Best 2 cycle oil, and why

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
image.png

Teeton

Threads
I run a ton of 2 strokes and for a lot of years. Some close to 30 years old. Years back my dad bought at a action like 20 cases of Evinrude boat oil, each case had 4, six pack of oil, for a total of 24,,, 16oz cans in each case.. Thats all we been running in our 2 strokes. To date we've never had a deposit problem or an engine failure. I've had folks say we should never run that oil in an air cooled motor,, but I'll let the results speak for themselves.

Tyy

Threads
Amsoil Sabre is a very good synthetic oil designed to be used @ 50:1 to 100:1 . I have used it for many yrs at 50:1 awesome product. Motul 800 is another good product , best when mixed @ 50:1 .

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Outboard oil has a lot of anti corrosion agents in it .
Some of the newer ones are vegetable based so as not to pollute water ways.
So it is marine OK for both
Mower oil not as good in boats

As for which oil is better than what oil,,,
Most of the difference is between the ears

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Can you use 3-N-1 oil in a trimmer? I guess you could. Can you use corn oil in a backpack blower? Guess you could. What about Slick 50 at full strength? Sure why not. Sun tan lotion? Okay.......

Are there better more purpose created formulas out there? Yes. Are these types of oil more suited to these OPE 2 stroke air cooled applications, yes they are.

Maybe it's best to use for example Fruit Loop oil in your Fruit Loop trimmer? Sticking with the manufacturers recommendation. Since they made the engine, they should know.

slomo

Evil Spirit

Threads
Maybe it's best to use for example Fruit Loop oil in your Fruit Loop trimmer? Sticking with the manufacturers recommendation. Since they made the engine, they should know.

slomo
Some manufactures require you to use their oil to maintain the warranty. They put specific dyes in their chemicals to ID them. Hmmmm. I'm 60+ years old and have never filled out a tool or appliance warranty card, so their warranty threat means nothing to me.

From dabbling in small engine repair for 20+ years or so I never really found enough difference in the engines that should require much variance in the fuel additive. IMO there have been more changes needed to the additives because of changes to the FUEL - as in alcohol content - than to a difference in engine designs.

So with that said, I have 4 different brand air cooled 2 stroke tools, and I'm not interested in buying 4 different brand additives and having 4 different gas cans of pre-mix - all sitting around getting stale from occasional use. Using the 1 mix Opti-2 gets me using 1 additive, 1 fuel can, and consistently fresher fuel.

So while I'm not saying there isn't any merit to matching the fuel additive to the same brand tool, personally I never found the need to do so.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look at the bottle. If it says FD rated mix it according to equipment instructions. The world will be fine. OPE can't read bottle labels to see what brand it is. If you have a favorite oil use it.

Tyy

Threads
I have been using the Super Tech (Walmart) brand in weed eater and blower engines for 25+ years. No issues ever. I used to use it (and Yamalube) in 250cc bikes back in the late 80's and 90s. No issues there either. I raced and did my own engine overhauls, so I have seen the pistons and cylinder walls back then. This oil is fine for 2-cycle engines.
A lot of peeps become paranoid with 2 stroke oils . Actually any good FC rated oil will perform well in any air cooled engine . Similiar with the older TCW- 3 rated oil , that became a marine oil application . FD is only better for low smoke and high detergency , critical service applications in my opinion .

Last edited: