Another Newbie looking for Z Turn advice 2.5 acr

Cornfield

Threads
Club members are warming to the idea of a Toro Max. Apparently, Toro recommends using their "All Season Fuel" which appears very pricy. I’ve used regular gas in my home Deere tractor, Ariens Snow Blower and my generator adding Stabil in the Off seasons, when they won’t be used for several months.
What fuels and additives are you guys using in the Toro motors

Last edited:

SHB

Threads
Here's my 2 cents: I mow about 130 yards a week. My fleet is a Hustler Super Z HD 60", Hustler Super Z 72" (both 1000cc Kaw), Big Dog Diablo MP 60" 850cc Kaw (same as Super Z) and Hustler Fastrack SD 48" 691cc Kaw. So obviously I prefer Hustler. However for your application I'd probably go with a 60" Bad Boy, Spartan or Exmark / Toro. Here's why. You don't need to pay upwards of $15K to get a really good mower that will last for years cutting an hour or two per week. That's about 70-80 hours per year. That's 700-800 over 10 years. Get an entry level commercial mower with a Kaw FX series, Kohler Command or Vanguard Commercial grade and do regular maintenance you will be happy for many years. What I would NOT do is pay an extra $2K - $3K for a Deere or Kubota. Just not worth it. Same engine, same Hydro-gear pumps and motors, different color paint and and name recognition. Nearly all commercial mowers have very good warranties on the mower and deck. Green / yellow or orange paint seems to be very expensive. One other thing, consider a used unit from a reputable dealer. I know a dealer that takes in 20 to 30 lightly used Hustlers per year. Usually less than 300 hours and under $10K. Something to consider.
I know someone with a lawn care business, bought new equipment each year, took an IRS section 179 depreciation on it, sold it out the back door for cash at the end of the season. Took good care of his equipment, got a nice mower that way.

Cornfield

Threads
I just ordered a new Toro Titan 75306. It isn’t the Max and it doesn’t have My Ride. It does have the Kohler 26 hp motor and the 10 gauge deck. We will probably use it about 3 hours a week during the Spring and 1.5/ week the rest of the season. We have a 4-5 month Winter when it will be in storage.
We are hoping to get 10+ years out of it.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With proper maintenance you should easily be able to get ten years.

Cornfield

Threads
Now the big question is: Can the dealer deliver a new unit to me by March First? The dealer says that Toro production is way down. If the dealer can't get me one, I may end up at Home Depot.

bkeller500

Threads
I'm all in for purchasing from a dealer and supporting a local business if I can. I'd give that dealer an opportunity to earn your business. But I was also just looking at a couple of Home Depot emails and was wondering if their promotions can be applied to the purchase of a mower. I occasionally get a email that if you use a HD credit card on large purchases you can get 0% interest or sometimes a 10-15% discount. I would check that out further since you looking a such a big purchase.

bkeller500

Threads
The dealer hasn't been allocated the one that I want. He said they have got that one with the $1000 My Ride. I decided to upgrade to the Max Havoc https://www.toro.com/en/homeowner/riding-mowers/titan-max-76602 which will be massive overkill for our needs. He has it in stock and is giving me a decent price.
Go big or go home.
That's one awesome machine you are choosing. Typically a larger, beefier machine will disappoint you far less often than a cheaper entry level style machine. The added benefits of dealer support makes it very attractive if you can agree on a price. From what I am seeing in my industry..........Consumer items will cost 15-25% more in 2022 due to the Covid situation, plus the supply chain shortages plus the new freight costs. Picking up a in-stock unit is likely going to be a better deal than waiting for new inventory. My Simplicity ZT now lists for $1,000 more than it did in August. Good luck.

DK35vince

Threads

Shoesole

Forum Newbie
Threads
I belong to an RC airplane club. We have a flying field that is a large (2 1/2 acres), flat rectangular shape with no obstacles. For 40 years we have been paying mowing service companies. All that we have to show for that is receipts and grass clippings. We don’t have a paved runway so we’ll trimmed grass is essential for takeoffs and landings.
We recently obtained a secure location (20’ shipping container) to store equipment away from thieves and vandals. We will mow it ourselves
1) the users of the equipment may change from week to week.
2) we will mow the whole area once a week and a landing strip (about 1/4 of it) area twice a week
3) we are assuming that a zero turn will be the best choice to get the job done efficiently. Are we correct?
4) if we want to get it mowed in 45 minutes, what size deck do we need?
5) we want to get equipment that will last at least 10 years.
6) All the used equipment that I’ve seen appears worn out.

I’ve looked at several models and brands and it is very confusing.Exmark, Toro, Deere, Simplicity, Cub, Gravely, Hustler and others. Residential or Contractor level machines?
I also fly RC aircraft and I purchased a 48" Husky for $4600.00 in 2018, have been mowing a little over 2 1/2 acres with it with no problems other than replacing the blades twice in almost four years. Blades are cheaper than John Deere, last longer and are easy to change. I am still using the original fan belts, have never had to replace them yet. I also have replaced the battery one time. Very comfortable to use and very well made. A very good friend purchased a John Deere zero turn and all it has done is cost him money since he bought it. When one of the transmissions messed up he took the transmission out and took it to the Deere dealer and they told him they do not repair the transmissions, they just replace them. So he brought it to me and I repaired it in one weekend, but it was difficult getting it back together, had to disassemble twice and reassemble it before I got it right. I've owned a Dixie Chopper before the Husky and the Dixie Chopper was fast, fast, fast but it's not how fast you can cut, it's how you cut fast. A lesson well learned. Get a Husky if you want value for your money.