Export thread

Briggs MST

I

ILENGINE

How many of you guys on here are Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technicians other than me. Just curious how many are on this forum since there is only about 5000 in the world.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Just what makes a MST. I have done mechanic work all my life with most of the years as a truck mechanic. I sure am not a Briggs MST but work on small engines in my home shop more for something to do in my retirement years. I have never been stuck on a repair job yet that a couldn't fix. I sure don't miss the hard heavy work on trucks and the electronics . I find everything simple, lighter and easier to work on a mower then a modern car or truck which I still have to do time to time. If you don't beleave me just change a head gasket on a newer car and then a briggs and you will see what i mean.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Yes im a MST. Been one since 2005.
Only about 270ish MST in the UK.
Its great when a pomus doctor comes in the workshop acting all high and mighty and saying its only a lawnmower and you ask him how many doctors in the uk (about 10,000)compared to MST's. Seems to shut them up.

MST-Master Service Technician.
You go on a 4 day school with an exam on the final day.
Put through things like how engine components work like carbs, alternators,valves etc.
Also how to find certain info.
A MST might not remember all about briggs but know where to find it.

I

ILENGINE

Just what makes a MST. I have done mechanic work all my life with most of the years as a truck mechanic. I sure am not a Briggs MST but work on small engines in my home shop more for something to do in my retirement years. I have never been stuck on a repair job yet that a couldn't fix. I sure don't miss the hard heavy work on trucks and the electronics . I find everything simple, lighter and easier to work on a mower then a modern car or truck which I still have to do time to time. If you don't beleave me just change a head gasket on a newer car and then a briggs and you will see what i mean.

Imagine taking a 4 1/2 exam with a 85% failure rate to become a ASE certified auto mechanic. And 20% of people thats been in the job for 20 years will never pass it. That is about the extend of it, so I was just wondering who else was on here that had passed the qualifications. The main benefit of being a MST is the district reps don't give you any flack, plus does have a few extra benefits.

reynoldston

reynoldston

sure sound like something for a person getting into small engine repair might want to look into. It would make getting a job a lot easier seeing the rates are over 65 dollars a hour. I would almost think within time all engines will go to EFI and that is going to take some training. Its going to motorcycles now. As for me if the customer doesn't like my no qualifications don't bother me. At my age I don't need it seeing its more a hobby then a money making job. For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

But you prob didnt have a computer in your pocket like it is now.
Also with the training you can find the answer quicker giving more time for other things.

reynoldston

reynoldston

But you prob didnt have a computer in your pocket like it is now.
Also with the training you can find the answer quicker giving more time for other things.

Life was a lot different back then, after putting a full day of work in the dealership shop I would come home to more work seeing I worked part time for a contractor with five worn out junk trucks to work on. Then when the week end came around I drove for him. Then in our play time it was cycles or snowmobiles which it always seems a snowmobile or cycle was always riped down for someone. Then every fall was hunting time from small game to deer. I really don't know if we had computers if life would of been different. Yes my son in law and grandson pull with tractor and they use the computer all the time but my grandson is also a mechanical engineer with five years of collage.

I

ILENGINE

For one thing when I was making my living as a mechanic I sure had no time to play on a computer and forums because as I recall I put in a lot of work hours.

Its got to the point with small engines that all warranty (digital pictures may be required in some cases), parts lockup, service manuals are all online. No paper manuals any more. Some of the Kohler engines are EFI, and you hook your laptop to the lawnmower to diagnose the problem. Most of the OEM's have went to online certification and annual training requirements.

I am also a Dolmar dealer and the latest saying now is you can get any trimmer you want as long as it is 4 stroke. 4 stroke chainsaws will be coming in the next few years.

One of the upcoming benefits is Briggs is going to allow their MST's to authorize their own engine and short block replacements if we attach digital photos to the claims instead of contacting the parts distributor for authorization which may also require digital pictures to be sent to them first.

reynoldston

reynoldston

Its got to the point with small engines that all warranty (digital pictures may be required in some cases), parts lockup, service manuals are all online. No paper manuals any more. Some of the Kohler engines are EFI, and you hook your laptop to the lawnmower to diagnose the problem. Most of the OEM's have went to online certification and annual training requirements.

I am also a Dolmar dealer and the latest saying now is you can get any trimmer you want as long as it is 4 stroke. 4 stroke chainsaws will be coming in the next few years.

One of the upcoming benefits is Briggs is going to allow their MST's to authorize their own engine and short block replacements if we attach digital photos to the claims instead of contacting the parts distributor for authorization which may also require digital pictures to be sent to them first.

As I said its in motorcycles now and you even say its coming in chainsaws. When EFI hits the lawn mowers you will see some big improvements. Bring it on

M

Mowers007

ILENGINE said:
How many of you guys on here are Briggs and Stratton Master Service Technicians other than me. Just curious how many are on this forum since there is only about 5000 in the world.

G'day mate. Let me tell you this. I am one of three that work in the same workshop in Victoria Australia. Cheers.

P

Peter Fleming

Hi, my name is Peter. I have just qualified as an MST.in Ireland. I work for a Castlegarden.GGP. main importer for the R.O.Ireland.

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Hi, my name is Peter. I have just qualified as an MST.in Ireland. I work for a Castlegarden.GGP. main importer for the R.O.Ireland.

Congratulations, and WELCOME TO LMF! :welcome:

I

ILENGINE

Welcome to LMF from a fellow MST since 2001.

G'day from the Waikato in New Zealand, i've been a MST since 2000 & will have to do the on-line resit in april next year to keep certified, i also have done simular on-line training for Kohler & Husqvarna.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

G'day from the Waikato in New Zealand, i've been a MST since 2000 & will have to do the on-line resit in april next year to keep certified, i also have done simular on-line training for Kohler & Husqvarna.

I know what you mean, iv got to sit it asap aswell. luckily you can do it in our own time.

At the annual B&S tech update, every year until 2007 a MST got a badge/tie pin here in N.Z. 1 year in 2005 i got 1 from the local update & was also sent 1 from B&S in wisconcin & a beer can cooler.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

At the annual B&S tech update, every year until 2007 a MST got a badge/tie pin here in N.Z. 1 year in 2005 i got 1 from the local update & was also sent 1 from B&S in wisconcin & a beer can cooler.

We still get our tie pins at the moment but its the gold badge that has the year printed that sticks on the MST wall plaque that iv not had recently.
Briggs service manager say there is a backlog worldwide.

I was just wondering about workshop hourly charge out rates where MSTs like us do our thing, my boss put our hourly rate up to nz$75 per hour inc tax ( up from $70) yesterday, here in New Zealand thats a average charge out rate, but i have heard of some shops charging $100 for working on ride on mowers & thats with not having a MST on the pay roll. the currency exchange rate at the moment is around nz$1 will get 83 cents u.s.
I would be interested in any comments.
thanks

C

chance123

I was just wondering about workshop hourly charge out rates where MSTs like us do our thing, my boss put our hourly rate up to nz$75 per hour inc tax (

In your country you charge tax on hourly labor? In the US we charge sales tax only for parts sold/used. Jan 1rst, sales tax went up from 7.75% to 8%

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

I was just wondering about workshop hourly charge out rates where MSTs like us do our thing, my boss put our hourly rate up to nz$75 per hour inc tax ( up from $70) yesterday, here in New Zealand thats a average charge out rate, but i have heard of some shops charging $100 for working on ride on mowers & thats with not having a MST on the pay roll. the currency exchange rate at the moment is around nz$1 will get 83 cents u.s.
I would be interested in any comments.
thanks

I charge 」30 pounds +20% tax so 」36 an hour.
Exchange is 0.52 british pence to 1New Zealand dollar. 100 pence is 1pound.
So we are charging roughly the same.
Its very difficult as domestic customers say "its only a lawnmower" when they see the invoice.
What time do you allow to service a tractor or lawnmower?
Are you fixed menu priced?

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

In your country you charge tax on hourly labor? In the US we charge sales tax only for parts sold/used. Jan 1rst, sales tax went up from 7.75% to 8%

We pay tax on everything apart from safety clothing.
Parts and labour.

We pay tax on everything apart from safety clothing.
Parts and labour.

Here in N.Z. we pay 15%G.S.T. tax on everything ( G.S.T. = goods and services tax), so our workshop hourly charge out is really $65.22 plus 15% tax = $75.003

Its very difficult as domestic customers say "its only a lawnmower" when they see the invoice.
What time do you allow to service a tractor or lawnmower?
Are you fixed menu priced?

A push mower depending if it's a 2 or 4 stroke anywhere from 45mins to 1 hour for a basic service
(but you always find somthing else wrong), 2 hours + for a ride-on (depending on size/type ect)
yes your comment on what the customer says when they get the invoice-, well some customers you wish never came in to your shop:mad: :confused2:

C

chance123

well some customers you wish never came in to your shop:mad: :confused2:

LOL Damn near fell on the floor. LOL
One of those just left here

T

thse

Im 19 years old and am currently working toward my MST, which Im doing all online. And Stihl has a concrete saw that is fuel injected and it is a very good saw.

reynoldston

reynoldston

well some customers you wish never came in to your shop

Anyone in repair business has been there. I am to the point in my life now being retired, part time I weed them type customers out but even at that new one crops up ever so often. For some reason they think you owe them for working on there equment.

Im 19 years old and am currently working toward my MST, which Im doing all online. And Stihl has a concrete saw that is fuel injected and it is a very good saw.
good on ya mate, stick with it, the TS 500i (worlds first handheld machine with electronic fuel injection system) will be launched here early this year.

P

pile81

That saw is badass got to actually run one....it has diagnostic software too that you plug in to check it....there is a chainsaw as well that has a self adjusting carb ms250 I think....the gold school for stihl is pretty cool...

RegularJoe

RegularJoe

Earned it for the 1st time in Nov. 2012.
Just discovered this forum....looking forward to following regularly and learning alot from everyone's input. :rolleyes:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Just discovered this forum....looking forward to following regularly and learning alot from everyone's input. :rolleyes:

:welcome: to LMF! :smile:

RegularJoe

RegularJoe

:welcome: to LMF! :smile:
LawnMowerFanatic - Many thx.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Good that you have got your MST.
How long have you been in the lawnmower trade?

RegularJoe

RegularJoe

Good that you have got your MST.
How long have you been in the lawnmower trade?
Thx. for asking.
Brand spankin' new (without any hands-on experience the MST was 'quite a trip' :- ).
Looking for a job in N. GA 'as we type.'
Reviewing your profile: How is the off-road bicycling 'over there' in Scotland? We have some great 'forest service roads' and back side of nowhere riding here in the northern part of the state of GA.
Starting to ramble, however: I have family members who has been to Scotlland and they tell me that the beauty of the landscape is beyond words.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Thx. for asking.
Brand spankin' new (without any hands-on experience the MST was 'quite a trip' :- ).
Looking for a job in N. GA 'as we type.'
Reviewing your profile: How is the off-road bicycling 'over there' in Scotland? We have some great 'forest service roads' and back side of nowhere riding here in the northern part of the state of GA.
Starting to ramble, however: I have family members who has been to Scotlland and they tell me that the beauty of the landscape is beyond words.

If you have the MST status then a job shouldnt be too difficult but of course experience is key aswell.
I did my MST before the powerportal and had microfiche to contend with.

Keep an eye out for ILENGINE and Rivets posts as they know their stuff.

Yes i am very lucky with landscape here.
I mountainbike at probably the best trails in Britain called the 7 stanes(stone).
7stanes - 7stanes Mountain Biking Scotland l Mountain bike trails l Borders l Dumfries and Galloway
We also have one of the darkest areas in the world in a forest park which brilliant to go biking.
Forestry Commission Scotland - Galloway Forest Park Dark Skies

Problem is we have had the 3 wettest summers in a row.
I had to go to spain just to show my kids what the sun looked like :laughing:

lawn mower fanatic

lawn mower fanatic

Haha! :laughing: LOL 2.gif

RegularJoe

RegularJoe

Many thanks, Pug, for your guidance.

If you have the MST status then a job shouldnt be too difficult but of course experience is key aswell.

Ah microfiche that brings back memories, yes i also sat mine before the power portal came along, i did a speed test with our parts/office person recently, i was able to find part numbers (old)quicker than her using microfiche, while she was looking them up on the power portal,
Congradulations to you Regularjoe for gaining MST status, well done mate:thumbsup:

I

ILENGINE

Yes i am very lucky with landscape here.
I mountainbike at probably the best trails in Britain called the 7 stanes(stone).
7stanes - 7stanes Mountain Biking Scotland l Mountain bike trails l Borders l Dumfries and Galloway
We also have one of the darkest areas in the world in a forest park which brilliant to go biking.
Forestry Commission Scotland - Galloway Forest Park Dark Skies

Problem is we have had the 3 wettest summers in a row.

Thanks for the complement Pug.

RegularJoe

RegularJoe

well done mate:thumbsup:
Thank you Sir.

GetTechnicalWithJd

GetTechnicalWithJd

I have been an MST for 9 years. We have three MSTs in my family.

R

Rivets

Pug, don't put me in the same category as IL, as most on this forum will say he knows far more than me. Welcome aboard Joe.

pugaltitude

pugaltitude

Your being to modest Rivets!!! :laughing:

J

joeb36

MST and ASE master tech

B

bertsmobile1

Now you blokes have got me thinking.
Is there any advantage of an independant workshop in attaining a MST ?
I ask this becuse I did the on like Kohler on a while back hoping it might allow me to obtain wholesale access to Kohler parts, but no such luck, they seemed to treat it like a joke.
Will the B & S course get me access to the B & S protal or will I still need to be attached to an authorised B & S franchise ?
Being mobile so working mostly from the back of the van I can not open accounts with most suppliers so I spend more time trying to find parts than I do fitting them.
A week out of the workshop is a big price to pay particularly when customers direct access to me 24/7 is a big part of my business model.

I

ILENGINE

Bert, it is more of a respect thing than anything. But being a MST requires you to do annual training, so they would have to give you access to the portal for testing and training, which I think would include parts lookup, at least my MST account allows parts lookup.

I originally became an MST back in 2001 because my briggs field rep is a pain in the rear, and that is not the word I wanted to use, and thinks he is smarter than everybody else. Briggs tends to treat their MST's with more respect than just the normal techs.

B

bertsmobile1

Thanks.
I thought that might be the case.
Now the dollar has nosedived direct importing parts from the USA Retailers is no longer economically viable.
Supplying parts to the customer at cost is bad enough but having to subsadise the parts cost from the labour is not on.
Thus I am looking for alternate sourcing streams for parts.
Down here the empathis is 99.9999% on selling wholegoods at obscene profit levels and the same companies control both the parts supply & wholegoods supply.
Thus Kohler will happily charge $ 700 for a courage flywheel.
All Power have obtained the distribution rights for all Ariens products so Stens parts will very quickly become unavailable as All Power is primarily a glass front retail whole goods franchise chain.

This forum has been a god send to me and I am most grateful for all those who have directed others ( and thus me ) to sources of information.
Being a small, small engine workshop, annoying reps with bad attitude is not a problem.
The Stens rep used to call in on the way to or from the Sydney ( whole state) warehouse as my workshop is sort of on the way.
I bump into my Gripskie rep ( aftermarket wholesalers ) when I pick up parts from their warehouse

C

cashman

Never done the Briggs MST. I've passed the Engine Service Association business and mechanics course. Member of ESA for over 30 years. I am a Kohler MST and was a Kohler Central Distributor Sales and Service Manager for 25 years.