After about a year with stens, I've learned:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope it works out. You will really need to get set up with a tax ID and start charging sales tax. Just takes one complaint to the IRS to screw you.
20 years ago you could stock a couple dozen blades and air filters. Not now, you need about a hundred different of each.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hope it works out. You will really need to get set up with a tax ID and start charging sales tax. Just takes one complaint to the IRS to screw you.
20 years ago you could stock a couple dozen blades and air filters. Not now, you need about a hundred different of each.

I had to buy a part from a competitor the other day, and he had a room about the size of the waiting room here, filled with blades. Side by side, at least 4 deep.
My mouth was watering.

Problem is, he's getting a reputation of being too high. And the two guys he has fixing things, apparently aren't doing a very good jobs. According to many of my customers now.
One of my commercial customers was buying a used scag from him. He was making payments and had about $500 paid on it. He went by there one day, and the mower was gone. Long story short, the owner wouldn't give him his money back. From what I understand they changed hands a few years back. The owners son took it over.

So not only do I need to get my tax stuff in order, I also need to get busy and get certified with Stihl, Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki too.

Baby steps.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I never intended to retail parts but being on the rural fringe my deliveries can take forever and then some .
The suburb is 1/2 inside the Sydney delivery zone & 1/2 out so the city drivers get given my deliveries then get to the river realize I am on the other side then take it back
Two to four days later the regional deliveries sub-contractor drops them off .
Add weekends and this pushes every job to 2 weeks minimum and we all know what it is like tripping over 1/2 finished jobs .
When I was a kid we were dirt poor so whenever there was a really cheap special mum would get all of us to go to that store & buy the bag limit to stock the pantry.
Thus while we hd no money the pantry had near 6 months worth of staple food items & we never went hungry .
I do the same thing now days so when Covid hit it was no problems & when I became ill it was no problem .
The business stock is run the same way.
When I started I marked up all parts 100% and doubled every order thus whatever I fitted, I always had a spare which was good cause I buggered up a few jobs so there was always a second chance to bugger it up right away and in theory I had a part I would be likely to need again .
Add to that was the monthly specials , same as when I was a kid, if the discount is big enough I buy lots .
Soon it became known that I had lots of parts & people just started to call by and in particular I had lots of very old parts ( these were the heavily discounted parts ) so a lot of the stuff I paid very little for got sold at full retail which end up being at 300 % to 600 % profit
Belts are the biggest line, There is around 1500 of them and that has been a life saver as now I can try a series of 1/2" shorter belts to compensate for worn pulleys & linkages then you tell the customer that I have fitted a x " shorter belt and that saved them $ 150 ( or more ) on a new stack pulley and the shorter belts will give them another y years .
Many of those belts were bought for $ 5 and have a full retail of $ 50 to $ 100 .
AS I started to get more commercial customers I made the effort to find out what consummables they all used & if I could get the same items , sell it to them heavily discounted over the price they are paying . The big boxes offer most a 10% discount but I can go 30 % to 50 % and still make a profit . Thus to pick one item, I go through around 100 x 5lb rolls of selected trimmer lines a year and while it is a small mark up, it is a mark up that I would not have gotten otherwise and of course they use it all the time so any time an order is short of the free delivery limit I just add a roll of two of trimmer line . Add to that ear plugs, gloves , spats safety glasses / face shields batteries & blades and it adds up to a tidy amount that would have never come my way . Even better is they talk to each other so right now I supply nearly all of the mowing contractors .
They send me a text , I make up a box, pop the invoice in it & leave it out for them to pick up when they go past . Easy money .
And for then next 5 to 10 year, interest rates will be so low that money in the bank is worthless so stock on the floor is a far better investment .
Add to that it makes he shop look really professional .
THink about all the videos you have looked at .
If in the background you see lots of parts hanging on the wall you think "professional" , if you see lots of tools widely spaces & arranged pretty you think "hobbist" if you see almoost nothing but junk you think "ego maniac idiot " .

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had to buy a part from a competitor the other day, and he had a room about the size of the waiting room here, filled with blades. Side by side, at least 4 deep.
My mouth was watering.

Problem is, he's getting a reputation of being too high. And the two guys he has fixing things, apparently aren't doing a very good jobs. According to many of my customers now.
One of my commercial customers was buying a used scag from him. He was making payments and had about $500 paid on it. He went by there one day, and the mower was gone. Long story short, the owner wouldn't give him his money back. From what I understand they changed hands a few years back. The owners son took it over.

So not only do I need to get my tax stuff in order, I also need to get busy and get certified with Stihl, Briggs, Kohler and Kawasaki too.

Baby steps.

Kohler you can do on line.
They send you a PDF with your name on it .
You then buy the Kohler certified sign & tack it out front
NEar that you tack a Briggs , Kawakasi etc sign .
People read the first then assume all the others are the same
All of the other brands down here charge a fortune for you to attend a workshop school & demand you do so on an on gong basis.
It costs over $ 1500 to become Briggs certified down here but you still have to keep a $ 30,000 inventory to have a Briggs account,
Stihl , Kohler , same thing Kawasaki have a training school but do not have a minimum inventory requirements but do have a minimum order of $ 500 or they add a $ 100 picking & packing fee . Stihl have a minimum order of $ 3000 to $ 8000 depending upon your turnover of their products.
Unless you are intending to become a retail whole goods supplier not worth the effort

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, what Bert said. Looked into becoming certified or whatever the engine companies called it. Shops like me are too small for them to want to work with. Oh yeah, that is also why every Briggs dealer near me is closed or dropped Briggs. My pockets aren't deep enough to be a dealer.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
NEar that you tack a Briggs , Kawakasi etc sign .
People read the first then assume all the others are the same
All of the other brands down here charge a fortune for you to attend a workshop school & demand you do so on an on gong basis.
It costs over $ 1500 to become Briggs certified down here but you still have to keep a $ 30,000 inventory to have a Briggs account,
Stihl , Kohler , same thing Kawasaki have a training school but do not have a minimum inventory requirements but do have a minimum order of $ 500 or they add a $ 100 picking & packing fee . Stihl have a minimum order of $ 3000 to $ 8000 depending upon your turnover of their products.
Unless you are intending to become a retail whole goods supplier not worth the effort
Without building onto the back of this shop, (and losing what little storage space I have back there) I'm pretty sure I couldn't fit $50K worth of parts here. Unless the guy let me use their last bay for storage racks. It's possible. Consider they have a 4 bay shop, and only actually use maybe 3.

As far as the certs go, I just sent a request into Kohler. The Stihl cert, I could really care less about. From what I understand you have to jump through a lot of hoops for Stihl. I'm not about all that. But as far as the Briggs & Kawasaki certs go, I know I can't do them now. But if I could get certified by them, then I could become a dealership, eventually. One of those "better to have it, and not need it. Than to need it and not have it" things.
The shop I mentioned earlier, has one certified tech. But he doesn't work on anything. He's alway at the counter selling parts. The two guys in the back do all the work. Which may explain the amount of complaints I hear about the place now a days.
Who knows? Who cares? But them having a certified tech there, gives them options.

I'm still on the baby steps. And thinking about stuff I shouldn't even be thinking about right now. :unsure:

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
And with B&S filing bankruptcy how will that affect dealers??

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If one is starting out Loncin , Liffan , Ducar & any other Chinese engine maker's certification would be more profitable long term
B & S will stop making engines all together in the near future .
The Vanguard plant will remain while they are still getting the Obama subsidies for bringing production on shore .
Perhaps they will sell enough Snapper , Simplicity & Ferris powered by Vanguards to keep the plant running .
They may buy back the factories that make all of the bought in parts but probably they will get all of the parts for older models made in China or India and just become a parts supplier for older engines but as a major engine maker, they have gone the way of Tecumseh , Onan , Generac, Wisconsin etc etc etc .
If so all of the aftermarket parts suppliers will also be able to get the same parts and retail at a lower price.
I could be wrong
Oregon has been owned by a hedge fund for near a decade but the usual hedge fund operation model is rape , pillage & squeeze the last cent out of what they bought then go on to destroy another business .

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads

I just got an email back from Kohler. It's the registration form. There's a couple of questions on here that I'm not sure how to answer.
Which of the following best describes your current employer? (Check One)
Dealer OEM VoTech

Which of the following best describes your position/desired training track? (Check One)
Gas Technician Dealer Warranty Administrator Dealer Sales Gas/Diesel/KDI Technician Diesel/KDI Technician
KDI Technician VoTech Gas Technician VoTech Gas/Diesel/KDI Technician VoTech Diesel/KDI Technician
VoTech Instructor

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
First question would be Dealer and the second is gas technician dealer. OEM is person that manufactures equipment and Votech is school KDI is Kohler diesel