Any hunters out there?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Haven't been hunting yet, too busy, looks like i'll have time this coming week.
Did find out, this will be my last season on the lease... it's going to turn into a subdivison starting June 2022...
been hunting and running cows on it since 1996.... the cows have a place to go, but no hunting rights on that property, just fishing.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
12 year old grandsons first hunt. Bags 10 point shortly after sun up opening day using grandpa's Mod. 700 .243.
EDIT: then comes the lesson of gutting and skinning for a shoulder mount. Tomorrow it'll be meat cutting.

Attachments

• Deer - Owen's - 11-20-21.JPG
    Deer - Owen's - 11-20-21.JPG
    297.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Deer - mark-kids- 11-20-21.JPG
    Deer - mark-kids- 11-20-21.JPG
    139.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
AWESOME! I love seeing the young kids using rifles that have been in the family. I started out hunting with my Great-Grandpa's Remington Model 88, lever action, i killed a small 7 point with it when i was 11.
I'm now using a Savage Axis .308, and have the Model 88 in the safe, and shoot it occasionally..
and of course, the cheap little savage grouped best with Federal Premium 168gr sierra matchkings, that are are 1.40 a round.... I do have a good hand load developed for it, but i got lazy and decided to buy a box of those this year.

AdamE

Threads
12ga pump by the door. Baretta 92fs 9mm by the bed. I have 8 cameras around the house barn and and shop. Once i saw a car at the end of my drive juat sitting with the lights off. Walked down with the baretta and mossberg to see if they needed any help. It was the local township police. He said he would rather write a report for an attempted burglary than a deadly shooting and shooting a perps vehicle is not considered self defense.
Same here. 92FS and a 870 Wingmaster. Looking to get a Smith M&P shield too.

AdamE

Threads
The simple .22 cal LR has killed more game than any other mega magnum cal out there. Shoot any animal in the brain pan and it will fall.
The simple .22 cal has killed more humans than any other round too.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
I suspect the number of .22s in the hands of humans verses all other calibers may be significant in the number.

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Question for Deer hunters.

Beef processors recommend hanging beef for 10 days at a temperature between 35°F - 38°F to allow rigermortus to do its work. How long do you allow your deer to hang?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Question for Deer hunters.

Beef processors recommend hanging beef for 10 days at a temperature between 35°F - 38°F to allow rigermortus to do its work. How long do you allow your deer to hang?
I've never let a deer hang, Kill them, haul them to house (5 minute drive) skin em and get the meat off, clean and wash the meat and wrap it in tin foil to go in the freezer.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I've never let a deer hang, Kill them, haul them to house (5 minute drive) skin em and get the meat off, clean and wash the meat and wrap it in tin foil to go in the freezer.
I do the same thing except I will skin and quarter the deer and if cold enough outside will cold store the quarters overnight in a non heated mouse proof shed. And finish the cleaning and processing the next day in most cases. I think the letting them hang to tenderize is the same reason people complain about deer meat tasting gamey.