A web page is slowing down your browser

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
With Firefox, look at the lower left of your window. You will see "waiting on ad.such and such server blah blah. Nothing wrong with your browser. Internet and the ad servers are congested.

slomo

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yep, you are right. Shows something down in that corner when the yellow banner comes on. Hadn't noticed that. Thanks!

Jack9

Threads
I'm using Brave (Chromium based, same as what Chrome uses) and it's also very slow. Each page takes around a minute to load.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
It is the same script that was giving trouble a while back.
Checked the screen shots I saves to post so the admin would know which one was giving us grief.
Better than 3 minute today to download the unread posts and then this page
So see you all tomorrow , perhaps.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
I'm using Brave (Chromium based, same as what Chrome uses) and it's also very slow. Each page takes around a minute to load.
Again it's not a browser issue. It's all the ads this site has. Every time you load a new page, the page requests info from all the ad servers we see. All the panties commercials and home mortgage finance loan rates.... Shop here and save a fortune web sites.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Again it's not a browser issue. It's all the ads this site has. Every time you load a new page, the page requests info from all the ad servers we see. All the panties commercials and home mortgage finance loan rates.... Shop here and save a fortune web sites.

slomo
Not according to my browse
It's is the add placing routine searching my hard drive to determine what package of adds to display.
Once it has decided on the package the page responds quite normally despite the fact that the adds are changing every few seconds.
If it was a network congestion problem the page would remain unresponsive all the time
If it was a network problem my CUP use monitor would not ramp up to over 90% the whole time the page is frozen .
IT is the script running on your computer that is causing the problem , or rather the script not finding what it is looking for and not being written properly with an "if no = " sub routine
Now I have not programmed since 1982 and then it was Basic +, Cobal & Fourtran so I am more than a little rusty and HTML means very little although I could stumble my way through HTML 1 but that was 30 years ago.
The people who wrote the script are all about showing the world how computer smart they are and as such try to use pack in as many unnecessay advanced routines as they can.
The thing is , they do not do is use the forum so have no concept of what problems the users encounter.
Add to that most are on full fiber networks and have been on one for so long they have forgotten the limitiations of those with a co-ax , ADSL or dial up connections.
They also run the most modern highest powered computers possible and the idea that everyone on the planet does not upgrade their CPU's twice a year is quite foreign to them .

y a long shot the best forum I am on is the Aust Rolls Royce owners forum.
Still running HTML II and working perfectly on the old OS 9 computer in Navigator .

So what is needed is a time out so if the script does not return a value the viewer gets the default set of adds
or
A cookie that gets installed when you open the first page ( usually a search page ) that remains active for the period of connection
Thus when we open the New posts or unread posts the cookie get posted and is used for each & every subsequent page opened during that session.

The problem I have ( & I assume others also have ) is the script takes 1 to 4 minutes to not find what it is looking for one each & every page that gets opened.
Thus this morning when there were 66 unread posts for me would be looking at 1 to 2 hours just for the pages to open .
Thus it was the same as yesterday.
Answer this post them mark the rest as read & close the Lawnworld window.
It is now lunch time so I thought I would check to see if the problem is solved which it has not been.
So again the 37 new posts were all flagged as read without being looked at and as soon as this is posted I will pop over to MY Tractor Forum while I have lunch.

The problem for the owners is once a potential new member has been treated this way they will give up and join a different forum or limit their searches to you tube or face book.
The numbers on this site have been plumiting over the past few years and the number of new members is dropping like a stone.
People are very suspicious of forums and when this one suddenly hijacks their CPU for several minutes the natural assumption is it is downloading viruses, trojans or spywear.
When I first signed up there were usually over 200 new post daily in season , now days it is a small fraction of that, 66 this morning & god only knows if any of them got the answer they wanted because I just marked them all read

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
All I know when just surfing the forum I can disable fetch commands in NoScript and I get no delays. But I can't post until I enable the fetch commands and then the delays start again.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Not according to my browse
It's is the add placing routine searching my hard drive to determine what package of adds to display.
Once it has decided on the package the page responds quite normally despite the fact that the adds are changing every few seconds.
If it was a network congestion problem the page would remain unresponsive all the time
If it was a network problem my CUP use monitor would not ramp up to over 90% the whole time the page is frozen .
IT is the script running on your computer that is causing the problem , or rather the script not finding what it is looking for and not being written properly with an "if no = " sub routine
Now I have not programmed since 1982 and then it was Basic +, Cobal & Fourtran so I am more than a little rusty and HTML means very little although I could stumble my way through HTML 1 but that was 30 years ago.
The people who wrote the script are all about showing the world how computer smart they are and as such try to use pack in as many unnecessay advanced routines as they can.
The thing is , they do not do is use the forum so have no concept of what problems the users encounter.
Add to that most are on full fiber networks and have been on one for so long they have forgotten the limitiations of those with a co-ax , ADSL or dial up connections.
They also run the most modern highest powered computers possible and the idea that everyone on the planet does not upgrade their CPU's twice a year is quite foreign to them .

y a long shot the best forum I am on is the Aust Rolls Royce owners forum.
Still running HTML II and working perfectly on the old OS 9 computer in Navigator .

So what is needed is a time out so if the script does not return a value the viewer gets the default set of adds
or
A cookie that gets installed when you open the first page ( usually a search page ) that remains active for the period of connection
Thus when we open the New posts or unread posts the cookie get posted and is used for each & every subsequent page opened during that session.

The problem I have ( & I assume others also have ) is the script takes 1 to 4 minutes to not find what it is looking for one each & every page that gets opened.
Thus this morning when there were 66 unread posts for me would be looking at 1 to 2 hours just for the pages to open .
Thus it was the same as yesterday.
Answer this post them mark the rest as read & close the Lawnworld window.
It is now lunch time so I thought I would check to see if the problem is solved which it has not been.
So again the 37 new posts were all flagged as read without being looked at and as soon as this is posted I will pop over to MY Tractor Forum while I have lunch.

The problem for the owners is once a potential new member has been treated this way they will give up and join a different forum or limit their searches to you tube or face book.
The numbers on this site have been plumiting over the past few years and the number of new members is dropping like a stone.
People are very suspicious of forums and when this one suddenly hijacks their CPU for several minutes the natural assumption is it is downloading viruses, trojans or spywear.
When I first signed up there were usually over 200 new post daily in season , now days it is a small fraction of that, 66 this morning & god only knows if any of them got the answer they wanted because I just marked them all read
I have a 21st century computer and run Linux. Threw away the vacuum tubes long ago.

You can tell, once the ads are done loading the page loading will resume. Each page pulls data from dozens of servers all over the internet. Plus each page like this one constantly requests new ads all the time. Like the smokin' hot blonde from the 70's? Remember her ad?

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Just to put your mind at rest Slomo. this is being written on an I Mac running Linux (Ubuntu ) on one petition, Science on another & OS 10 on the third .
The OS 9 computer is an old Graphite AV twin processor loaded up with what was around $ 20,000 worth of softwear from the days of technical writing , desktop publishing & POS advertising.
Kitted out with 2GB of ram thanks to Ram boubler so I can run the OS on a ram disc which makes it blistering fast.
The apps all run on a 5 disc striped raid array and the desktop downloads & documents registers are on a 4 way mirror through soft raid & an old raid rack array from an old ISP .
Don't use it much any more since that part of my life is over but it is used to view the RROG, A7-A10 , C10-11-12 , Bantam , Gold Star, B50, Military Motorcycles , Practical Machinist, Vintage Mowers, Foundrymens , Foundry Planet & Metallographers forums & the Brit Iron mailing llst on the weekends when I fire the system up .
The point I was making is none of them hang like Lawnworld does and most have advertisements from all over the planet on them.
The only difference is none of them loads advertisments specific to the emails I have been sending , the purchases I have made from on line auctions, ebay & general browsing.
Although some load geographically relevant advertisements & one definately loads advertisements selected from the contents of my browser history.

This computer is used to browse all of the mower & chainsaw forums I haunt ( about 10 of them ) and Brit - Bike plus store all of the mower related files & run the repair business.
SO no valves in this network although until I moved to this location there was an APC IV running DOS 5 on the network because it had the courier softwear on it with all of the transis kilometers for the entire nation which was used to make up price lists.
Again a lump of soft wear that would have cost $ 50,000 to replace with a copy ported for newer machines, picked up at a liquidation sale of a transport company back in the days when they sold the computers as are without erasing or removing the hard drives.

There is also a dual processor cheesegrater running Windoze under soft PC so I could run NAVS from the warehouse & distribution days .

I don't programe any more , I found it both tedious & cumbersome particularly as I had to be conversant with 3 different OS's because UNSW ran an IMB 360 when I was an undergraduate & post graduate student. the Institute of Technology ( now UTS ) ran Cobal also on a 360 and TAFE ran Dec PDP 12 on Basic + when I was both a student & teacher there so I never became really proficient in any of them .