Export thread

Air Fryer issue

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

This isn't about a mower. So please don't beat me up about it. But it may be some info someone can use. And there may be someone who can explain it.

Model # RJ50-FDAF-M25

So was giving the air fryer it's weekly cleaning the other day and removed the crumb tray. This sits just above the floor of the air frying. I noticed what looked like white battery acid build up, between two rivets. There are 4 rivets total. I'm guessing they hold some electrical component to the underside of the floor. I wipe off the corrosion to find rust.
I take a few pics, contact the manufacturer and they're sending me a new one, since this one is only 6 months old. (1 yr warranty)

After getting it all cleaned out, I cooked on it later that day. Then cleaned it out again. A few days later, I remove the crumb tray and obviously the problem is still there. But the white corrosion is all over the floor now. I'm not going to cook on it anymore.

My question is how? How can an electric part cause so much rust and white corrosion? I'm guessing it's something like the way battery acid form. But I don't really get the rust part.

Here's some pics.
AFCorrosion.jpg

Attachments

M

MParr

Something is getting very hot under that plate.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Something is getting very hot under that plate.

The power cord gets very warm too. .

M

MParr

The power cord gets very warm too. .
Yeah, I wouldn’t use it again. You might catch your house on fire. Unplug that thing.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yeah, I wouldn’t use it again. You might catch your house on fire. Unplug that thing.

Chefman said I didn't have to return this one. So I'm gonna disassemble this one and what that part is. There are no part diagrams on this. But maybe there's a model number on the part.
None the less, I'll have spare parts for the replacement. Dial timer, an extra lightbulb. Glad I didn't get the digital one.

B

bertsmobile1

When current passes through a wire the internal resistance generates heat, you should know that as battery leads get hot
The USA uses 110V mains supply so a 1000W air fryer will draw 9A and a 2000W air fryer will draw 18A and that gets wires quite hot
We use 240 V and even then my 2400W room heater cord gets too hot to hold if it gets left on all night accidentially ( have not used a heater regularly for 5 years )
I would cover the crumb tray with foil after cleaning it
Some foods are very acid so the juices that come out will be very corrosive
My air fryer is one of those heater element over a glass bowl and if I do a chicken there is 1/4 of fat , oil & water in the bottom
The one time I did a roast there was about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom which of course becomes the gravy
If your fryer does not have a liquid retention tray or drain then I would guess ( pure guess ) that the crumb try has a heater under it to boil off the liquids that are liberated during cooking.
Remember that 1/2 to 1/3 of the weight of meat is the water in it
If it does have a drain then perhaps it is not clear or big enough .

sgkent

sgkent

sure, ask how to play with electricity on the Internet. Please let me know where your widow would like the flowers delivered to, assuming you don't electrocute her or one of the children / grand children first.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

When current passes through a wire the internal resistance generates heat, you should know that as battery leads get hot
The USA uses 110V mains supply so a 1000W air fryer will draw 9A and a 2000W air fryer will draw 18A and that gets wires quite hot
We use 240 V and even then my 2400W room heater cord gets too hot to hold if it gets left on all night accidentially ( have not used a heater regularly for 5 years )
I would cover the crumb tray with foil after cleaning it
Some foods are very acid so the juices that come out will be very corrosive
My air fryer is one of those heater element over a glass bowl and if I do a chicken there is 1/4 of fat , oil & water in the bottom
The one time I did a roast there was about 1/2" of liquid in the bottom which of course becomes the gravy
If your fryer does not have a liquid retention tray or drain then I would guess ( pure guess ) that the crumb try has a heater under it to boil off the liquids that are liberated during cooking.
Remember that 1/2 to 1/3 of the weight of meat is the water in it
If it does have a drain then perhaps it is not clear or big enough .

At the very bottom, there is a crumb tray. Just a flat tray that covers the floor of the AF. Just above that, there's a drip tray. It's about 3/4 to 1" deep. This is what I line with foil. The only liquid that's touched the floor of the AF has been from cleaning. And even that was from damn rags or sponges.
The instructions on cleaning were very clear about not using abrasives on the surface. Apparently the coating is very thin, as some of it has already rubbed off the drip tray just from normal cleaning. (Before I started using foil)

The thicker the wire, would that mean it would not get as hot? I've noticed the hot battery wires on mowers getting thinner and thinner over the years. Especially on some MTD mowers. Thanks for the "resistance" description though. That explains things better. If a mowers engine without spark plugs turns over 100 time, the hot wire from the battery wouldn't be as hot as one with the spark plugs in.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

sure, ask how to play with electricity on the Internet. Please let me know where your widow would like the flowers delivered to, assuming you don't electrocute her or one of the children / grand children first.

I'm scared of electricity, to a certain degree. Too scared to go playing with it with the power source connected. So the unit will be unplugged when I take it apart.
I'm hoping to find an electrical part that showing signs of malfunction, with a part number on it. Also. maybe a bottom plate to replace this one that's rusting.
But I'm not having any luck finding any parts for this. AF are becoming so inexpensive, like most things they're "throw aways." Not cost effective to repair.
That's one of my pet peeves.

M

MParr

I'm scared of electricity, to a certain degree. Too scared to go playing with it with the power source connected. So the unit will be unplugged when I take it apart.
I'm hoping to find an electrical part that showing signs of malfunction, with a part number on it. Also. maybe a bottom plate to replace this one that's rusting.
But I'm not having any luck finding any parts for this. AF are becoming so inexpensive, like most things they're "throw aways." Not cost effective to repair.
Yep, they are throw away devices. I finally broke down and bought one. I once thought they were just countertop clutter. They’re okay for some things. I spent a little more money on ours. That garbage that Walmart is peddling just didn’t make the grade.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Yep, they are throw away devices. I finally broke down and bought one. I once thought they were just countertop clutter. They’re okay for some things. I spent a little more money on ours. That garbage that Walmart is peddling just didn’t make the grade.

I love mine. Rarely even use the stove anymore. Pork/beef roast, all sorts of chicken. And even a couple of steaks.

StarTech

StarTech

That cord get too hot on heaters and coffee pots as most manufacture use under sized wire. My current coffee pot with detachable cord was getting way too hot too until I upgraded the cord. Now I not wasting as much electricity as it all goes to the heating element now. The pot now makes my coffee in less time.

I will not even use a space heater because of the under sized wires. This is why so many homes have fires when using space heaters.

StarTech

StarTech

It's called respect for something that can kill you. I just people had more respect for other things that can also kill them.

As for repairs that what they want us to do and that is to fill up the landfills with what should be repairable but isn't because no one is willing to provide parts. No telling how hair dryers and coffee pot I have repaired because a thermal fuse blew over time.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

It's called respect for something that can kill you. I just people had more respect for other things that can also kill them.

As for repairs that what they want us to do and that is to fill up the landfills with what should be repairable but isn't because no one is willing to provide parts. No telling how hair dryers and coffee pot I have repaired because a thermal fuse blew over time.

Speaking of coffee pots, I have an extra one in the shop that use to filter gas with. Using a regular coffee filter. I never plug it in, of course. But it does help take out trash from good gas. @ $5 per gallon now, it comes in pretty handy.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

That cord get too hot on heaters and coffee pots as most manufacture use under sized wire. My current coffee pot with detachable cord was getting way too hot too until I upgraded the cord. Now I not wasting as much electricity as it all goes to the heating element now. The pot now makes my coffee in less time.

I will not even use a space heater because of the under sized wires. This is why so many homes have fires when using space heaters.

If the replacement AF has a hot cord, I might try upgrading it. Depending on how it's connected inside.
When I got this AF, I went onto youtube to get recipes and see how others are using theirs. I've noticed mine always took longer to cook. I thought it was because mine is bigger & shaped like an oven. The ones I seen on Youtube were shaped sort of like a coffee pot. Mine is a 26qt. Maybe the upgraded power cord will save some cooking time. I'll just have to make sure the outside of the meat isn't cooking too fast. If that's the case, i'll just have to turn down the temp.

Taking this older on apart is going to be fun.

M

MParr

There’s probably some sort of capacitor under the pan that’s going bad.

B

bertsmobile1

I rewired the workshop with 3.5mm wire
It cost $ 75 more for the 100' roll than the std 2.5mm wire and I used 3 on them
While doing the rewiring I balanced the phases as well ( 3 phase power )
The power bill went down around $ 20 a month
The electrical shop asked why I wanted so much 50A wire and told me I was tossing money away by using the thicker wire
We are allowed to run 8 GPO's per circuit so now I can run safely 32A breakers in place of the 20A ones on each circuit and am yet to trip one

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

At my last home, I wired up my whole shop with the power on because the breaker on/off was backwards from the breaker that I used, compared to the other breaker.
After I was done, I turned the breaker on and no lights came on. I realized that I had the light switch off. So I turned on the light switch and still nothing. So I'm thinking, "Oh crap, I got something screwed up," so I turned the breaker back to what I thought was the off position. Boom, the lights came on. Plugged a drilling into the wall socket, and it came on.

I didn't know whether to pat myself on the back, or give myself a butt whoopin.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So I got the new one and took the old one apart. There's NOTHING under the bottom plate but another piece of sheet metal that formed with a gap between it and the floor plate. It's only purpose is to hold two knobs, that are attached to the door mechanism. That's it. Nothing electrical there what so ever.

And under the bottom plate, the outside if you will, is spotless. No rust. No corrosion. Nothing. All the rust and corrosion is on the inside.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

It only hurts for a little while.

B

bertsmobile1

So I got the new one and took the old one apart. There's NOTHING under the bottom plate but another piece of sheet metal that formed with a gap between it and the floor plate. It's only purpose is to hold two knobs, that are attached to the door mechanism. That's it. Nothing electrical there what so ever.

And under the bottom plate, the outside if you will, is spotless. No rust. No corrosion. Nothing. All the rust and corrosion is on the inside.
So if the liquid drain pan over fills or boils & froths up. where does it go ?
onto the crumb tray ?

S

slomo

Calling all air fryer freaks.

How do cooked french fries taste in an air fryer?

Compared to oil fried?

Had a fellow fat man at work tell me they are pretty darn good. What do you guys think?

M

MParr

Compared to oil fried?

Had a fellow fat man at work tell me they are pretty darn good. What do you guys think?
They work great on Tater Tots and steak fries.
Other cuts of fries are okay but, not as good as deep fried.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I cut them 1/4" square spray them with canola oil fry on 400 about 14 mins. About 95% as good as deep fried and not oily. I cut them a little thinner to make breakfast potatoes. Probably 3 to 4 timea a week. You have to salt them within seconds of taking them out or the salt won't stick. I use the fryer every day. I like to microwave brats to get them almost done then a few mins in the air fryer at 400 to get the grill type browning. I cut chicken breasts into strips bread them with a spicy seasoning mix and 10 mins at 370. Same for pork loin.

B

bertsmobile1

I cut them 1/4" square spray them with canola oil fry on 400 about 14 mins. About 95% as good as deep fried and not oily. I cut them a little thinner to make breakfast potatoes. Probably 3 to 4 timea a week. You have to salt them within seconds of taking them out or the salt won't stick. I use the fryer every day. I like to microwave brats to get them almost done then a few mins in the air fryer at 400 to get the grill type browning. I cut chicken breasts into strips bread them with a spicy seasoning mix and 10 mins at 370. Same for pork loin.
Get some red pepper and a good grinder as red pepper is just the raw ripe pepper before it is roasted to turn it black to preserve it and is quite soft
Once you have had fresh cooked chips with red pepper you will never want to put salt on them again.
Pepper berries can be eaten 4 ways,
Green , very sharp , tart & hot
White ( green with skins removed ) just hot
Red, ripe nutty sweet & hot
Black, nutty & hot
Still trying to get a pepper berry bush to live longer than a couple of years as I do eat a lot of pepper .

Occasionally I season chips with tumeric

StarTech

StarTech

Well it like being on a salt free diet everything tasted treble until I got used to it. Now even normal salted food has too much salt for my taste. And those dang Hardee's biscuits plain burn my throat now so I had give up my favorite sausage biscuit in the mornings.

As a gal from Cook's Country put it everything taste better with bacon on it. Otherwords fat is what makes food taste good as we carve it.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I have a rub of garlic, peppers, cayenne, onion, turmeric, roasted peppers, mustard, sugar, paprika that i put on most all my veggies. Wife hates it and i love it.

B

bertsmobile1

Well that is why final seasoning should be done by the eater
I keep about a dozen different butters in the fridge for different seasonings of different veggies but the garlic+ginger is probably the one I use most
Lazy dinner is 1 large onion + 1 potatoe neuked for 2.5 minutes then slathered with the garlic+ginger butter then sprinkled with mixed pepper fresh ground

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I'm getting hungry.

StarTech

StarTech

I'm getting hungry.
Then I shouldn't mention those two big juicy ribeye steaks I have on the grill. I got them several months ago when they were only $4 per lb. Now the cheapest I seen them around here is $10 (9.99).

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Gimmee a minute and i will be over. You like lager or an IPA?

B

bertsmobile1

Well it like being on a salt free diet everything tasted treble until I got used to it. Now even normal salted food has too much salt for my taste. And those dang Hardee's biscuits plain burn my throat now so I had give up my favorite sausage biscuit in the mornings.

As a gal from Cook's Country put it everything taste better with bacon on it. Otherwords fat is what makes food taste good as we carve it.
The other 1/2 father had a bad ticker so the whole family went salt free
Thus when we moved out together she could not take even a salty cheese thus I also went low / no salt
Happy wife = happy life
And yes I now find almost every preparred food way to salty
bought a 1 lb salt tub in 1994 and it is still 1/2 full
Mostly used for pretreatment of egg plant steaks before grilling

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

So if the liquid drain pan over fills or boils & froths up. where does it go ?
onto the crumb tray ?

It's almost impossible for the catch pan to overfill. Even cooking a pork roast, it's never gotten anywhere near 1/2 full of grease.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Compared to oil fried?

The only potato's I've cooked so far have been hashbrowns. Those turned out good.

One thing I can tell you though, anything you season your food with, cooked in an air fryer, you'll be able to taste the seasoning 100 X more.

S

slomo

The only potato's I've cooked so far have been hashbrowns. Those turned out good.
Good means not great to me. Would like to hear someone say these toys of the week are not better in the actual taste department.
anything you season your food with, cooked in an air fryer, you'll be able to taste the seasoning 100 X more.
Is it because the air burns the seasoning onto the item and not diluted down with oil maybe?

I haven't tried one of these fryers yet. Looking for opinions. Thanks PT for yours.

M

MParr

Good means not great to me. Would like to hear someone say these toys of the week are not better in the actual taste department.

Is it because the air burns the seasoning onto the item and not diluted down with oil maybe?

I haven't tried one of these fryers yet. Looking for opinions. Thanks PT for yours.
I used to think air fryers were a waste of money. My wife has been wanting one for several years so, I broke down and bought her one for Christmas. I have changed my mind. They are more like a miniature convection oven. They do some things well and other things not so well. A little advice. Don’t go cheap and buy the Walmart junk. Spend a little extra and get a better quality item. I went with the Corsori and purchased from Amazon.

StarTech

StarTech

It is the same with microwaves. I have learn to cook several meals using a large unit in the Mic. but have yet to replace the broken one. I do miss it for thawing meats, cooking meatloaf or deserts. I even cooked a whole turkey in last over the range mic. I am planning on buying a convection oven later this year as I hear they more effective cutting down cooking times.

Now I don't think I like those washers without a standard dasher. My neighbor washed my uniforms Sunday and there was a lot trash still on them. Oh I know a dryer would probably get that off but I tend to air dry them. And it took an hour and a half to do what my washer does in 18 minutes. Of course current my water supply is down as the pump went out to lunch and never came back. Local priced one at $500 and looks like one on Amazon can be gotten for around $200 including shipping.

B

bertsmobile1

sunlight is free, kills bacteria and viruses so why would any person want a cloths dryer
Admittedly it does also bleach out some colours but wearing them outside does the same thing
Those combined washers & dryers gobble up a massive amount of energy .
Got a 20 year old front loader in the workshop & the house washer was a 40 year old Hoover twin tub which we left behind for the new owner .
I don't know who works out the wash cycles but I have only ever used the short wash cycle that takes 20 minutes & uses 40 litres of water from the rainwater tank
Occasionally I have used the cotton setting that takes 2 hours + 20 minutes for the prewash when the overalls were really greasy but in reality a soak in NappySan followed by a quick was does a better job.

The workshop has 2 microwaves a small plug in grill / oven a small bowl type air frier & a deep electric frying pan .
Microwaved veggies are so much tastier than boiled veggies & when you take the time to learn how to use it properly you never want to put a pot back on a stove again, unless you are boiling a carb
If you nuke a lot please do it in a glass bowl not plastic as the waves can libberate some of the plasticizers into the food ( not good ) .
Thought about a real air fryer but lack of bench space put that to bed
Took me about 2 years to work out how to cook a cake the way I like them and 6 minute cakes or muffins are a treat
Got a mass of lemons & manderins at the moment so every one who makes a social visit leaves with a manderin cake with lemon frosting .
Microwave jam is interesting but doable in 1/4 of the time as is citrus butter ( called curd to some ) .

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I just learned how to do mac n cheese in the microwave. Taste just as good as boiling the noodles in water. Same soft noodles.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I didn't really want to get one. I was just strolling through amazon and seen one on sale. So I went to Youtube and watched a few video's. Then watched a few more. Then talked some family members who had one. And they all swore by theirs. (the ones that uses theirs).
This time, curiosity got the cat a bowl of kibbles.

Tonight, I had two bacon and tomato sandwiches. It does bacon and sausage really good too.

S

slomo

I just learned how to do mac n cheese in the microwave. Taste just as good as boiling the noodles in water. Same soft noodles.
No you didn't. Here's a new super MAC recipe I stumbled on BS'ing around with my wife. Instead of adding milk or water, add buttermilk. It makes it double cheesy. Buttermilk being thicker and richer than the other two...... Do it on the stove. Salt the crap out of the water. Drain and add dry cheese, butter and buttermilk. More salt and black pepper if you like it. MMMMmmmm

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

No you didn't. Here's a new super MAC recipe I stumbled on BS'ing around with my wife. Instead of adding milk or water, add buttermilk. It makes it double cheesy. Buttermilk being thicker and richer than the other two...... Do it on the stove. Salt the crap out of the water. Drain and add dry cheese, butter and buttermilk. More salt and black pepper if you like it. MMMMmmmm

Can you taste the buttermilk? Cause I don't like buttermilk?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

A revelation in the mystery of the rusting bottom plate.

After cooking some chicken tonight, I thought I'd wipe the AF out while it was still hot inside. I removed all the trays, including the bottom crumb tray, and there was a puddle of water between those same two rivets.
Apparently the steam created from the chicken, drains down the side of the AF, and into the very bottom. To it's lowest point. And just sits there, blocked by the crumb tray. And no way to get any wind & heat mixed. And since the top of the crumb tray rarely gets dirty, I don't normally remove it when I'm cleaning the grill tray or the drip tray.

After wiping up the water, I noticed little white corrosion spots already forming.

B

bertsmobile1

A revelation in the mystery of the rusting bottom plate.

After cooking some chicken tonight, I thought I'd wipe the AF out while it was still hot inside. I removed all the trays, including the bottom crumb tray, and there was a puddle of water between those same two rivets.
Apparently the steam created from the chicken, drains down the side of the AF, and into the very bottom. To it's lowest point. And just sits there, blocked by the crumb tray. And no way to get any wind & heat mixed. And since the top of the crumb tray rarely gets dirty, I don't normally remove it when I'm cleaning the grill tray or the drip tray.

After wiping up the water, I noticed little white corrosion spots already forming.
Figured it would be something like that
Clean the old one and paint it with POR15, 2 coats and it will never rust again but of course it will require regular wipe outs .

S

slomo

Nope just an extra blast of cheese and flavor.

StarTech

StarTech

Then you never like cornflakes with buttermilk. I grossed out my family when I first did it so I ended up just eating my cereal dry in the mornings when they were around. Now it is a acquired taste. Of course this was before lactose free milk was widely available.

When I first became lactose sensitive due the hospital injecting a kill all bacteria shot I couldn't have any milk product except buttermilk. A half of milk tore me up. After over 10 years I finally got back to where I can eat cheese without having the high trots and low squats.

I actually rupture myself by holding the bowel movement too long trying not to fill my pants full. I have been told you couldn't hold it but I did and did ruptured myself. That is a painful injury as you re-injury yourself anytime you go. I went to the doctor which couldn't even find an abscess on one my cheeks. It broke on the way the drugstore for antibiotics. I soaked my mother's car with the puss. The drugstore actually tried refusing to provide the meds because I would not come in the store. After I explained the reason finally they did. I actually developed an extra hole in one of my cheeks that I had to plug everytime I cut gas or I bled a lot and got extremely sore. As painful as bleeding hemorrhoids if not worst. I had both.

BTW not all buttermilk is the same either. Most are lousy to start with especially the low fat versions.

S

slomo

Then you never like cornflakes with buttermilk. I grossed out my family when I first did it so I ended up just eating my cereal dry in the mornings when they were around. Now it is a acquired taste. Of course this was before lactose free milk was widely available.

When I first became lactose sensitive due the hospital injecting a kill all bacteria shot I couldn't have any milk product except buttermilk. A half of milk tore me up. After over 10 years I finally got back to where I can eat cheese without having the high trots and low squats.

I actually rupture myself by holding the bowel movement too long trying not to fill my pants full. I have been told you couldn't hold it but I did and did ruptured myself. That is a painful injury as you re-injury yourself anytime you go. I went to the doctor which couldn't even find an abscess on one my cheeks. It broke on the way the drugstore for antibiotics. I soaked my mother's car with the puss. The drugstore actually tried refusing to provide the meds because I would not come in the store. After I explained the reason finally they did. I actually developed an extra hole in one of my cheeks that I had to plug everytime I cut gas or I bled a lot and got extremely sore. As painful as bleeding hemorrhoids if not worst. I had both.

BTW not all buttermilk is the same either. Most are lousy to start with especially the low fat versions.
Man brother, take care of yourself. What a story.....

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Figured it would be something like that
Clean the old one and paint it with POR15, 2 coats and it will never rust again but of course it will require regular wipe outs .

Is this paint OK to cook in. Up to 450f?

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

I'm gonna be an overnight success. I'll get hundreds of millions of views. And be a millionaires in no time. LMAO
(and then I'll wake up)

This is me.

PTmowerMech

PTmowerMech

Well, I got up the other day and was going to cook some bacon in the new AF, and it was dead. The light would come on, but no heat and no fan. I contacted Chefman and they gave me the option of a new one. So I chose a different model. One of those that looks like a coffee maker. It's a lot smaller, instead of the 26qt oven style, the new one is going to be an 8qt. M# RJ38-SQSS-8T

1662467211575.png

On a positive note, I may look into swapping some parts out of the rusted one and the newer one to working. I really enjoyed that rotisserie.

timream

timream

I got one that is a toaster oven, convection oven, and air fryer. I love it, cooks quickly, meats are tender and juicy, plus I can fit a 12 inch pizza in there. I got the kitchenaid one for about 200 and got rid of my old toaster.