Blade bolts to tight

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have a mz42 great mower but the blade bolts are really difficult to remove for sharpening even with impact wrench.
For professionals, who work on OPE for a living, air power is the best choice. For owners, a top quality 1/2” cordless electric impact will work fine. 5/8” blade bolts are usually torqued to around 108 ft pounds. My 1/2” Dewalt has no problem removing them. In fact, it doesn’t have a problem removing the lug nuts on my F-150. Those things are torqued to 150 ft pounds. Try putting just a dab of anti seize on the threads of each blade bolt.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have the HF earthquake 1/2 impact. 3 years of almost daily use. It will handle most anything i need to remove. There are better ones out there but the earthquake gets the job done.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
View attachment 60024

I switched from a 40 gal horiz compressor to the vertical quincy. Takes up half the space.
If I went that direction I get one thru my Amazon account as it would about $550 less for the same compressor. But I got find out the rated noise level of the unit. I got to keep things fairly quite in the neighbor. It is one the reason for my current impact as it has a built-in muffler.

Last edited:

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
For professionals, who work on OPE for a living, air power is the best choice. For owners, a top quality 1/2” cordless electric impact will work fine. 5/8” blade bolts are usually torqued to around 108 ft pounds. My 1/2” Dewalt has no problem removing them. In fact, it doesn’t have a problem removing the lug nuts on my F-150. Those things are torqued to 150 ft pounds. Try putting just a dab of anti seize on the threads of each blade bolt.
Unlike the joke of an impact that I started out with. The Campbell Hausfeld from Walmart I had was given away after I got my current impact.

I am going to give the ATF and acetone mix a try later as I do run into a lot of rusty nuts. Nothing else has worked very well yet.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The Quincy compressor is not very quiet. When it kicks on i can't hear the radio and conversation is difficult.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Quincy compressor is not very quiet. When it kicks on i can't hear the radio and conversation is difficult.
That why I ask as the neighborhood does have a noise restriction; sorta of, as a couple are third shaft workers so they sleep in the mornings. I trying to keep peace here. besides my roosters are loud enough to wake the dead at times if you are standing next to one.

I am doing my research for a quieter compressor that I can sit outdoors on the covered porch. When I do put one out there I will run 3/4 - 1 inch main lines to the outlets.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Unlike the joke of an impact that I started out with. The Campbell Hausfeld from Walmart I had was given away after I got my current impact.

I am going to give the ATF and acetone mix a try later as I do run into a lot of rusty nuts. Nothing else has worked very well yet.
I have tried the ATF and acetone thing and didn't see it working any better than anything else. I have about a half dozen spray cans on the shelf. Rust buster, kroil, liquid wrench, PB blaster, Deep Creep. Of all of them the Seafoam Deep Creep seems to work the best. I do have an oxy/propane torch that helps with the stubbirn ones. Been thinking about getting a mini ductor

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
That why I ask as the neighborhood does have a noise restriction; sorta of, as a couple are third shaft workers so they sleep in the mornings. I trying to keep peace here. besides my roosters are loud enough to wake the dead at times if you are standing next to one.

I am doing my research for a quieter compressor that I can sit outdoors on the covered porch. When I do put one out there I will run 3/4 - 1 inch main lines to the outlets.
Noise isn't a problem for me. I can walk out my back door to my pistol range in the back yard and and blast away. Country living has its perks.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Noise isn't a problem for me. I can walk out my back door to my pistol range in the back yard and and blast away. Country living has its perks.
Here what was country living is now the suburbs as for me too many city idiots have move out here. I even had a idiot neighbor's wife to swear that I opened up on their house with my 12 ga. Well first I wouldn't do that. And if I did there would a massive hole in their vinyl siding as T shot does a lot damage especially with express loads. Beside his wife can't tell the difference between a .22 and a 12 ga. He even accused me of not knowing how to use the guns safety that I have been using for nearly 50 yrs. At least I know not to shoot level with a 9mm pistol without a back stop of any kind beside he may have more rounds in his 9 mm than my .357 but with 158 grain hollow points it only take one hit to bring down what I shooting at.

Personally I am not on speaking terms with him or his wife anymore and that is fine with me.

Oh well I going field rat hunting and awaiting it to warm up some this morning before I lay down on that cold asphalt driveway.