Export thread

Best for hills?

dustin727

dustin727

I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.

M

MParr

You need to calculate your slope angle.
In general, a lawn tractor is going to be better on slopes.
The Kawasaki FR651V powers the X350. The engine manual states that it is designed for continuous operation at 25 degrees.
The John Deere X350 owners manual says 15 degrees is maximum for safety.

dustin727

dustin727

I will be mowing from side to side. I'm not as worried about sliding as I am about tipping over sideways. I'm also not worried about tearing up the grass. I was thinking that maybe the zero turn would be wider and have a lower center of gravity, making it less likely to tip over. Am I wrong?

I

ILENGINE

Justin, what is at the bottom of the hill that you will be mowing. Z-turns for the most part don't do well on slopes. Especially if trying to mow side to side. There is nothing on the front of the mower to help hold the slope so all steering and slide prevention is on the back wheels. The moment that the tire on the low side of the slope looses traction ,front of the Z-turn will rotate down hill and your stopping point will be whatever is at the bottom.

dustin727

dustin727

At the bottom of the hill is flat land. So I'm more worried about rolling than sliding down the hill. Would I be better off with a lawn tractor. Also I will probably change to more aggressive tire on either one I choose.

I

ILENGINE

The Z turn has less chance of rolling, but a much bigger chance of sliding down the hill. The best option would be a lawn tractor and mowing up and down.

dustin727

dustin727

What about popping a wheelie and rolling backwards while going up the hill? Is that something to worry about with a lawn tractor?

R

Rivets

If you are worried about popping wheelies going up and down, in my opinion the slope is too extreme for either unit. Only way to really answer this question is to tell you to test both units on your slope first. This is one time where your gut will give you a better answer than any opinions on this site.

dustin727

dustin727

I think I have decided on the x350. It will be more versatile as far as doing other things too. Another question I have is about deck size. 42 vs 48. Which would be better for uneven terrain, and would a larger deck help with balancing the machine. I have a little over an acre to cut, about 1/3 of it is on a slope.

G

GearHead36

I would consider a ZTR with a steering wheel. Unfortunately, that seems to lock you into Cub Cadet, as they're the only ones selling them. I have one because of the slopes I have to mow, and it does MUCH better on slopes than the lap-bar ZTR it replaced. It's better on slopes than a standard ZTR or a lawn tractor. It has the lower COG of a ZTR, and slope holding ability of steerable front wheels. Plus two hydrostatic transmissions. Lawn tractors have only one transmission, and and open differential. Which means that if one wheel loses traction, both wheels do. With two transmissions, it acts more like a limited slip differential, which is better on hills and slopes.

Edit:
Re: deck size... if you have a full acre to mow, I'd go with at least a 48" deck, unless you have specific limitations, like a 46" gate to your back yard.

There are several YT videos showing the steering wheel Cub Cadets, but here's one that shows how well they work going across slopes.

bkeller500

bkeller500

Consider a used tractor with limited slip or tractor control features that engage both rear drive wheels for added traction and tractor stability. JD 500 series, Simplicity Conquest. A ZT on slopes can be dangerous and frankly much more difficult for the operator. Have a dealer bring one out to your property for a test.

G

GearHead36

Consider a used tractor with limited slip or tractor control features that engage both rear drive wheels for added traction and tractor stability. JD 500 series, Simplicity Conquest. A ZT on slopes can be dangerous and frankly much more difficult for the operator. Have a dealer bring one out to your property for a test.
A ZTR with a steering wheel is safer than a tractor. Lower CoG, and rear wheels are allowed to turn independently of each other, unlike on a tractor with a diff lock.

bkeller500

bkeller500

A ZTR with a steering wheel is safer than a tractor. Lower CoG, and rear wheels are allowed to turn independently of each other, unlike on a tractor with a diff lock.
The idea of differential lock is for the added traction when you need it. ZT's tend to tear up the turf when turning. Unfortunately the only steering wheel ZT that I am aware of is made by Cub, and they have a horrible build quality. I'd stick with a tractor .

I

ILENGINE

The idea of differential lock is for the added traction when you need it. ZT's tend to tear up the turf when turning. Unfortunately the only steering wheel ZT that I am aware of is made by Cub, and they have a horrible build quality. I'd stick with a tractor .
Also sold under the Troy-Bilt name

G

GearHead36

If you have the diff lock engaged on a tractor, it will tear up the turf more than a ZTR. I DO agree that's it's unfortunate that steering wheel ZTRs are only available from Cub. I got lucky, and came across a good deal on a Pro Z 100 S, which is a commercial unit. The residential Cubs, as well as Troy Bilts, Craftsmans, etc CAN be reliable mowers, but they can't be neglected or abused. They will not tolerate anything but good care. They don't have to be babied, but you won't get away with using them like a bush hog, never changing the oil, never servicing or cleaning the deck, and leaving it outside. If I had slopes like the OP has (and I think I do), and I had to choose between a durable lawn tractor, a durable lap-bar ZTR, and a steering wheel Cub ZTR, I'd go with the Cub ZTR. It's really a game changer on slopes. My Pro Z S replaced a lap-bar ZTR, and it feels WAY safer and more sure-footed on slopes. If the engine dies on my Pro Z, I won't be replacing the mower, I'll be replacing the engine.

Edit:
Cubs can be had with fabricated decks. Costs a bit more, but I'd opt for one of those over their stamped decks.

bkeller500

bkeller500

I’m glad you have a great experience with your Cub unit. Might be a better choice than I thought on your model. My experience is quite different.

B

bertsmobile1

There are 2 things to consider with slopes
1) stability & side slip where ZTRs perform very poorly\
2) oil circulation where vertical shaft engines perform very poorly because the oil sump is wide & shallow and running along a slope can & does end up with the oil pump out of the oil = seized top bush
So start with horizontal shaft engines .
These will all be commercial machines so relatively expensive however if maintained properly will last 100 years
If you can not run to that sort of money look at used out front fairway mowers
Most will have a 2 or 3 cylinder diesel engine that will run for 200 years but they do have big problems at the bottom of a steep hill

Tiger Small Engine

Tiger Small Engine

I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at an angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
Zero turn any day of the week on hills versus riding mower, period. Ten years of mowing professionally with zero turns. I would not touch some of the slopes and hills I have mowed with any riding mower.

M

montesa_vr

I have a lawn tractor and a lot of hills. Mine will climb really steep hills if I go straight up. If I try to go across the slope, the slightest bit of uneven ground will cause the uphill wheel to lose traction and I am stuck. With either kind of machine you need high quality hydro units for hills or your transmission(s) won't last the first summer.

poncho144

poncho144

I'm going to buy a new mower. I am trying to decide between a zero turn and a lawn tractor. I have a few pretty steep slopes, I will add pictures because I don't know what the angle is. I am trying to decide between z330m and x350. I will probably be mowing these slopes side to side, as opposed to up and down, or would maybe cutting up at a angle would be better. I've always cut it with a push mower and string trimmer. I'm getting to old for that now. I know I'll still have some weed eating to do. I want the mower that will get the most of this done and being safe. Any advice would help.
Had the same concerns and tried mowing slopes with a Simplicity Z 45" 27 hp B&S, it will work but very squirrely on wet grass. My Husq TS354D 54" 25 hp Kohler lock'n diff works real good up an down or sideways.
BUT...it ain't for da feint hearted...jus say'n. I be a Biker who is used to life onna edge.

2muchgrass2mow

I think I have decided on the x350. It will be more versatile as far as doing other things too. Another question I have is about deck size. 42 vs 48. Which would be better for uneven terrain, and would a larger deck help with balancing the machine. I have a little over an acre to cut, about 1/3 of it is on a slope.
I am in almost an identical situation. Everything I have read, and my own common sense told me that a ZT is not the machine for steep slopes. Hardly any weight in the front - which creates problems going both up hills and mowing across them. Dangerous! I had a Husky YT42 DXLS lawn tractor with an auto locking tranny that did a good job, but it eventually failed for reasons I won't bore you with.
After some research and thinking about it (I never even considered a ZT), I bought a JD X370 and added 2- 45 lb. weights on the rear. Those and my 160 lb. body weight get the job done - BUT I STILL AM VERY CAREFUL, ESPECIALLY MOWING ACROSS!! I also disabled the ridiculous button gizmo they put on there to mow in reverse. On hills, when a quick forward to reverse is essential, you don't want to be impeded with that. Again, unsafe. That control is just generally a pain, and IMO is only utile if you have a bunch of kids or dogs running around. I would never disable the seat switch though!
Finally, the 370 comes standard with hydraulic power steering and deck lift. for a guy like me with severe arthritis in both hands/wrists/fingers it was a lifesaver! Steers like my Lincoln MKZ . . . It will cost between 5-6K, and uses a bit more gas than the Husky did, but it is the absolute finest lawn tractor I've ever owned - and at 73 I've owned quite a few. But bottom line, I would steer you away from ZT's. I'm sure they are wonderful machines, and full disclosure I have never owned one for the above reasons. And with a shoulder replacement and arthritis in the other shoulder too, it would be nearly impossible for me to hold my arms up that long to maneuver it. If you are thinking of a 350, spend the extra $ and go with the X370. You won't be sorry!
PS - while a bigger deck might (I don't know) provide more stability, a 42" will cut closer in those gullies and crannies, and is more maneuverable generally, and I can't get anything larger in my basement. :)

F

Freddie21

I agree with GearHead. I had a very heavy Deere 316 tractor which I hated to give up, but it would not handle the hills. If I went along the slope, I fell off the machine. Going up\down, it would go down great but spin the drive tire on the way up. I went with a Cub steering wheel ZT and I love it. 60 inch commercial. It will go down controlled and make it back up with no problems. I can travel with the hill, but prefer up\down. The steered front wheels keep it straight. The low COG and arm rests make you feel locked in. 2014 and basic maintenance. Original belts. I cut almost 4 acres.

G

GrumpyCat

Zero turns use castor wheels on the front. Unsteered. These can be problematic on hillsides no matter twin stick, joystick, or steering wheel.

A lawn tractor with steering wheel directly connected to front wheels is probably best. I’m not familiar with the lawn tractor market these days but haven’t seen the same quality of build in lawn tractors as competition has brought to the zero turns.

G

GearHead36

I am in almost an identical situation. Everything I have read, and my own common sense told me that a ZT is not the machine for steep slopes. Hardly any weight in the front - which creates problems going both up hills and mowing across them. Dangerous!
Unless you have a ZTR with a steering wheel, which performs better, and is less dangerous on hills and slopes than a lap-bar ZTR or a lawn tractor. A lawn tractor will have more weight on the front, but that weight is higher than a ZTR. A steering wheel ZTR is the best of both. Low CoG, and steerable front wheels that help hold on slopes.

Zero turns use castor wheels on the front. Unsteered. These can be problematic on hillsides no matter twin stick, joystick, or steering wheel.

A lawn tractor with steering wheel directly connected to front wheels is probably best. I’m not familiar with the lawn tractor market these days but haven’t seen the same quality of build in lawn tractors as competition has brought to the zero turns.
Then you must not be familiar with the steering wheel ZTRs from Cub Cadet. The front wheels are steered. This is what makes them better on hills and slopes. I'm no CC fanboy. For applications suitable to standard ZTRs and lawn tractors, I don't recommend CC. But for this application, CC owns the market. The one machine that might be better would be a stand-on ZT. I prefer riding, so I prefer what I have.

On my current property, which has slopes and hills, I've tried a lawn tractor, a lap bar ZTR, and my current steering wheel ZTR. Hands down, the steering wheel ZTR works best on the hills and slopes.

S

Shady oak

The small town I live in bought the CC steering wheel commercial unit and loves it. They had used snappers for years. Very stable on side hills.

S

Skippydiesel

Zero turns do not handle operating across a steep slope well at all. Not only inefficient potentially dangerous.

Steep slopes are best handled by 4 x 4 mowers - there are many to choose from:

G

GearHead36

Zero turns do not handle operating across a steep slope well at all. Not only inefficient potentially dangerous.

Steep slopes are best handled by 4 x 4 mowers - there are many to choose from:
And they're all quite expensive compared to the CC steering wheel ZTRs, at least the residential versions. The commercial CCs are similarly priced to those you linked to.

Not sure about the others, but the Kubota GR has only one transmission, so the differential is open. It may have a diff lock feature, but if so, that does more damage to turf than ZTRs. It's also a tractor configuration, which has a higher CoG than a ZTR. I would not recommend the Kubota GR, even the 4wd version, for hills & slopes.

S

Skippydiesel

"Not sure about the others, but the Kubota GR has only one transmission, so the differential is open. It may have a diff lock feature, but if so, that does more damage to turf than ZTRs. It's also a tractor configuration, which has a higher CoG than a ZTR. I would not recommend the Kubota GR, even the 4wd version, for hills & slopes."

I was not actually recommending any one type just the concept of 4x4 and showing it in several diffrent configurations.

I agree that tractor type configurations will have a higher centre of gravity. No matter what is chosen, there will be some shortcoming, so it's a matter of choosing what suits best for the operating conditions and the $$ available to purchase (cost/effect). Having worked in agriculture all of my life, operating conventional tractors from 35 hp to 500 hp, I know that they can handle most slopes BUT skill & experince may be required in more demanding terrain.

S

Skippydiesel

Some words on "tractors" ;
Ride on lawn mowers are for the most part NOT tractors, even if they look a little like a miniature version.
Tractors come in all shapes & sizes, are heavy duty (compared with ride on mowers), usually diesel, have 3 point linkage & tow bars.
Horticultural ones can be as small as 20 hp, agricultural don't usually go below 35 hp and can range to over 500 hp
Their steering can be by front wheels or articulated chassis. The Italian make some superb low profile hill tractors with equal sized wheels and articulated chassis.
Tractors operating in wet/fragile soils can also have tracks instead of wheels, to minimise ground pressure/soil compaction
Tractors typically have independent PTO (power take off) sometimes two speed. Have high/low range (sometimes much more) transmission. These days modern tractors may have hydrostatic transmission that are light years away from your lawn mowers version.
They usually have Diff lock (differential locking) on demand, for the rear wheels only. Diff locks are either manually or automatically disengaged to go round a corner - this will do no more damage "to turf" than a non diff machine and may do to less, due less wheel slip.
Most tractors will have selectable split brakes ie able to operate left/right brakes independently to assist in turning.
Many tractors have adjustable front/rear wheel track ie the wheels can be moved out from the chassis
Tractors are not vehicles, they are a mobile power source for a non powered machine. The engines have a governor that will attempt to maintain a set rpm no matter the load. You do not drive a tractor (thats for vehicles) you operate a tractor and its various attachments.
Most tractors will start off/move in every gear ie you don't change up/down like a vehicle - the operator selects the gear that suits the operation & start in that gear - this may also include the appropriate engine rpm.
I hope this clears up some of the misunderstandings

G

GearHead36

When I refer to "tractor configuration", I mean, engine up front, rear wheel drive, steerable front wheels, single transmission which may be geared or hydrostatic. I do NOT mean to infer that a Cub Cadet XT1 that you get at Home Depot is the same as a 100HP John Deere farm tractor.

J

johnboy647

I would highly recommend the X350. I do some mowing with it on a pretty steep ditch in my yard without any problems. I have a 42 inch deck. I have a little over 900 hours on mine and have had absolutely no problems. The X350 is a very good machine.

P

Pdgreene77

I have not seen anyone mention a concern that the JD x350 has the weaker Tuff Torq K46 transmission like their previous x300 model. Is this true? K46 hydro transmissions have been reported to NOT be reliable for up-hill cutting. Reports say early-life failure. I second the suggestion of buying an tractor with diff lock ie x500 series. I too mow hills, and use a JD x530.

J

johnboy647

I agree with your comments on the K46 transmission. If the X350 has a weakness it is with the K46 transmission-and the hood design and durability. As stated I have over 900 hours thus far on my X350 and have had no transmission or engine or any other problems. I don't do that much mowing on hills or steep grades other than the ditch that borders one side of my yard-so maybe it would be wise to look at a four wheel drive model for hill mowing.

S

SHB

I mow about 10 acres that contains some significant slopes. Started with a lawn tractor (it was a craftsman), never had an issue, but the high CG definitely caused a pucker factor that limited the slopes I was comfortable to attack. Next was a 60” badboy ZTR with lugged tires, much better, the lower CG definitely felt better, was able to greatly expand the area I mowed, however damp soil conditions could result in a loss of traction and thus control. Mowing downhill was definitely more controllable on the steeper areas when the soil was damp. Current mower is a 60” eXmark radius with lugged tires, don’t have dimensions, but the tires are larger than the badboy. The eXmark is by far the “stickiest“ mower I have tried so far when it comes to slopes. I dont know if it’s the larger tires or weight distribution, but it just feels more solid on slopes, and I have had others tell me the same. It also has a roll bar, which I use when pushing the envelop on slope.

G

Gord Baker

I will be mowing from side to side. I'm not as worried about sliding as I am about tipping over sideways. I'm also not worried about tearing up the grass. I was thinking that maybe the zero turn would be wider and have a lower center of gravity, making it less likely to tip over. Am I wrong?
If you are at all uneasy about mowing the slope, keep off it. Zero Turn mowers are NOT good at traversing slopes. Plant ground cover.

R

rswapp

I wouldn't recommend either for slope mowing with turf tires and definitely not a lawn tractor unless you like riding side saddle.
I have a Ferris IS3000z and found it near impossible to mow slopes in line until I replaced the turf tires with a much grippier mud tire. Granted they do tend to tear the turf on turns but if you are careful they work just fine and don't cause damage to turf. I notice much more lateral grip than when using turf tires when slope mowing.

M

mmoffitt

up and down on hills!

L

lemen

I live in Norway, and have my property is also very uneven to name it soft.
Had a sit on top mower for some years, but purchased this last sommer:
CLICK

Of course this is a Norwegian shop, but you can find them on aliexpress etc.

R

RevB

First....across the slope is much harder and more dangerous. Straight up, straight down. My Bad Boy Would handle some pretty nasty slopes. Even with that I got tired of fighting the ZTR....had a Craftsman rider with an 18 horse single. Much easier to maneuver but had to put an electric fuel pump on it because the vacuum pump was way too weak. Used the ZTR to mow our runway at another property.

Even at the recommended slope some lawn tractors will uncover their fuel pickup. Depending on the tank they may need to be modified with a swing/swivel pick up.

Lastly....a zero turn works well in most cases except after a heavy rain on a slope next to a defined edge like a lake shore. You'll be forced to wait til much less slick or leave a healthy edge in order to maneuver safely.

F

Freddie21

I agree with GearHead. I have a long sloped are and used to use a large Deere garden tractor. After falling off twice, I purchased a used CC Commercial with the steering wheel and a 60" deck. Even though I am more comfortable going up\down it does great riding the hill. The fact that the front wheels are not just casters and are held in place with the steering, it keeps the mower tracking straight. Toro also makes a ZT with the steering wheel. I have the 42" model of it and it also does well.

B

bodean

What about popping a wheelie and rolling backwards while going up the hill? Is that something to worry about with a lawn tractor?
That depends on how much you weigh. With a zero turn, I had a problem with the rear end sliding down hill and getting stuck. More than once I’ve had to tow it out of the ditch with my truck, so I had no choice but to mow sideways to the slope. What I do is to lean forward and to the uphill side on the zero mower to help keep the center of gravity as low as possible. Be sure to wear the seat belt and keep the roll over bar extended just in case you do actually roll over. The belt will help to keep you on the mower instead of under it.

S

sotxmatt

Get a Hustler Zero Turn. My buddy needed help mowing his new property on the water with a massive slope. He tried a couple of others first he borrowed from friends and couldn't get the job done. I was surprised how well it went up and down the steep hill, we first backed up the hill as we thought it was so steep it would flip but it had no problem. He was so impressed he purchased it from me for the new price as he didn't want it so bad. dont waist your time with lawn tractors I flipped out of them several times trying to cut around my ponds sloped sides and went with the hustler because of the fab deck and Kawasaki motor. Get a XD level or higher as they have the upgraded transmissions that makes a difference! DONT, DONT, DONT get a lawn tractor for slopes!!

J

jcworks

You've probably already bought by now but I can telly you this from experience because part of my yard has a significant slope with a ditch at the bottom. When I bought my Toro ZTR I read the manual warning about mowing side ways on a slope. I tried that and it did slide. After that hair raising experience I mowed that area very cautiously and slower. I've not had an issue after that warning experience. ZTRs are great, I've run mine for 11 years now. But, you haven't said how steep your slope is. I'm thinking your slope is a lot more than mine. Mowing uphill with a ZTR you have to be real careful also and go slow. Coming out of a ditch I have to go real slow, I get the feeling of lightness on the front. But thats only one spot of my 1.7 acres. As much as I like ZTRs over the tractor I "think" in your case you'd be better off with a tractor especially since you said you will be mowing side to side.

J

jcworks

I'm getting the feeling your slope is quite significant. To keep from popping a wheelie go very slow going uphill. You mentioned uneven terrain too. I have some of that in my yard too. Go slow going uphill, real slow, till you get use to the feel. Watch for sensing any "lightness" as you mow uphill. In time you will be able to feel whats safe when mowing uphill. Be safe. A hot mower weighing several hundred pounds on top of you is no joke; you could regret that for life.

D

d2wing

Buy a tractor built for this. I have very steep slopes in my yard. I use a Simplicity Prestige. It has a limited slip drive as well as locking traction control. It also has a 54 inch deck that aids in balance allows me to cut close to trees without needing a real sharp turn. You do have to be careful about turns on steep slopes to not damage turf, especially if the ground is not dry. I can go up and down steep slopes or crosswise. I do have to plan how to mow around trees on steep slopes to not damage the turf but I can't imagine a better way. I have tried other mowers including a 4x4 Prestige and a zero turn. The 4x4 worked well but did not turn sharp enough for me. That might be the ticket for you. I also have a Toro push mower but rarely use it. Unfortunately they stopped making new Simplicity Mowers but they are still or sale new and used. They are well built so it pays to fix up a used one if needed. They make a larger on called a Legacy, and a cheaper version called the Conquest.

M

Mikaman

Strongly suggest you consider the Cub Cadet zero turn with STEERING WHEEL. This is much, much better on slopes than a lap-handle zero turn. With the steering wheel, the front wheels are actively turned, like a lawn tractor (zero-turn models with lap handles have simple casters for front wheels, making it very hard to control when mowing side-slope). Everything I read, before buying, said that a lap-handle zero turn is not recommended for steep slopes. The steering wheel/active front steered wheels solve that problem. I have some very steep slopes around a detention pond, and have no trouble mowing these side-slope. I think mine is model RZTSX42, not sure if they still make that exact model. Has been trouble-free for the 8 - 10 years I've owned it. If you prefer John Deere, unfortunately I don't think JD makes this type of mower. Going from memory, I think there were one or two other brands that offered ZT with active steering, maybe Toro, but I also seem to remember that they were all manufactured by the same company -- just sold under different brand labels. Good luck, and be extremely careful if you decide to try a lap-handle zero turn while mowing side-hillon steep slopes.

M

Mikaman

Justin, what is at the bottom of the hill that you will be mowing. Z-turns for the most part don't do well on slopes. Especially if trying to mow side to side. There is nothing on the front of the mower to help hold the slope so all steering and slide prevention is on the back wheels. The moment that the tire on the low side of the slope looses traction ,front of the Z-turn will rotate down hill and your stopping point will be whatever is at the bottom.
Zero turn with steering wheel is the answer

U

ukrkoz

I have very steep slopes in my property, some are like 30-40 degrees. I have no issues with ZTR on them. Unless grass is wet and it wants to slide on it. But, stability wise, superb. Of course, I have wide ass 60 inch mower with factory wide rear tires.... it's like a turtle...

Ad hoc, someone here recommended Hustler mower..
I had 2, I won't touch them again with long pole. They literally fall apart.

ddmoit

ddmoit

I used to cut my hills with a commercial Toro walk behind. I finally tried a Cub Cadet zero turn with the steering wheel that also controls the front wheels. It as worked beautifully on my steep hills.

B

Brucewayne

My suggestion would be to take a picture of the intended slope to be cut and have an adult in it to reference the size of the slope. Wheel weights might be an option. Take the picture to the intended vendor and ask for assistance as to the recommended choice.

Q

qmark

I mow one very steep area with my Grasshopper front mount. No slide on the side hil. The front mount deck seems to balance it all out. If one needs extra traction in a spot, the deck lifts hydraulically and ads weight to the drive tires. It is a very stable unit.

S

Steve Smith

For hills you need traction. That means tire size and aggressive tread. I am thinking that the X350 is the wrong mower for your hills. It is a great little mower, but I would look for something with bigger more aggressive tires.

I

ILENGINE

Zero turn with steering wheel is the answer
Yes, but models and brands are very limited in that configuration.

T

Texas Chainsaw

You may want to consider a machine with the Briggs and Stratton Oil Guard System. which allows you to mow at very steep angles with out starving your motor of its lubrication.

I have seen a number of these on zero turns, but If I'm mowing a slope then I would rather use a Stand On or a radio controlled mower.

1BUCKEYE

Buy a tractor built for this. I have very steep slopes in my yard. I use a Simplicity Prestige. It has a limited slip drive as well as locking traction control. It also has a 54 inch deck that aids in balance allows me to cut close to trees without needing a real sharp turn. You do have to be careful about turns on steep slopes to not damage turf, especially if the ground is not dry. I can go up and down steep slopes or crosswise. I do have to plan how to mow around trees on steep slopes to not damage the turf but I can't imagine a better way. I have tried other mowers including a 4x4 Prestige and a zero turn. The 4x4 worked well but did not turn sharp enough for me. That might be the ticket for you. I also have a Toro push mower but rarely use it. Unfortunately they stopped making new Simplicity Mowers but they are still or sale new and used. They are well built so it pays to fix up a used one if needed. They make a larger on called a Legacy, and a cheaper version called the Conquest.
I'VE BEEN USING MY SIMPLICITY LEGACY (GARDEN TRACTOR W/TRACTOR TIRES & REAR PTO FOR THE TILLER) FOR 25 YEARS ON MY MOUND BEHIND THE POND. (THE MOUND WAS BUILT FROM THE 1/3 ACRE POND, I HAD DUG.) I'VE NEVER HAD A SLIP ISSUE. I ALSO USE MY BAD BOY ZT ~ 54" DECK, WITH NO SLIPS, REGARDLESS OF WHICH WAY I MOW...STRAIGHT ACROSS ~ STRAIGHT UP & DOWN, OR AT ANGLES. I'M GUESSING IT IS NO LESS THAN A 20 DEGREE CLIMB. I'D GIVE UP THE BAD BOY, LONG BEFORE I'D EVEN THINK OF GIVING UP MY SIMPLICITY. LOL YEP... THE POND IS ABOUT 20' FROM THE BOTTOM OF THE MOUND. LOL

Attachments

C

Chuckers

I largely disagree with everyone telling you to mow up/down is the only way to go. Mowing across a slope is usually a big no-no but up/down has it's downfalls too. In many cases you will find a hybrid approach to be best....that would be a diagonal approach, and the angle will depend on various factors. But when diagonal is not possible then up/down would be preferential over side to side. You're asking for trouble mowing across.

F

FourPawCruiser

Buy a garden tractor, why? ZTR = danger. No traction, NO Steering.

S

Skippydiesel

Graze the slope - automatic, may make money and/or pleasure

bkeller500

bkeller500

Depending on the slope even a 4-wheel drive GT has limits. I would encourage a visit by a couple dealers and seek their advice on a local level.

JD X485SE

JD X485SE

Let me go against the group here and say neither of your choices is especially good for hills - the ZT because of its design and the X350 because its tranny is designed for FLAT mowing. It has the same transmission as the box store Deeres. You’ll have to go to a high end X3xx or something in the X500 series to get a better transmission.

JD X485SE

JD X485SE

bkeller500

bkeller500

On flat ground a larger deck will require fewer passes. You might also have an easier time trimming with the extra deck space. Since JD suspends their decks you will get more deck tilting on the uneven areas.

JD X485SE

JD X485SE

The X350 is only slightly more robust than the box store Deere you get at Lowes and HomeDepot and has the same weak transmission. Google “failed Tuff Torq k46”.

FWIW, I owned an X320 20 years ago before upgrading to a used X485SE.

P

ptindustrial

While the choice between a lawn tractor or a ZT type of mower is a personal one of choice, the performance and comfort of mowing become concerns - and to traverse slopes is important from a safety and performance standpoint. That said, we mow around our 20 acre property with lawn tractors, and I have learned how to handle slopes with them. All the tractors are 4WD - but that is 4WD either in or out, and what we have found to take the cake is the New Holland TZ 25DA series. Not sure if they are made anymore, but these are heavy duty tractors and ours has the Sensitrak option. This is where the operator doesn't have to switch between 4WD and 2WD, but like AWD on a SUV, the tractor senses traction and sends power to the front wheels as needed. This is my wife's mower, as she was never comfortable with mowing slopes on our property.
As far as falling off of a tractor on a slope - my JD tractors all have side rail hand grips - and they are handy when on a slope to hole onto for stability. This is a cheap addition which the user can add - and I'd recommend using the factory handles from the OEM as they fit well and work nicely!

L

lemen

One way or other reason there are some post from yesterday on page 4 of this tread. Strange.

But this was my posting:
I live in Norway, and have my property is also very uneven to name it soft.
Had a sit on top mower for some years, but purchased this last sommer:
CLICK

Of course this is a Norwegian shop, but you can find them on aliexpress etc.

L

larryuno

My own farm has some serious grades, and I have used a 42" lawn tractor, 18+ hp, with chains on for years and years. In case of a spin uphill, shifting weight will obtain traction, and straight uphill/downhill is the safest way to cut, so a bench below is mandatory. Hydrostatic transmission for stable descents. Sidehill cutting is dangerous if you have burrowing animals around, as I do, as a new hole downhill can tip you.

R

Ray52

I have a X324 and a X354 and I mow roadside hills across from my place. I tried a zero turn but it could not mow o the slopes. The x324 and x354 are heavy enough to stay on the
Go with the x354. You will not regret it. My X304 has 1200 hours on it and is a great mower.

T

TobyU

I've seen Toro ZTRs with steering wheels.

bkeller500

bkeller500

I've seen Toro ZTRs with steering wheels.
I don’t think Toro sells those in the US any longer.

R

RayMcD

As bkeller500 indicated, it is much easier to trim with a wider deck, the one thing I wlsh my ZTR had is larger rear wheels for a better ride. This machine also has 20" rear wheels. Just something to consider, Cheers, r

1BUCKEYE

MAYBE, SOMEDAY, SOMEONE WILL DEVISE A WAY OF PUTTING A WEED WHACKER ON A ZT OR TRACTOR. PUSH A BUTTON... THE WEED WHACKER COMES OUT FROM UNDERNEATH & THEN... YA FLIP A SWITCH TO TURN IT ON & OFF. PUSH THE BUTTON TO RETRACT IT.(KINDA LIKE "KILLIN' 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE", YA KNOW? LOL )

W

whiteshu

I chose a John Deere X322. Four wheel drive, four wheel brakes, handles on the fenders for crossing slopes.

Attachments

T

texhobbit

I have been lurking on this forum for some time but this is one topic that I feel very qualified to address. I just measured it and the slope that I mow is 25 degrees. I won't spend the money for a Ventrac so I've tried several other mower models in the past. Every lawn tractor that I tried would mow fine uphill but would "ski" downhill because of the upfront engine. I tried a regular zero turn once and could not keep the front end pointed in the direction I wanted to go. I used a rear engine Snapper for years but always felt like it was dangerous because I could never clutch it going uphill. If I did, there was no safe way to get started again without doing a wheelie. I only turned it over once when I was forced to stop on an uphill because of an obstacle. That was a scary incident! After I finally got it to start again, it blew blue smoke for an hour. I promptly decided to trade it in on a different mower. After much research (some on this forum) I opted for a 42" CubCadet RZT-S. This was back in 2012 and I'm still using it. As Gearhead mentioned it is a zero turn with a steering wheel. It is by far the safest mower for slopes that I can afford. I CAN mow the 25 degree slope from side to side without feeling tippy, but mostly mow up and down. The rear mounted engine (22hp) keeps me from sliding downhill although I did replace the stock tires with chevron ag tires. And with the independent hydrostatic drive units I can even stop and start on an uphill without the front wheels trying to come off the ground. So until I can afford a Ventrac, I'm sticking with the Cub RZT-S.

JD X485SE

JD X485SE

I chose a John Deere X322. Four wheel drive, four wheel brakes, handles on the fenders for crossing slopes.
You mention an X322 (which I've never heard of and neither has TractorData) and you picture an X738.

What?!?

D

davis2

You mention an X322 (which I've never heard of and neither has TractorData) and you picture an X738.

What?!?
OP could buy a couple goats...

S

Skippydiesel

One person's hill is another person's cliff.

Without seeing "THE HILL" , its slope, obstacles, even soil type, the best advice is either overkill or dangerously insufficient.

D

davis2

One person's hill is another person's cliff.

Without seeing "THE HILL" , its slope, obstacles, even soil type, the best advice is either overkill or dangerously insufficient.
I'm liking the goat idea...

G

GearHead36

I bet goats are more maintenance than just about any machine. They still need to be fed in the Winter.

However... I have several areas of brush that's littered with Poison Ivy, and I'd love to be able to rent some goats.

G

GrumpyCat

Some words on "tractors" ;
Ride on lawn mowers are for the most part NOT tractors, even if they look a little like a miniature version.
Tractors come in all shapes & sizes, are heavy duty (compared with ride on mowers), usually diesel, have 3 point linkage & tow bars.
Meh. If it tows, even a kid’s wagon, it is by definition a tractor.

You do know the thing with an engine at the front of a semi truck is a tractor?

G

GrumpyCat

I mow about 10 acres that contains some significant slopes. Started with a lawn tractor (it was a craftsman), never had an issue, but the high CG definitely caused a pucker factor that limited the slopes I was comfortable to attack. Next was a 60” badboy ZTR with lugged tires, much better, the lower CG definitely felt better, was able to greatly expand the area I mowed, however damp soil conditions could result in a loss of traction and thus control. Mowing downhill was definitely more controllable on the steeper areas when the soil was damp. Current mower is a 60” eXmark radius with lugged tires, don’t have dimensions, but the tires are larger than the badboy. The eXmark is by far the “stickiest“ mower I have tried so far when it comes to slopes. I dont know if it’s the larger tires or weight distribution, but it just feels more solid on slopes, and I have had others tell me the same. It also has a roll bar, which I use when pushing the envelop on slope.
If it has ROPS then it is probably over 1000 pounds, which would contribute to “sticky”.

G

GrumpyCat

MAYBE, SOMEDAY, SOMEONE WILL DEVISE A WAY OF PUTTING A WEED WHACKER ON A ZT OR TRACTOR. PUSH A BUTTON... THE WEED WHACKER COMES OUT FROM UNDERNEATH & THEN... YA FLIP A SWITCH TO TURN IT ON & OFF. PUSH THE BUTTON TO RETRACT IT.(KINDA LIKE "KILLIN' 2 BIRDS WITH ONE STONE", YA KNOW? LOL )
Just carry a battery electric string trimmer on your mower.

I

ILENGINE

Not battery powered but mower mounted weedeater http://palmowingsystem.com/

1BUCKEYE

WHO'DA THUNK?! THANKS. THAT'S QUITE A BIT MORE CUMBERSOME THAN WHAT I'VE ENVISIONED, THO. :) I'M THINKIN' OF SOMETHING SIMILAR TO A REGULAR WEED EATER HEAD. I DON'T USE STRING, I USE THE PLASTIC FINGERS.

1BUCKEYE

THAT'D WORK JUST FINE, I'M SURE. BUT... ONCE YA HAVE A MAJOR STROKE & WIND UP REALLY HANDICAPPED... YA START THINKIN' OF WAYS TO DO THE JOB AT HAND, IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MANNER THAN YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO DO IT. THANKS :) LOL
( I CAN'T STAND W/O A CANE (NO BALANCE) AND ONLY ONE ARM THAT WORKS.)

D

davis2

I bet goats are more maintenance than just about any machine. They still need to be fed in the Winter.

However... I have several areas of brush that's littered with Poison Ivy, and I'd love to be able to rent some goats.
Look online, there are people that rent goats out for clearing land.

G

GrumpyCat

THAT'D WORK JUST FINE, I'M SURE. BUT... ONCE YA HAVE A MAJOR STROKE & WIND UP REALLY HANDICAPPED... YA START THINKIN' OF WAYS TO DO THE JOB AT HAND, IN AN ENTIRELY DIFFERENT MANNER THAN YOU'VE ALWAYS BEEN ABLE TO DO IT. THANKS :) LOL
( I CAN'T STAND W/O A CANE (NO BALANCE) AND ONLY ONE ARM THAT WORKS.)
I too require a cane. left arm works better than my primary right arm.

I can work my caps lock key.

Nothing more than an oar lock strategically placed on the rider is needed to control the standard unmodified string trimmer one handed. Rest the trimmer shaft in the oar lock, then one hand for the trigger. An electric doesn’t have a pull starter.

I use a Country Clipper with joystick, driven one handed.

G

GrumpyCat

When they are too ashamed of the price, I lose interest.

However based on their fantastic cost saving claims backing out the numbers suggests $500.

1BUCKEYE

I too require a cane. left arm works better than my primary right arm.

I can work my caps lock key.

Nothing more than an oar lock strategically placed on the rider is needed to control the standard unmodified string trimmer one handed. Rest the trimmer shaft in the oar lock, then one hand for the trigger. An electric doesn’t have a pull starter.

I use a Country Clipper with joystick, driven one handed.
THANK YOU!!!!. I USE EITHER A ZT WITH BARS, OR MY SIMPLICITY LEGACY... BOTH DRIVEN ONE HANDED. I'VE GOT A GAS STIHL TRIMMER. I'LL DO SOME SERIOUS THINKIN' ON JUST HOW I CAN USE A BATTERY POWERED TRIMMER. IS THERE SUCH A THING? I'M NOT INTO BATTERY POWERED EQUIPMENT. I'M "OLD SCHOOL" ( I MOW 4 ACRES. LOL )

G

GearHead36

A mower mounted trimmer is a neat idea, but doesn't do much good in areas where the mower won't fit.

S

Skippydiesel

Grass that is not being grazed is but a green cancer, requiring prodigious quantities of money to keep under control.