Another Newbie looking for Z Turn advice 2.5 acr

Gord Baker

Threads
My recommendation is to purchase one with Solid front tires, pivoting (from Centre) front axle and a very comfortable and adjustable seat. Get or attach a small trailer hitch for yard wagons etc.

Mikekap

Forum Newbie
Threads
I belong to an RC airplane club. We have a flying field that is a large (2 1/2 acres), flat rectangular shape with no obstacles. For 40 years we have been paying mowing service companies. All that we have to show for that is receipts and grass clippings. We don’t have a paved runway so we’ll trimmed grass is essential for takeoffs and landings.
We recently obtained a secure location (20’ shipping container) to store equipment away from thieves and vandals. We will mow it ourselves
1) the users of the equipment may change from week to week.
2) we will mow the whole area once a week and a landing strip (about 1/4 of it) area twice a week
3) we are assuming that a zero turn will be the best choice to get the job done efficiently. Are we correct?
4) if we want to get it mowed in 45 minutes, what size deck do we need?
5) we want to get equipment that will last at least 10 years.
6) All the used equipment that I’ve seen appears worn out.

I’ve looked at several models and brands and it is very confusing.Exmark, Toro, Deere, Simplicity, Cub, Gravely, Hustler and others. Residential or Contractor level machines?
Hello, I agree with people who recommended to get the best you can afford and to get one from a dealer who is some what close to you who has a good rep.60 inch deck is good. At 71 i would want a zero turn that has the best ride and the best hydro. I ordered 2 Hustler Super z Hyperdrive with 60 inch deck, flex forks and look into rear tweel tires. I have owned many zero turns and the Hustler is the best for their hydraulics which you can steer easily and has the best response. There are many good zero turns. Get the best seat.
You need to ask the dealers near you if they will let you demo one on your property. Best to to you. Mike

Pecosbill

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is just “for what it’s worth.” I have a small ranch in the Texas Hill Country and was mowing myself silly trying to keep pastures looking good while rotating animals on and off them. My wife decided that I needed something other than a tractor and three point mower to do the job and I eventually landed a John Deere zero turn ZTrak-997R diesel mower with a 72” deck. It’s amazing how much faster I can keep the smaller (2-3 acre) pastures mowed. Literally cuts the mowing time in half. The diesel is a beast and it will last quite a long time with a modest level of decent care. This mower was about $20k, but it is a lifetime investment for me and well worth it. However, I don’t know what your budget may be for a mower that will belong to a club. I will say though that I highly recommend getting the largest mowing deck you can find. The 72” deck on the JD is no more difficult to use than a 48” deck, but it’s a heckuva lot faster. I assume that fences and other obstacles are at a minimum on the property, especially given its use. The curing height adjustment on this mower is very quick and easy to use so when you’re cutting the runway you can keep it cut closer than the surrounding areas. Other posters have said to be sure your ability to get it serviced locally is not impeded by an excessive drive and I agree wholeheartedly. However, I’ve had minimal service requirements and usually just order any parts, filters, etc. that I need online.

Given that the diesel motor gets great mileage, qualifies for off road “red” diesel fuel (no tax) and lasts for a lifetime (or even two) I wouldn’t be hesitant to buy a decent looking 2nd hand one if I could find one. I did see one on Craigslist a few months ago that looked pretty decent for $7k so keep your eyes open. You never know why someone may be selling a good mower. They’re not all mowers that have been used commercially.

Fox12

Forum Newbie
Threads
My suggestion after owning a Hustler Raptor XD 60-inch for 6 completely trouble-free years is that mower or a step up in the Hustler line to the Hustler Raptor XDX. These models with Kawasaki engines are great.

oneoldsap

Threads
John Deere has the best Warantee , Dealer network , and parts stream in the business . An entry grade commercial unit with a 54" deck will easily take care of your needs ! Most of the commercial Z-Tracs are 3000 Hr. machines (life span) . So if you can find a used one with 1,000 Hrs. or less on it , don't be afraid to buy it , if it has been properly maintained ! The 900 series machines are rugged workhorses , I have a 925A (bought new 2012) that I have 1600 Hrs. on , and have yet to have any serious problems with it .

qmark

Threads
For your information, a 6 foot deck travelling at 4 MPH will cover 2.88 acres at full efficiency. That is brisk walking speed.

joe_cooler

Threads
Definitely a 72" if it is wide open space with few trees and few tight alleys. Badboy and Spartan are producing some great machines with 72" decks. If you want the best ride, get a Ferris. Hands down the best ride quality. A 72" is not hard at all to manage. It's as easy as a 60" and you get an extra foot of cutting power. I have over 1000 hours of 72" Zero Turn time (2003 Ferris IS4000z). I learned on the 72". Everything smaller feels like and toy and inadequate.

Attachments

• Finished Small 2.jpg
    Finished Small 2.jpg
    759.3 KB · Views: 3

SHB

Threads
I bought a used bad boy with a 60” deck at an estate sale, used (or abused) it for a number of years, still have it. Got a new eXmark radius last winter, has larger tires than the bad boy and is much faster. They are pretty easy to work on, so I don’t sweat the dealer support (all dealers are an hour away), parts I find on line. I use the mower to cut some pretty rough stuff, briars, saplings etc on less than perfect ground. Both the bad boy & eXmark have held up well.

CaptFerd

Threads
I belong to an RC airplane club. We have a flying field that is a large (2 1/2 acres), flat rectangular shape with no obstacles. For 40 years we have been paying mowing service companies. All that we have to show for that is receipts and grass clippings. We don’t have a paved runway so we’ll trimmed grass is essential for takeoffs and landings.
We recently obtained a secure location (20’ shipping container) to store equipment away from thieves and vandals. We will mow it ourselves
1) the users of the equipment may change from week to week.
2) we will mow the whole area once a week and a landing strip (about 1/4 of it) area twice a week
3) we are assuming that a zero turn will be the best choice to get the job done efficiently. Are we correct?
4) if we want to get it mowed in 45 minutes, what size deck do we need?
5) we want to get equipment that will last at least 10 years.
6) All the used equipment that I’ve seen appears worn out.

I’ve looked at several models and brands and it is very confusing.Exmark, Toro, Deere, Simplicity, Cub, Gravely, Hustler and others. Residential or Contractor level machines?
Highly recommend the American made Bad Boy brand.

billypumper

Threads
Hustler makes a good zero turn, didn't see it mentioned, John Deere does too both if bought through a dealer will steer you right.