A web page is slowing down your browser

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
My only experience with programming was back when we had to punch holes in cards to get the computer to do something. I have no idea what you guys are talking about and my brain is dead trying to understand the posts. I hope that the administration is working on finding a solution to this problem. Would definitely help this village idiot.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
I remember those punch cards too. We had a plate burner that we programmed with the punch tape deal. Pretty amazing machine back in the day, but some work in getting the program together. Site is working fine today, so far.

Edit - spoke too soon, it's back.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I go back a little further than that, Started off with optical mark cards being fed into a Wattfive compiler. Hundreds of hours with a chisel pointed 4B pencil then every one separated by a sheet of dunny paper to prevent them smudging.
No tool box in those days so every routine & sub routine had to be loaded in every time you ran a program thus you ended up with a stack of cards 2 foot tall, only to find one of the cards had smudged so the compiler tossed it out at line 3000 & something.
We were allowed 15 minutes of compiler time a week & 1 minute of computer time a week which sound quite small but the 360 ( which is very slow by todays standards could churn through around 100,000,000,000 lines in that minute. Ten years latter of course it was obsolete & being used to run the library as a stand alone application and probably paid for itself in library fines..
Next evolution was magnetic cards, basically a punch card with a stripe on the back so the compiler could read it faster and of course you could edit them if you made a transcription mistake.
By that time we had advanced to the 8 bit word and fixed routines started to be used and having a tool box was wonderful.
Industry down here used a lot DEC PDP's with no compiler so the front pannel had nothing but 8 on off switched and an enter button.
The PDP's were great because you could tie them into analog sensors like thermo couples to control furnaces & thickness gauges & pressure gauges to control rolling mills.

By the time I had left industry the same computers that I had been programming to do real work were sitting on the side of the road running traffic lights before we got them all connected to a main frame.

Anywhat memory lane is fine but once again it is too painfully slow to struggle with badly written scripts so I will see again mark everything as read & see you lot latter

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Now it only takes about 10-15 seconds to start typing, use to take at least 30 seconds. sometimes a minute or more.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Same again this morning.So it looks like it will be My Tractor Forum & Jack Small Engine forum for breakfast again today
See you lot tomorrow,,,,,, perhaps

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
For me on two different internet providers and you guessed it two different computers, it is only happening on this web site. One machine at work is the lovely Windowz 10 on multiple Gig fiber connections and at home Cox cable modem running Linux. Can't get much different than that. THIS site is running slow with all the ads. Once the ads load you can cruise along. Go to another page and let's wait a while, till the ads load.

slomo

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No different today than yesterday than all week.

DK35vince

Threads
Been having problems reading anything on this site for days

Lawn Addict
Threads
My problem just started tonite. Yes I run FF. & I can't get to my home page, but I can go everywhere else.. Go Figure..