Axle Shaft Came Out

amentac

Threads
I was trying to remove a stuck wheel by banging it from the back and the axle shaft came out of the transmission. I think the retaining ring came off inside the transmission. I have the transmission out of the tractor, but before I start taking it apart (and get into more trouble) I wanted to ask if there's an easier way to put the shaft back in and, if not, can someone send me the instructions on transmission disassembly? Its an Hydro Gear Transaxle Model number 314-0510. tnx

amentac

Threads
I've taken the cover off the transmission and found the broken retaining ring. Any idea where I can get a replacement?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Still this the ring? Item 40?
1668273049183.png
1668272952140.png
If so the Hydro Gear PN is 44871. Just Google "Hydro Gear 44871" for sources.

Last edited:

amentac

Threads
Yes that's it. I couldn't find it under the old part number 170393. Thank you.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yes that's it. I couldn't find it under the old part number 170393. Thank you.
Ahhh. Husqvarna part number that has been superseded. You will better price using the Hydro Gear PN.
1668278781933.png

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In future and for the benefit of those who might be trying to remove a stuck wheel
Do not pull hard on the wheel or beat it from behind this risks repeating Amentac current problem.
Several methods but I like to put some thing behind the wheel to wedge it as far our as it wants to go ( I use 2 scissor jacks ) then hit the axel with a punch & a very heavy hammer .
When the wheel shift a bit forward put more pressure from behind then hit the axel again .
Repeat this till the wheel is off.
Lots of heat also helps

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Plus a good penetrating fluid like Acetone/Automatic Transmission Fluid mixture helps a lot too.

amentac

Threads
Prepare to be entertained….

It’s a beautiful Friday morning, great day to get your tractor ready for winter. Need to install the snow blade and swap the wheels from my other tractor, they are bigger and I have wheels weights and chains for them. Easy job, one hour tops.

Right side wheels get swapped with no issues, but the left wheel on the receiving tractor is stuck. Start with the usual remedies, WD40, heat, wiggle it and bang it with a rubber hammer. One hour into it, it has not budget at all. Go to you tube, see someone using a air hammer. Go to Canadian Tire to buy one, (it’s on sale from $70 to $14, great bargain). Get home full of hope and get that air hammer pounding on the end of the shaft…nothing. Get wife to use air hammer while I’m banging on the wheel (she’s not too happy, not sure why). Still nothing, it hasn’t moved a fraction of an inch. Build a wheel puller using some chains, bolts and a scissor jack. Crank that up, there’s so much tension on it, I step aside in case it gives way and hurts me. The chain breaks…really? Get a bigger chain and bigger bolts, crank it up again, the scissor jack is…bending…no way, how can this be? While under tension, I use heat, WD40 and bang the wheels from the inside (as I’ve seen some people do on YouTube) and it finally gives way. But…ho no… the wheel is still stuck on the shaft, but the shaft has come out of the transmission. Check the tranny diagram, looks like the retaining pin inside the transmission has given way. Well, at least I should now be able to remove the wheel from the shaft, so I start banging on the wheel end of the shaft with a big hammer and a piece of wood. Wood splinters, shaft end gets damaged….NO MOVEMENT. It is at this point that it’s no longer about getting the job done, it’s man vs. machine and It’s not getting the better of me! Put a socket on the transmission end of the shaft (yup, the end with the nicely machined splines) and start banging the hell out of that. AND FINALLY, the shaft just pops out and ends up at the other end of the garage. I sit back and look at the carnage and realize I now have a transmission job on my hands….not a good day. And if that wasn’t bad enough, my dog tore his ACL jumping in the back of the car. I could have bought a new tractor with what I’m spending on vet bills.

I’m sure some of you have been there before…some days you should just stay in bed.