Best for hills?

JD X485SE

Threads
I think I have decided on the x350. It will be more versatile as far as doing other things too. Another question I have is about deck size. 42 vs 48. Which would be better for uneven terrain, and would a larger deck help with balancing the machine. I have a little over an acre to cut, about 1/3 of it is on a slope.

bkeller500

Threads
On flat ground a larger deck will require fewer passes. You might also have an easier time trimming with the extra deck space. Since JD suspends their decks you will get more deck tilting on the uneven areas.

JD X485SE

Threads
The X350 is only slightly more robust than the box store Deere you get at Lowes and HomeDepot and has the same weak transmission. Google “failed Tuff Torq k46”.

FWIW, I owned an X320 20 years ago before upgrading to a used X485SE.

ptindustrial

Forum Newbie
Threads
While the choice between a lawn tractor or a ZT type of mower is a personal one of choice, the performance and comfort of mowing become concerns - and to traverse slopes is important from a safety and performance standpoint. That said, we mow around our 20 acre property with lawn tractors, and I have learned how to handle slopes with them. All the tractors are 4WD - but that is 4WD either in or out, and what we have found to take the cake is the New Holland TZ 25DA series. Not sure if they are made anymore, but these are heavy duty tractors and ours has the Sensitrak option. This is where the operator doesn't have to switch between 4WD and 2WD, but like AWD on a SUV, the tractor senses traction and sends power to the front wheels as needed. This is my wife's mower, as she was never comfortable with mowing slopes on our property.
As far as falling off of a tractor on a slope - my JD tractors all have side rail hand grips - and they are handy when on a slope to hole onto for stability. This is a cheap addition which the user can add - and I'd recommend using the factory handles from the OEM as they fit well and work nicely!

lemen

Forum Newbie
Threads
One way or other reason there are some post from yesterday on page 4 of this tread. Strange.

But this was my posting:
I live in Norway, and have my property is also very uneven to name it soft.
Had a sit on top mower for some years, but purchased this last sommer:
CLICK

Of course this is a Norwegian shop, but you can find them on aliexpress etc.

larryuno

Threads
My own farm has some serious grades, and I have used a 42" lawn tractor, 18+ hp, with chains on for years and years. In case of a spin uphill, shifting weight will obtain traction, and straight uphill/downhill is the safest way to cut, so a bench below is mandatory. Hydrostatic transmission for stable descents. Sidehill cutting is dangerous if you have burrowing animals around, as I do, as a new hole downhill can tip you.

Ray52

Threads
I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
I have a X324 and a X354 and I mow roadside hills across from my place. I tried a zero turn but it could not mow o the slopes. The x324 and x354 are heavy enough to stay on the
I think I have decided on the x350. It will be more versatile as far as doing other things too. Another question I have is about deck size. 42 vs 48. Which would be better for uneven terrain, and would a larger deck help with balancing the machine. I have a little over an acre to cut, about 1/3 of it is on a slope.
Go with the x354. You will not regret it. My X304 has 1200 hours on it and is a great mower.

TobyU

Threads
The idea of differential lock is for the added traction when you need it. ZT's tend to tear up the turf when turning. Unfortunately the only steering wheel ZT that I am aware of is made by Cub, and they have a horrible build quality. I'd stick with a tractor .
I've seen Toro ZTRs with steering wheels.

RayMcD

Threads
As bkeller500 indicated, it is much easier to trim with a wider deck, the one thing I wlsh my ZTR had is larger rear wheels for a better ride. This machine also has 20" rear wheels. Just something to consider, Cheers, r