Briggs 17.5 opposed twin will not restart when hot 42A707

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
  • / Briggs 17.5 opposed twin will not restart when hot 42A707
I have a question. Where would be a good place to go to ask about a Toro horse tiller? I have a 8 hp and I don't have a manual. Many thanks
Toro.com or your local Toro dealer

troy-built

Threads
Ok update time. It finally stopped raining enough here for me to get the Murry out and test it out. After about a 10 min ride I stopped for a bit. Went to start it and the same thing no start. After about 20 min it started right up. Oh well!!!

Ok I'm back to square one but I'm not giving up as it's running better than it ever has. Hell it might be fixing to blow up.. LOL

troy-built

Threads
LOL I don't blame you guys I don't know what to say either. LOL

troy-built

Threads
I would love to have time to watch such a thing but I just don't have the time. Someone with less to do might enjoy it. Now back to more important things.
Oh by the way this place has gotten very slow again, Oh well.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Ok update time. It finally stopped raining enough here for me to get the Murry out and test it out. After about a 10 min ride I stopped for a bit. Went to start it and the same thing no start. After about 20 min it started right up. Oh well!!!

Ok I'm back to square one but I'm not giving up as it's running better than it ever has. Hell it might be fixing to blow up.. LOL
Get yourself a can of freeze spray
Most electronics stores keep it for testing circuit boards with.
When the engine is hot, spray the magneto magnet in the flywheel with the freeze spray till it is at room temprature.
Magnets loose magnetism as they get hotter
As this is a quite old engine it just might be that the magnets have weakened to the "marginal state" where at the slow cranking speeds they just can not produce a spark when hot

troy-built

Threads
Get yourself a can of freeze spray
Most electronics stores keep it for testing circuit boards with.
When the engine is hot, spray the magneto magnet in the flywheel with the freeze spray till it is at room temprature.
Magnets loose magnetism as they get hotter
As this is a quite old engine it just might be that the magnets have weakened to the "marginal state" where at the slow cranking speeds they just can not produce a spark when hot
Now that's a thought I haven't thought of and that makes a lot of sense. Thank you so much for your help.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You get used to these sorts of things when you play with 100 year old motorcycles.
It is fairly common for them to clutch start but not kick start as the magnets get weak.
So I can kick start the bike first thing in the morning or after it has sat for about 2 hours, but stop the engine for refuling and you better have a reasonable hill near by ,
Not some thing I wouldhave thought about with a mower, but the same applies spin at 1000 rpm and get a spark, spin at 400 rpm cranking speed and no stark.
However from time to time I do see a hand held that will throw a nice spark with no plug installed but won't throw a spark when the plug is in & you are pulling agains compression

troy-built

Threads
Ok Well since I'm back here with another problem I will give an update on this thread. I believe I fixed my no start problem, I think. I took off all the heat shielding and it seems to be fixed. But the weather has gotten colder so we shall see what the summer brings. I'm using it much more now pulling my trailer so we shall see.

Thanks for every ones help.