Blade bolts to tight

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
For professionals, who work on OPE for a living, air power is the best choice. For owners, a top quality 1/2” cordless electric impact will work fine. 5/8” blade bolts are usually torqued to around 108 ft pounds. My 1/2” Dewalt has no problem removing them. In fact, it doesn’t have a problem removing the lug nuts on my F-150. Those things are torqued to 150 ft pounds. Try putting just a dab of anti seize on the threads of each blade bolt.
I use my 1/2 Dewalt 20 Volt impact to remove rotary cutter blades. Normal torque 350-450 lb/ft.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
We got into the problems with the planet by "getting with it " and buying way too much that we did not need just to be "on trend" or fashionable .
Having just gone through my third flood in 3 months I have no intention of adding to the problem by tossing away perfectly good air tools in favour of highly polluting battery tools.
I need a compressor to inflate tyres , run the plenishing hammer, the air chisel & spray booth so using it to power the impact is the RIGHT thing to do by humanity and it does not hurt my waller either
Being set up for air I will remain with air & corded power tools as I have more of them than I actually need , many of which I got cheap because people were tossing out perfectly good corded 1/2" , 5/8 " & SD drills in order to be "with it "
If setting up from scratch I may have gone battery but having been in recycling and done chemistry I really do not want to be part of destroying the little of the planet we have left .
Battery tools are convienent & like all lazy things substantially worse for the planet , they are not clean , green & environmentally good they are filthy but they shift the pollution & environmental degration elsewhere so of course as it is not in our backyard it doesn't exist, till of course it does and we end up with a flood every month , tornados where there has never been any recoded before cyclones that exceed all known ones by orders of magnitude , show falls & / or hail so heavy that it caves in roofs .

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
You people are causing yourselves a wagon full of un-necessary problems with those impacts . Oil the threads , tighten the nuts with a box wrench about 12" long until they feel tight and go mow . Those manufacturers are specifying those ridiculous torque values because of liability .
I follow the factory torque spec or if I can't find that, look at the bolt size and torque value for it.

I like my feet and legs LOL. I'd look even funnier walking on my knees.

Also if you oil or anti sieze, any type of lube, you need LESS torque than a dry rating. Just an FYI.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
165 psi is way beyond the design spec of my Air Cat as it is designed for 90 psi supply.

Hopeful the air tank is designed for this much pressure and the tank is drained every so often to keep it from rusting out.
Yup, most air tools are rated around 90psi. Some even lower.

Actually if you run a larger hose to the tool you get better performance anyway. It's not all about high psi. Course you get better jam at high psi with a smaller hose too. Woot woot....

Most of the issues I've seen are those cheesy regulators. Hit the trigger on any large air tool then let off. You will hear air still moving towards your tool. Huge pressure drop towards the tool building pressure back up. My tank needs a larger "volume" regulator I think???

rdedrick

Threads
When I first bought my Ferris I had trouble removing the blades even with a 1/2 air wrench. Since then I picked up a really long breaker bar on sale cheap at Harbor Freight.

Peebee

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just put anti seize paste on the threads…easy removal

jerrycmorrow

Threads
I am not a professional mechanic so I have no need for the pneumatic impacts yall are talking bout. I have always wedged a broken axe handle between the blade and the deck and then, using a cheater bar and an old craftsman 1/2" ratchet, I loosen (and then tighten) the blade bolt. Little more time consuming but always works for me. Just sayin