Best for hills?

qmark

Threads
I mow one very steep area with my Grasshopper front mount. No slide on the side hil. The front mount deck seems to balance it all out. If one needs extra traction in a spot, the deck lifts hydraulically and ads weight to the drive tires. It is a very stable unit.

Steve Smith

Threads
For hills you need traction. That means tire size and aggressive tread. I am thinking that the X350 is the wrong mower for your hills. It is a great little mower, but I would look for something with bigger more aggressive tires.

Texas Chainsaw

Forum Newbie
Threads
You may want to consider a machine with the Briggs and Stratton Oil Guard System. which allows you to mow at very steep angles with out starving your motor of its lubrication.

I have seen a number of these on zero turns, but If I'm mowing a slope then I would rather use a Stand On or a radio controlled mower.

1BUCKEYE

Threads
Buy a tractor built for this. I have very steep slopes in my yard. I use a Simplicity Prestige. It has a limited slip drive as well as locking traction control. It also has a 54 inch deck that aids in balance allows me to cut close to trees without needing a real sharp turn. You do have to be careful about turns on steep slopes to not damage turf, especially if the ground is not dry. I can go up and down steep slopes or crosswise. I do have to plan how to mow around trees on steep slopes to not damage the turf but I can't imagine a better way. I have tried other mowers including a 4x4 Prestige and a zero turn. The 4x4 worked well but did not turn sharp enough for me. That might be the ticket for you. I also have a Toro push mower but rarely use it. Unfortunately they stopped making new Simplicity Mowers but they are still or sale new and used. They are well built so it pays to fix up a used one if needed. They make a larger on called a Legacy, and a cheaper version called the Conquest.
I'VE BEEN USING MY SIMPLICITY LEGACY (GARDEN TRACTOR W/TRACTOR TIRES & REAR PTO FOR THE TILLER) FOR 25 YEARS ON MY MOUND BEHIND THE POND. (THE MOUND WAS BUILT FROM THE 1/3 ACRE POND, I HAD DUG.) I'VE NEVER HAD A SLIP ISSUE. I ALSO USE MY BAD BOY ZT ~ 54" DECK, WITH NO SLIPS, REGARDLESS OF WHICH WAY I MOW...STRAIGHT ACROSS ~ STRAIGHT UP & DOWN, OR AT ANGLES. I'M GUESSING IT IS NO LESS THAN A 20 DEGREE CLIMB. I'D GIVE UP THE BAD BOY, LONG BEFORE I'D EVEN THINK OF GIVING UP MY SIMPLICITY. LOL YEP... THE POND IS ABOUT 20' FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUND. LOL

Attachments

• DEER ON MOUND.jpg
    DEER ON MOUND.jpg
    397.8 KB · Views: 12

Chuckers

Forum Newbie
Threads
I largely disagree with everyone telling you to mow up/down is the only way to go. Mowing across a slope is usually a big no-no but up/down has it's downfalls too. In many cases you will find a hybrid approach to be best....that would be a diagonal approach, and the angle will depend on various factors. But when diagonal is not possible then up/down would be preferential over side to side. You're asking for trouble mowing across.

FourPawCruiser

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
Buy a garden tractor, why? ZTR = danger. No traction, NO Steering.

Skippydiesel

Threads
Graze the slope - automatic, may make money and/or pleasure

bkeller500

Threads
Depending on the slope even a 4-wheel drive GT has limits. I would encourage a visit by a couple dealers and seek their advice on a local level.

JD X485SE

Threads
Let me go against the group here and say neither of your choices is especially good for hills - the ZT because of its design and the X350 because its tranny is designed for FLAT mowing. It has the same transmission as the box store Deeres. You’ll have to go to a high end X3xx or something in the X500 series to get a better transmission.