After about a year with stens, I've learned:

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
First question would be Dealer and the second is gas technician dealer. OEM is person that manufactures equipment and Votech is school KDI is Kohler diesel

Thank you.
I'm not planning on being a dealer. So that doesn't matter?

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You really got to watch your purchases at Stens. For example the Husqvarna 532193350 switch which cost $5.99 and sells for $9.99 is only at Stens for $25.05 with a suggested retail of $41.75. Buying switch from Stens is plain crazy.

I would have a small fortune if I brought five switches I have in stock from Stens. $125.25 vs $29.95 for the five OEM switches

Please use your head when procuring parts and don't simply get ripped off. Making 41% GPM is fine with me

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You really got to watch your purchases at Stens. For example the Husqvarna 53293350 switch which cost $5.99 and sells for $9.99 is only at Stens for $25.05 with a suggested retail of $41.75. Buying switch from Stens is plain crazy.

I would have a small fortune if I brought five switches I have in stock from Stens. $125.25 vs $29.95 for the five OEM switches

Please use your head when procuring parts and don't simply get ripped off. Making 41% GPM is fine with me

Yep,
lots of funny prices with all wholesalers .
Which is why you need more than one and why you have to cross check before you place an order
With the system I use I write the wholesalers part number in the margin on the left of the perforations so I know whose parts I used on that job but it does not appear on the customers invoice .
After a while you get to know which parts to buy from who .
These is a funny price on one of the plastic fuel taps as well and while being cheaper than the factory part is near 10 times the retail price of good pattern parts .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Yep,
lots of funny prices with all wholesalers .
Which is why you need more than one and why you have to cross check before you place an order
With the system I use I write the wholesalers part number in the margin on the left of the perforations so I know whose parts I used on that job but it does not appear on the customers invoice .
After a while you get to know which parts to buy from who .
These is a funny price on one of the plastic fuel taps as well and while being cheaper than the factory part is near 10 times the retail price of good pattern parts .
Yes they are all over the place.
That why I run an accounting software with auto manager. Here is an example a safety switch with all the alternates that I know of.
Acc Alts.JPG
And if I need to I have of the alternates in stock all I got to do a parts counter search.
ACC-ALT1.JPG
All this with the use of the bin system makes it a lot easier for an one person shop to keep track of all the parts in stock.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I generally look up parts from a diagram. While I'm there, (partstree, or others) I'll check their prices first. Then hope over to Stent to see if they have it and their price. If they dont, it's off to Amazon/ebay to see if there's an OEM or good aftermarket brand. If not it's back to partstree knowing the mark up is going to be very little.
Since I've had little trouble lately with Partstree, them being so close to me, makes them my go to of last resort.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
My issue isn't so much price but availability. Been waiting for a set of axle seals for a tiller for 2 weeks and no email they have shipped. Waited a month for intakes seals for a briggs. Stens finally showed 8 in stock. Hate me because i bought all 8.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
My issue isn't so much price but availability. Been waiting for a set of axle seals for a tiller for 2 weeks and no email they have shipped. Waited a month for intakes seals for a briggs. Stens finally showed 8 in stock. Hate me because i bought all 8.

Thanks a lot pal. I needed one.

LoL. J/k

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Hammer, Eight of which? Not clear as which you needed.

Here I normally keep Briggs intake seals in stock. No point in just ordering just the current need as they are commonly used item.

As for the tiller axle seals no way which ones you were/are looking for; therefore, I couldn't check my distributor stock levels. I even have a few those in stock too for the Troybilt but don't remember if they are for the Horses or Ponies.

And PT Partstree for is most times always higher than list but; of course, I order my Briggs from a distributor with about a 20 % discount off Briggs list. But even the 10% off Briggs list at Power Distributors is better than Partstree 10% off their list price.

But said availability does comes in play on rush jobs especially on items that none of my normal distributors carry.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Manifold gasket 691917

Order says "ready to ship" since the 9th.
Got the shaft in a little over a week.
Needed a MS250 air filter. Stihl dealer didn't have one in stock so if i want one filter price plus $20 special order fee. Just had to send back some yellow fuel line advertised as real Tygon but no white lettering on it so not realTygon. Parts are getting to be a pain.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
The Briggs o-ring is the one from the air cleaner to carburetor one which I currently 7 in stock.

I only have one the MTD 721-04232 seal but the distributor has 28 on hand so I don't see what the problem is with Jack's; unless, they are getting the same stick to you prices that MTD sent me where the cost $9.30 with a list of $10.33 so they are already above list. BTW MTD has already jack the prices again since the 1st of November as that seal was $9.03 on the 1st so I got download a new price import file again. Dang it is less than three weeks since the last hike.

I even still have 4 ea of the 1123 120 1613 Stihl filter. That fee sounds like you are dealing with JD. I haven't order through since last year as I found a dealer that order on a stock order and not charge any shipping fees.