Export thread

Any hunters out there?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Well pleased with the early activity. Doe's bring in the Bucks come rutting time, however i want some good tender meat soon.... if we get some rain, plan on planting some oats and Crimson clover as corn prices are bit up this year... plus that will give them extra minerals and vitamins they don't get much of in the corn. I brought the tractor in on Sunday with the front end bucket and cultivator on the back to clear out a bunch dead under brush on the ground and ground clutter so there won't be as much competition when i plant. the total clearing is about 1/4 acre and this on the edge of it.

WGI-0312.jpg
WGI-0309.jpg

WGI-0237.jpg
WGI-0231.jpg

WGI-0306.jpg

I

ILENGINE

Waiting on bow season to start October 1, if I can get through the next three weeks without being hospitalized or dying from Covid.. Currently in quarantine till the 26th of this month due to immediate family member testing positive.

R

Rivets

I’ve got to wait until the end of November. I’ve hunted every year since 1959, except the year we were dealing with cancer. Talked to the land owner where I hunt this last weekend and he says he’s already seen 5 8 pointers, 2 10 pointers and half dozen smaller bucks in the field out his kitchen window. Most will be gone with the archery and muzzleloader season before gun, but if it’s not too wet I’ll be down in the swamp where they hide.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

i keep saying, "maybe next year I'll try Archery"......you know how that goes...
The last 2 years we've had a 1 week extension to the Whitetail season, Nov. 4th to january 16th.
Dove season got extended as well from 9/1 to 10/31...

S

slomo

Hog hunting on the ground with NO dogs. Looking for a rush, this is it.

Anyone have a hog problem destroying their land?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Hog hunting on the ground with NO dogs. Looking for a rush, this is it.

Anyone have a hog problem destroying their land?
Over 7 million here in Texas.. We used to have tons on our 200 acre lease, haven't seen any in weeks.. Matter of fact, they haven't even found the corn yet. Which is fine by me.

I

ILENGINE

i keep saying, "maybe next year I'll try Archery"......you know how that goes...
The last 2 years we've had a 1 week extension to the Whitetail season, Nov. 4th to january 16th.
Dove season got extended as well from 9/1 to 10/31...
Been bowhunting since age 10, 43 years ago. Never had the urge to firearm hunt. Like getting close. My closest bow kill was 10 feet while on the ground.

R

Rivets

I tried bow hunting a couple years, but had to stay to focused to do my favorite pastime while sitting in the stand. For those hunters who understand, has to do with your chin on your chest.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Today's visitors
WGI-0004.jpg
WGI-0011.jpg
WGI-0006.jpg

I

ILENGINE

You have more visitors that I am getting in a week off of three cameras.

R

Rivets

Lots of bodies, but I don’t see anything I’d waste a shell on. Are they all that small down there? Even that buck isn’t legal because I think you have a 10” spread needed there, right?

S

slomo

Over 7 million here in Texas.. We used to have tons on our 200 acre lease, haven't seen any in weeks.. Matter of fact, they haven't even found the corn yet. Which is fine by me.
I hear all about the millions and all the destruction. Would be great if there was a website that mentioned free hunts for hogs in TX. Tearing up the land....... I ask around here in OKC like at Bass Pro and Cabellas, shoot even wally mart. You guys know any farmers that need help? Nope. The ones that do are charging like an African Cape Buffalo hunt 2 week all inclusive party.

So to me, they don't need any help. Just looking for cash.

If you know of any farmers that really need help let me know.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Most of the farmers/ranchers here in East Texas have enough fire power to keep them at bay... Then again the sounders around here only average about 12 pigs and a few piglets, you get further west, and you're talking 30+ pigs in a group with a crap ton of piglets.
Actually back in 2008, we caught a little piglet, probably not even a week old. We had plenty of powdered milk to use for calves if they didn't nurse. She was a silly pig, ended up naming her Dixie. We never had to worry about what to do with food scraps.we even had friends rhat would bring their old expires canned food etc. And Dixie would chow down. Every fall and winter she would start gathering leaves in her mouth and she would build a nest.. I have some pictures of one on a hard drive somewhere... She died in 2017, just a month after our old dog passed.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Corn thieves
WGI-0316.jpg
WGI-0317.jpg

M

MowManWV

I haven't been hunting at all since 2010. I did find a local guy that would take squirrels, not even gutted, just leave them at his house for him. So hopefully get some squirrel time in this year.

I just kill for thrills.....but never let game go to waste. I have given away all but the first animal I killed. I ate that one.

StarTech

StarTech

Hush guys I don't want the neighbor to find out that his kid went on the BBQ.

S

slomo

I prefer to eradicate hogs and coyotes, the pesty pesky "aminals". Deer and those beautiful birds get a free pass.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

"You waskawy wabbit"

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

My hunting the last few years has been limited to dispatching rabid raccoons and rabbits wandering around like the town drunk. Some skunks and farmers groundhogs. Last year a family of raccoons made a bad life decision of trying to setup housekeeping a little too close to the house. They suffered from lead poisoning.

StarTech

StarTech

My hunting the last few years has been limited to dispatching rabid raccoons and rabbits wandering around like the town drunk. Some skunks and farmers groundhogs. Last year a family of raccoons made a bad life decision of trying to setup housekeeping a little too close to the house. They suffered from lead poisoning.
Most here suffer vehicle homocide after I relocate them or at least the last coon did.

And I got a few birds that are greeted by the Mossberg with t shot.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Most here suffer vehicle homocide after I relocate them or at least the last coon did.

And I got a few birds that are greeted by the Mossberg with t shot.
t shot?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Non poisonous shot.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Non poisonous shot.
Oh.... Tungsten shot i guess?

StarTech

StarTech

Non posionous unless you get hit by it. Steel shot with express loads. T shot is a BBB size. Better darn well make sure the stock is up tight to the shoulder or you be hurting the next day. The shells have no shock absorbers either. I have to take those amour plated hook bill birds. I can take out birds at about 100 yds if I get a good aim. So tree top high ones don't have a chance. Those darn Blue Darters are extremely hard to hit at times as I got to watch where I shoot.

I only rattled the neighbor's garage roof once and it was about a 1500 ft out as the shot fell but boy did the feathers fly.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I pulled a dumb ass a couple weeks ago. Forgot my ear plugs and had to wear muffs shooting. Trying to get a good view through the scope on the 1895 marlin in 45-70 with heavy loads i pulled the stock off my shoulder. Sonnofabi....... 1629323816877.jpg

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Wuss....
?

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Wuss....
?
Yeah. I know.

55 grains of IMR3031 and a 405 grain hard cast. If elephants ever attack the house i think i am good.

StarTech

StarTech

I did a better one Monday when fell down a flight of steps. I actually got a crack forearm bone. It still looks one of Popeye's forearms. I hate wood steps in a way but being 5/4 board at least they had some give. I surprise how little pain I am in right now compare when I first did it.

And I sleep with 158 grain hollow points myself. I figure if 6 rounds of them into a drug addict don't stop them nothing will.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

12ga pump by the door. Baretta 92fs 9mm by the bed. I have 8 cameras around the house barn and and shop. Once i saw a car at the end of my drive juat sitting with the lights off. Walked down with the baretta and mossberg to see if they needed any help. It was the local township police. He said he would rather write a report for an attempted burglary than a deadly shooting and shooting a perps vehicle is not considered self defense.

I

ILENGINE

I did a better one Monday when fell down a flight of steps. I actually got a crack forearm bone. It still looks one of Popeye's forearms. I hate wood steps in a way but being 5/4 board at least they had some give. I surprise how little pain I am in right now compare when I first did it.

And I sleep with 158 grain hollow points myself. I figure if 6 rounds of them into a drug addict don't stop them nothing will.
230 grain Hornady critical duty for me with 11 rounds. Got my bow out this evening and took a few shots. Had been about 6 weeks since I shot last. Really liking those Black Eagle Outlaw 300 spine with 100 grain brass inserts and 125 grain points with 4 fletch Bohning heat vanes.

S

slomo

The simple .22 cal LR has killed more game than any other mega magnum cal out there. Shoot any animal in the brain pan and it will fall.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Kinda like the mosquito has killed more people in the world than anything else.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Kinda like the mosquito has killed more people in the world than anything else.
Not counting Chuck Norris

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

One down, millions to go

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

20210824-193953-1.jpg

S

slomo

Nice musket

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thank ya! It's a Spanish mauser chambered in 7x57-7mm... Accurate as heck with some PPU rifle line ammo

S

slomo

Those sized little piggies are perfect for the BBQ.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Those sized little piggies are perfect for the BBQ.
I prefer the smaller porkers, about #40..... those are MELT IN YOUR MOUTH....
Maybe @StarTech will give me tips on barbecuing pigs the same as kids.... :oops: ?

winmod21

winmod21

i keep saying, "maybe next year I'll try Archery"......you know how that goes... ~
Seeing that reminded me of some fond memories . . .

I grew-up archery hunting, well, dinking around since 9~10 yrs old, but I think we had hunting permits at 15 yrs old. My dad, a Boeing Engineer, made my first several bows for me. He and his buddies used to actually make recurve bows in our basement, as well as their cedar arrows. They'd steam and clamp the laminated layers of the exotic woods they used for making their bows. He also made our first several sets of skis - nearly as beautiful as the hunting bows, with perfect shapes and dimensions of the tip, thickened waist, hip, camber, cntr groove &c - with the same basement manufacturing process of steaming & clamping the wood - in wood jigs that they made. Don't ask me how !:~\ They started me skiing at 17 months old.

Gosh how me and my sisters took all that for granted !:~\ But now thinking back, it was really special. He was really special.

Anyways, one of my favorite archery hunting trips every year was for deer & Roosevelt elk on Long Island in Willapa Bay, WA, an archery-hunting-only island (via our 19' Evinrude Rogue 210 inboard/outboard), adjacent to Long Beach & Oysterville, Washington, and part of the Willapa Bay National Wildlife Refuge, due north of the Salmon & charter fishing village of Ilwaco and the mouth of the Mighty Columbia along the Pacific Coast.

We'd catch Salmon and/or Steelhead nearly everyday, and collect - in buckets right off the beaches - all the huge Willapa Bay Oysters and Clams you could ever want; and typ bag a few Ruffed or Sooty Grouse and pick wild mushrooms most days to grill and sauté whilst boiling the clams & sweet corn over the campfire every night to enjoy with the Salmon or Steelhead, until the hot campfire—cool late September or November night air—and full tummy slumber filled my head to the point that it was literally all I could do to crawl through the cold night air under the ga-zillions of twinkling stars to my soon-to-be-toasty sleeping bag. =))

Long island is about 6 miles long with a land area of 21.666 km2 (8.365 sq mi).
"Long Island is the Pacific Coast's largest estuarine island. The island is 5,640 acres and includes a rare 274-acre remnant of old growth lowland coastal forest. Many of the red cedar trees in this grove are over 900 years old. ~ "

P.S. — There's a somewhat humorous story whilst we were hunting on Long Island in Willapa Bay one year. I'd probably ruin it in the telling, but will share it if anyone's in the mood for another Ol' Huntin' Yarn. ;-)

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'm all for a good yarn

winmod21

winmod21

I'm all for a good yarn
It's kinda a long one, so as soon as I figure-out how to make it less wordy... and then edit it to brief... I'll try to tell it. ;-)
"Brevity is the soul of wit" — William Shakespeare - Hamlet

. . . alas, I therefore fear I must be nearly void of wit. :~\

I

ILENGINE

Well went Bambi whacking this evening. Small 4 point but will put some nice meat in the freezer. 10 yards broadside and just couldn't pass it up with firearm season coming up in a couple weeks. May not get another chance at one,

R

Rivets

Congrats, I’ve got three weeks until I can start resting in my stand. Game cams were showing five, 8 to 10 pointers three weeks ago, but the archery guys will probably have them by the time I get out. That’s hunting when you’re 70+, so I’ll just relax.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Our county is part of a state instituted antler restrictions...inside spread must be 13" or greater... which if you ask me, will result in taller racked genetics being passed on and not wider (,legal) racks..

I

ILENGINE

Our county is part of a state instituted antler restrictions...inside spread must be 13" or greater... which if you ask me, will result in taller racked genetics being passed on and not wider (,legal) racks..
The 10 point I have on my trail cameras wouldn't even meet the 13 inch spread minimum, And that is the big deer for my area. The other 3 I have on camera are a 6, 4, and 3 point.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I have only seen this one buck once on my cams

I

ILENGINE

I think this is the best picture I have of the big buck in my hunting area

1635785573149.jpeg

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

and here's the usual visitors.....
Backstrap...... Hind Quarters..... Shoulder..... Chili meat........

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Haven't been hunting yet, too busy, looks like i'll have time this coming week.
Did find out, this will be my last season on the lease... it's going to turn into a subdivison starting June 2022...
been hunting and running cows on it since 1996.... the cows have a place to go, but no hunting rights on that property, just fishing.

S

SeniorCitizen

12 year old grandsons first hunt. Bags 10 point shortly after sun up opening day using grandpa's Mod. 700 .243.
EDIT: then comes the lesson of gutting and skinning for a shoulder mount. Tomorrow it'll be meat cutting.

Attachments

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

AWESOME! I love seeing the young kids using rifles that have been in the family. I started out hunting with my Great-Grandpa's Remington Model 88, lever action, i killed a small 7 point with it when i was 11.
I'm now using a Savage Axis .308, and have the Model 88 in the safe, and shoot it occasionally..
and of course, the cheap little savage grouped best with Federal Premium 168gr sierra matchkings, that are are 1.40 a round.... I do have a good hand load developed for it, but i got lazy and decided to buy a box of those this year.

A

AdamE

12ga pump by the door. Baretta 92fs 9mm by the bed. I have 8 cameras around the house barn and and shop. Once i saw a car at the end of my drive juat sitting with the lights off. Walked down with the baretta and mossberg to see if they needed any help. It was the local township police. He said he would rather write a report for an attempted burglary than a deadly shooting and shooting a perps vehicle is not considered self defense.
Same here. 92FS and a 870 Wingmaster. Looking to get a Smith M&P shield too.

A

AdamE

The simple .22 cal LR has killed more game than any other mega magnum cal out there. Shoot any animal in the brain pan and it will fall.
The simple .22 cal has killed more humans than any other round too.

S

SeniorCitizen

I suspect the number of .22s in the hands of humans verses all other calibers may be significant in the number.

B

bertsmobile1

The simple .22 cal has killed more humans than any other round too.
And even more have survived being shot with a .22
Not the same as being hit with a high velocity 45

S

SeniorCitizen

Question for Deer hunters.

Beef processors recommend hanging beef for 10 days at a temperature between 35°F - 38°F to allow rigermortus to do its work. How long do you allow your deer to hang?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Question for Deer hunters.

Beef processors recommend hanging beef for 10 days at a temperature between 35°F - 38°F to allow rigermortus to do its work. How long do you allow your deer to hang?
I've never let a deer hang, Kill them, haul them to house (5 minute drive) skin em and get the meat off, clean and wash the meat and wrap it in tin foil to go in the freezer.

I

ILENGINE

I've never let a deer hang, Kill them, haul them to house (5 minute drive) skin em and get the meat off, clean and wash the meat and wrap it in tin foil to go in the freezer.
I do the same thing except I will skin and quarter the deer and if cold enough outside will cold store the quarters overnight in a non heated mouse proof shed. And finish the cleaning and processing the next day in most cases. I think the letting them hang to tenderize is the same reason people complain about deer meat tasting gamey.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I prefer the game taste.... some members of my family don't care for it...too bad ;)

I

ILENGINE

@Scrubcadet10 Game taste is one thing, having some that will run you out of the kitchen when cooking is another.

S

SeniorCitizen

Tender Loin, Back Strap, Roasts and ground meat netted 45 lbs.

Attachments