Briggs MST

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Pug, don't put me in the same category as IL, as most on this forum will say he knows far more than me. Welcome aboard Joe.

joeb36

Forum Newbie
Threads
How many of you guys on here are Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technicians other than me. Just curious how many are on this forum since there is only about 5000 in the world.
MST and ASE master tech

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Now you blokes have got me thinking.
Is there any advantage of an independant workshop in attaining a MST ?
I ask this becuse I did the on like Kohler on a while back hoping it might allow me to obtain wholesale access to Kohler parts, but no such luck, they seemed to treat it like a joke.
Will the B & S course get me access to the B & S protal or will I still need to be attached to an authorised B & S franchise ?
Being mobile so working mostly from the back of the van I can not open accounts with most suppliers so I spend more time trying to find parts than I do fitting them.
A week out of the workshop is a big price to pay particularly when customers direct access to me 24/7 is a big part of my business model.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Bert, it is more of a respect thing than anything. But being a MST requires you to do annual training, so they would have to give you access to the portal for testing and training, which I think would include parts lookup, at least my MST account allows parts lookup.

I originally became an MST back in 2001 because my briggs field rep is a pain in the rear, and that is not the word I wanted to use, and thinks he is smarter than everybody else. Briggs tends to treat their MST's with more respect than just the normal techs.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks.
I thought that might be the case.
Now the dollar has nosedived direct importing parts from the USA Retailers is no longer economically viable.
Supplying parts to the customer at cost is bad enough but having to subsadise the parts cost from the labour is not on.
Thus I am looking for alternate sourcing streams for parts.
Down here the empathis is 99.9999% on selling wholegoods at obscene profit levels and the same companies control both the parts supply & wholegoods supply.
Thus Kohler will happily charge $ 700 for a courage flywheel.
All Power have obtained the distribution rights for all Ariens products so Stens parts will very quickly become unavailable as All Power is primarily a glass front retail whole goods franchise chain.

This forum has been a god send to me and I am most grateful for all those who have directed others ( and thus me ) to sources of information.
Being a small, small engine workshop, annoying reps with bad attitude is not a problem.
The Stens rep used to call in on the way to or from the Sydney ( whole state) warehouse as my workshop is sort of on the way.
I bump into my Gripskie rep ( aftermarket wholesalers ) when I pick up parts from their warehouse

cashman

Threads
Never done the Briggs MST. I've passed the Engine Service Association business and mechanics course. Member of ESA for over 30 years. I am a Kohler MST and was a Kohler Central Distributor Sales and Service Manager for 25 years.