Briggs Leaking Oil

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And the thickness of the sim is determined by closing up the motor, measuring the end float then placing the approppriate sized shim ( or shims ) on the crank then buttoning up the engine a second time.
I have been setting end floats on cranks that are perpendicular to the case joint since I was 12
Shim or no shim the gasket changes the end play .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
I did think it was odd briggs,from what I could see only sells a .012" shim.
It would be wise to use the original gasket

Mr-Mom

Threads
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll get a genuine gasket and look for the shims and make sure they are reassembled correctly.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Should be only 1 shim on the crankshaft, just slides over the shaft and sits flush against the gear. Sometimes the camshaft will have a shim too.

Mr-Mom

Threads
I had some time this after noon, so I wend ahead and pulled the engine off the mower chassis. As warned - one of the three bolts broke. It was odd, the bolt was not seized but it would only turn a tiny bit. It was the one on the right side that you can see the tip of coming through the motor, and I could see that it was turning. I gave it lots of PB blaster and tried working it lose. I got it up to about 1/4 of a turn and then the head busted off. Fortunately, I was able to drill the bolt out pretty easily and a 3/8 bolt and nut will work fine as a substitute.

As for the gasket, it came apart when I split the cases, so it is hard to say if if was actually damaged and causing the leak. As the photos show, there is plenty of fresh oil right a the place where I see the worst evidence of a leak. I'll have a new gasket in a couple of days and I'll button it up and see how it does.

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    755.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2009.JPG
    IMG_2009.JPG
    791.8 KB · Views: 12

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Ever heard of using UV dye to find the leaks before you tear things apart?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
You put dye in the oil and with a UV flashlight you use it to trace the leak. works great for cars and trucks too, i rarely use it for small engines though.

Mr-Mom

Threads
I'll remember that. It could be useful someday. As for this issue, the place where I think the leak originated from was not visible as it was right under the cylinder. I'll know the truth when I get the gasket, put the thing back together and run it. If it still leaks, I might just try the dye route!

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Really a clean looking engine inside, shows good maintenance.