Best 2 cycle oil, and why

GrassSlicer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have used lots of 2 cycle oils over the years. Many at 32:1 and 40:1 and never fouled a plug even on the cheap stuff. Now days I like to use Amsoil saber at 50:1 and my other favorite is the VP racing 2 cycle oil. I actually like the VP oil a little better than the Amsoil. It smells better and seems to burn slightly cleaner. By far my least favorite is the Stihl HP Ultra oil. It works fine and cleans good but the smell it gives off gives me a headache for hours.

vonrick33

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Guys,
I used to mix gas with different oils and all of them have the advantages and disadvantages. So now, I switched to tru-fuel. It's a premix I buy from Lowes or HomeDepot. I have experienced better performance and horsepower using this product. A little pricey, but worth it. Just my opinion. Hope it helps !!

VRR.DYNDNS>BIZ

Threads
I've ran numerous brands. Can't really tell one from another. Most will lighten your wallet more with all the fancy extreme super duty ultra MAX info.

Lately I am running the 100:1 Opti-2 oil. This is on the expensive side. Again I can't tell if it's any better than say the Ace Hardware oil with fuel stabilizer in it.

What do you guys use and why?

slomo
No!! All designs of recent equipment has had to comply with the Clean Air Act, thus less oil , and LESS LUBRICATION. We have never condemned so many 2 cycle items as in recent years. Mix at 32 to 1 for engine life for everything rated 32 or 50 or 100 to 1. Just saying reasons for everything, and the reason here is not lubrication. Also it would take 200 years of continuous string trimmer running to equal one year of your Gasoline car's pollution after one hour of gravity on the 2 cycle's emissions settling out of the air. Even better, some units today have a catalytic converter wafer in the muffler which will burn it off even more.

mynova63

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not an AMsoil fan boy but their 100:1 mess did pretty good. It was compared to a way cheaper Supertech 2 stroke on youtube.

Still not a fan of these new 100:1 mix oils like the Opti-2 and Amsoil. I know the Opti-2 is super thick compared to a 50:1 oil. Guess that is how you can run them at 100:1 ratio. Opti-2 is supposed to be the cats meow what ever that is.

slomo
I used to use the Vp racing oil and had some hard starts and fouled plugs.
Perry Hall lawn and Power Equipment in Baltimore Maryland turned me on to the Opti-2. It`s a German technology synthetic oil.
I use Opti-2 now in everything. Less smoke and never have a fouled plug.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
For me, the Ace Hardware oil is a semi synthetic blend with fuel stabilizer. I ran probably 2 or 3 bottles and decided to remove the spark arrester for a look. It was totally clean, like a brand new one. I was stunned. I was wanting to get the ol' torch out and clean it up. Engine ports were clean too. This 2-3 bottle test was done over a couple years. Since I was there I ditched the spark arrester. My Maruyama trimmer sounds like a dirt bike LOL.

slomo

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I used to use the Vp racing oil and had some hard starts and fouled plugs.
Perry Hall lawn and Power Equipment in Baltimore Maryland turned me on to the Opti-2. It`s a German technology synthetic oil.
I use Opti-2 now in everything. Less smoke and never have a fouled plug.
Are you running Opti-2 at 100:1?

slomo

blowerhead

Threads
I've been using Walmart's brand of 2 cycle oil in my Lawn Boy SilverPro 6.5 hp self propelled walk behind lawn mower since I bought it at Lowes in April 1999. Replace the spark plug every 2 years, run it about 35 hours a season, still runs like a champ

SamB

Threads
While I do use Super Tech (price point) most of the time,I will use other brands of OPE oil.no brand loyalty here.
A high ranking person I know at Walmart has told me several times,Walmart absolutely will not tolerate customer complaints or returns for any item/product they sell. If 2 automotive batteries out of 100 are returned as defective,that maker is out. They will not tolerate the paperwork for returns or the bad press from selling "bad" product.,whether it is actually defective or not.

Evil Spirit

Threads
I've used the 1 gallon packets of Opti-2 for years and love it. It's a 1 mix, meaning it is not necessary to mix different ratios for different equipment. I put one packet in a gallon of 90 octane alcohol free recreational fuel - ends up being about a 70-1 mix - and use it in several different string trimmers and snow blowers. All start easy and are pretty much smokeless.