Air Fryer issue

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
This isn't about a mower. So please don't beat me up about it. But it may be some info someone can use. And there may be someone who can explain it.

Model # RJ50-FDAF-M25

So was giving the air fryer it's weekly cleaning the other day and removed the crumb tray. This sits just above the floor of the air frying. I noticed what looked like white battery acid build up, between two rivets. There are 4 rivets total. I'm guessing they hold some electrical component to the underside of the floor. I wipe off the corrosion to find rust.
I take a few pics, contact the manufacturer and they're sending me a new one, since this one is only 6 months old. (1 yr warranty)

After getting it all cleaned out, I cooked on it later that day. Then cleaned it out again. A few days later, I remove the crumb tray and obviously the problem is still there. But the white corrosion is all over the floor now. I'm not going to cook on it anymore.

My question is how? How can an electric part cause so much rust and white corrosion? I'm guessing it's something like the way battery acid form. But I don't really get the rust part.

Here's some pics.
AFCorrosion.jpg

Attachments

• AFCorrosion.jpg
    AFCorrosion.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 7
  • AFRust.jpg
    AFRust.jpg
    202.8 KB · Views: 7
  • AFRust2.jpg
    AFRust2.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 6
  • AFRust3.jpg
    AFRust3.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 6
  • AfterCleaning.jpg
    AfterCleaning.jpg
    362.8 KB · Views: 7

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Something is getting very hot under that plate.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, I wouldn’t use it again. You might catch your house on fire. Unplug that thing.

Chefman said I didn't have to return this one. So I'm gonna disassemble this one and what that part is. There are no part diagrams on this. But maybe there's a model number on the part.
None the less, I'll have spare parts for the replacement. Dial timer, an extra lightbulb. Glad I didn't get the digital one.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When current passes through a wire the internal resistance generates heat, you should know that as battery leads get hot
The USA uses 110V mains supply so a 1000W air fryer will draw 9A and a 2000W air fryer will draw 18A and that gets wires quite hot
We use 240 V and even then my 2400W room heater cord gets too hot to hold if it gets left on all night accidentially ( have not used a heater regularly for 5 years )
I would cover the crumb tray with foil after cleaning it
Some foods are very acid so the juices that come out will be very corrosive
My air fryer is one of those heater element over a glass bowl and if I do a chicken there is 1/4 of fat , oil & water in the bottom
The one time I did a roast there was about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom which of course becomes the gravy
If your fryer does not have a liquid retention tray or drain then I would guess ( pure guess ) that the crumb try has a heater under it to boil off the liquids that are liberated during cooking.
Remember that 1/2 to 1/3 of the weight of meat is the water in it
If it does have a drain then perhaps it is not clear or big enough .

sgkent

Lawn Addict
Threads
sure, ask how to play with electricity on the Internet. Please let me know where your widow would like the flowers delivered to, assuming you don't electrocute her or one of the children / grand children first.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
When current passes through a wire the internal resistance generates heat, you should know that as battery leads get hot
The USA uses 110V mains supply so a 1000W air fryer will draw 9A and a 2000W air fryer will draw 18A and that gets wires quite hot
We use 240 V and even then my 2400W room heater cord gets too hot to hold if it gets left on all night accidentially ( have not used a heater regularly for 5 years )
I would cover the crumb tray with foil after cleaning it
Some foods are very acid so the juices that come out will be very corrosive
My air fryer is one of those heater element over a glass bowl and if I do a chicken there is 1/4 of fat , oil & water in the bottom
The one time I did a roast there was about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom which of course becomes the gravy
If your fryer does not have a liquid retention tray or drain then I would guess ( pure guess ) that the crumb try has a heater under it to boil off the liquids that are liberated during cooking.
Remember that 1/2 to 1/3 of the weight of meat is the water in it
If it does have a drain then perhaps it is not clear or big enough .

At the very bottom, there is a crumb tray. Just a flat tray that covers the floor of the AF. Just above that, there's a drip tray. It's about 3/4 to 1" deep. This is what I line with foil. The only liquid that's touched the floor of the AF has been from cleaning. And even that was from damn rags or sponges.
The instructions on cleaning were very clear about not using abrasives on the surface. Apparently the coating is very thin, as some of it has already rubbed off the drip tray just from normal cleaning. (Before I started using foil)

The thicker the wire, would that mean it would not get as hot? I've noticed the hot battery wires on mowers getting thinner and thinner over the years. Especially on some MTD mowers. Thanks for the "resistance" description though. That explains things better. If a mowers engine without spark plugs turns over 100 time, the hot wire from the battery wouldn't be as hot as one with the spark plugs in.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
sure, ask how to play with electricity on the Internet. Please let me know where your widow would like the flowers delivered to, assuming you don't electrocute her or one of the children / grand children first.

I'm scared of electricity, to a certain degree. Too scared to go playing with it with the power source connected. So the unit will be unplugged when I take it apart.
I'm hoping to find an electrical part that showing signs of malfunction, with a part number on it. Also. maybe a bottom plate to replace this one that's rusting.
But I'm not having any luck finding any parts for this. AF are becoming so inexpensive, like most things they're "throw aways." Not cost effective to repair.
That's one of my pet peeves.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm scared of electricity, to a certain degree. Too scared to go playing with it with the power source connected. So the unit will be unplugged when I take it apart.
I'm hoping to find an electrical part that showing signs of malfunction, with a part number on it. Also. maybe a bottom plate to replace this one that's rusting.
But I'm not having any luck finding any parts for this. AF are becoming so inexpensive, like most things they're "throw aways." Not cost effective to repair.
That's one of my pet peeves.
Yep, they are throw away devices. I finally broke down and bought one. I once thought they were just countertop clutter. They’re okay for some things. I spent a little more money on ours. That garbage that Walmart is peddling just didn’t make the grade.