnt have a computer in your pocket like it is now.
Also with the training you can find the answer quicker giving more time for other things.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
But you prob didnt have a computer in your pocket like it is now.
Also with the training you can find the answer quicker giving more time for other things.

Life was a lot different back then, after putting a full day of work in the dealership shop I would come home to more work seeing I worked part time for a contractor with five worn out junk trucks to work on. Then when the week end came around I drove for him. Then in our play time it was cycles or snowmobiles which it always seems a snowmobile or cycle was always riped down for someone. Then every fall was hunting time from small game to deer. I really don't know if we had computers if life would of been different. Yes my son in law and grandson pull with tractor and they use the computer all the time but my grandson is also a mechanical engineer with five years of collage.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

Its got to the point with small engines that all warranty (digital pictures may be required in some cases), parts lockup, service manuals are all online. No paper manuals any more. Some of the Kohler engines are EFI, and you hook your laptop to the lawnmower to diagnose the problem. Most of the OEM's have went to online certification and annual training requirements.

I am also a Dolmar dealer and the latest saying now is you can get any trimmer you want as long as it is 4 stroke. 4 stroke chainsaws will be coming in the next few years.

One of the upcoming benefits is Briggs is going to allow their MST's to authorize their own engine and short block replacements if we attach digital photos to the claims instead of contacting the parts distributor for authorization which may also require digital pictures to be sent to them first.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Its got to the point with small engines that all warranty (digital pictures may be required in some cases), parts lockup, service manuals are all online. No paper manuals any more. Some of the Kohler engines are EFI, and you hook your laptop to the lawnmower to diagnose the problem. Most of the OEM's have went to online certification and annual training requirements.

I am also a Dolmar dealer and the latest saying now is you can get any trimmer you want as long as it is 4 stroke. 4 stroke chainsaws will be coming in the next few years.

One of the upcoming benefits is Briggs is going to allow their MST's to authorize their own engine and short block replacements if we attach digital photos to the claims instead of contacting the parts distributor for authorization which may also require digital pictures to be sent to them first.

As I said its in motorcycles now and you even say its coming in chainsaws. When EFI hits the lawn mowers you will see some big improvements. Bring it on

Mowers007

Forum Newbie
Threads
ILENGINE said:
How many of you guys on here are Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technicians other than me. Just curious how many are on this forum since there is only about 5000 in the world.

G'day mate. Let me tell you this. I am one of three that work in the same workshop in Victoria Australia. Cheers.