49065-0721 Kawasaki OEM Oil Filter replaces 49065-7007

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 49065-0721 Kawasaki OEM Oil Filter replaces 49065-7007
Fine print in every manufacturers parts list is they retain the right to change the specifications of parts without notice.
And again it is a lawn mower.

nearly all of my customers end up with a Briggs large filter on their mowers because they think a bigger filter is going to be better.
I can only just barely get my head around filter media & I gotiot taught to me as part of a 1 hr a week for 13 weeks subjext so Joe Public would have no idea.
This has been confirmed by the hundreds of U- tube videos put up my monkeys who learned how to open one up then prove they have no idea about what they are looking at.
Looks like Rotary use the Briggs short as a substitute for the 49065-7007 https://www.rotarycorp.com/search?q=49065-7007
Stens also sell the same filter https://www.stens.com/120-485-oil-filter

Now both of them warranty their filters and any damage that can be attributed to using them in place of any filter number listed against them
I have had 2 kawasaki warranty claims where the dealer tried to pull the wool over the customers eyes with "the after market filter voids the warranty"
I called the rep and the next day it was "dop it off & we will have it back in 3 working days, do you require a loan mower ?"

AVB

Threads
There is so much of this bull of subbing it isn't funny at times. When order anything you are taking a chance of getting the wrong items, factory reject, some off the wall item, or if you are lucky the right part; unless, you are buying from a reliable distributor. Then even they can screw you up but most time they will send you what you order; unless, the OEM actually superseded the item.

I have one after market company that change last year that I had dealt with since 2009. First they started sending out v-belts that were the wrong lengths yet they fought like crazy when I tried returning them. I lost over $1000 in v-belt that I couldn't return. Now that they have merge with A&I the reasonable freight charges has gone up to standard UPS rates; unless, I can place a $200+ orders. I haven't placed a single order with them since October as their aftermarket parts prices are higher than the OEM distributors I have now especially when you add in the freight charges.

Or with some vendors you can return the item but then get hit with restocking fee on a defective item as I did with an Amazon vendor. I actually got sock with a 30% restocking fee for the item plus the shipping charges both way. Basically they got the item back for free. Basically I was trying not to pay the $80 a piece for the Cub spindles as the bearing and seals from Cub was higher then a new spindle at that time. Well one good thing came from that and that was I found a good bearing supplier that is reasonably priced with a 2 day delivery. Just ordered some 6201-2Z bearings that Stihl dealer wanted $26.76 each @ $12.50 for 10 ea. Boy what ripoff by the Stihl dealer.

Another good example of this ridiculous way of doing things is where I ordered from Stens some supposedly aftermarket Kohler pre-filters. What I got was the same Kohler OEM filter in the Kohler bag. Then I recent needed a few Husqvarna key switches. They were priced at nearly $25 for one switch with a suggested retail of >$40 then I double checked my OEM distributor and got them for < $6 each with suggested retail of $10. I ordered 4 switches along with some other OEM parts I was needing. So depending on how you look at it I got 3 switches for free or just kept from being ripped off.

AVB

Threads
To those that thought one my last posts was trying to get political, I wasn't trying I was just stating how the laws were changed in the last 3 yrs to allow even more corporate greed. As per post #22 you can see a company can nearly charge $27 for a $0.75 bearing and get by with it; unless, the consumer is aware that they are simply being ripoff for the sake of massive profits; therefore, purchase the item from someone else as I did. I could if I was dishonest charge the $27 for that $0.75 bearing and just ignore the customer's complaints but I wasn't brought up that way. I just charge a fair price where I make a fair profit on the item. At least I can sleep peacefully about what I charge.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Seems most sites claim the 0721 superceded the 7007 or they show the 7007 but if you put in the 0721 is says it is not found. Nobody had a cross for the 0721 filter either to another brand. If I put the 7007 into the parts lookup systems, it shows every engine that it was used on. If I put in the 0721 there is no engine reference.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
To those that thought one my last posts was trying to get political, I wasn't trying I was just stating how the laws were changed in the last 3 yrs to allow even more corporate greed. As per post #22 you can see a company can nearly charge $27 for a $0.75 bearing and get by with it; unless, the consumer is aware that they are simply being ripoff for the sake of massive profits; therefore, purchase the item from someone else as I did. I could if I was dishonest charge the $27 for that $0.75 bearing and just ignore the customer's complaints but I wasn't brought up that way. I just charge a fair price where I make a fair profit on the item. At least I can sleep peacefully about what I charge.

You obviously have not worked in logistics.
It is not uncommon for a part to have storage, picking & transport fees substantially higher than the actual cost price of the goods.
This is particularly the case with low value items like a 75¢ bearing which down here would have to be ordered in lots of 10.
It is not a massive rip off it is a case of too many different parts requiring too much warehouse space and down here the idiot tax avoidance practice of always leasing property rather than buying it outright.
We have the most expensive rents on the planet apart from Dubai and this cost has to be passed on to the customer.
Then there are fair trading laws which create things like volume discounts.
The actual number of bearings that Stihl order is probably about 10% of what the bearing franchise orders so the unit price that stihl pays can be orders of magnitude higher.
Silly example, a can of black goop that kids drink costs about 34¢ at the factory gate but has a nominal price of $ 2.00
The corner shop pays $ 2.00 a can plus delivery but the supermarkets pay 25¢ a can delivered free and the $ 1.75 difference is called a volume sales discount.

To overcome logistical costs down here Stihl have minimum orders for their retailers that range from $ 5,000 to $ 8,0000.
Thus if I need a stihl part that is not stocked I have to ring around the the 9 local agents to find out which one is going to place an order first.

Just think how much it actually costs you to walk into your store room, locate the part then invoice the customer for it.
And that does not take into account the ordering and the oppertunity cost of the purchased part.

This accounts for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the difference in wholesale price of chonda engines & locally made engines.
The chondas come into the country & go direct to the retailer, no warehouse, no parts inventory no double handeling.

AVB

Threads
Well I can see why people are beginning to avoid Stihl here when the dealer are charging $100 per hr plus parts to work on a $150 Stihl chainsaw. Here many hand held are no longer nonsocial due just parts costs. Maybe in 10-15 years there won't a need for techs to repair anything. When something breaks it be cheaper just to replace it.

As the cost of me finding a part in my storeroom it takes less 15 minutes with the stocking system I have and take just a few minutes to look up the part number in the first place as long as I already have the IPL available to me as I do on 99% of the Stihl product parts.

It is taking me longer right now due a software sku import supersede problem which didn't carry over the bin locations so I am going through the bins right now verifying in house stock locations. But I need to do an annual inventory count anyways,

Sourcing the parts be it Stihl or other OEM isn't as big of problem for me but I have been doing this for nearly 40 yrs now.

But you talk me into charging a lot more since the customer won't know the difference between the Stihl part and the sourced part; unless, I tell them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
$ 150 chain saws are throw away items.
No one was ever meant to work on them.
They are just so the dealer can have something in the shop at the same price as big box store junk .
The technicians are there to work on the $ 1000 professional saws.
I still have & regularly loan out my old 042 from 198? .
I also lend out an 080S and that dates from the 60's
When people bring in trash that buy on line the first thing I tell them is the repair will cost more than the purchase price.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
$ 150 chain saws are throw away items.
No one was ever meant to work on them.
They are just so the dealer can have something in the shop at the same price as big box store junk .
The technicians are there to work on the $ 1000 professional saws.
I still have & regularly loan out my old 042 from 198? .
I also lend out an 080S and that dates from the 60's
When people bring in trash that buy on line the first thing I tell them is the repair will cost more than the purchase price.
The cost of the bar chain and sprocket is enough to make it a throw away saw, and that doesn't include labor.

And to AVB in the past three years the average repair cost for riding mowers in my shop has went from $175 to $400 and labor rates haven't changed
Most of my repairs have changed from working on consumer type riding mowers to higher end Z turns.

I am currently looking at the repair cost on a JD L100 with a running engine but needs carb work, electric wiring harness repairs, valve cover gasket, oil change, rt deck spindle, new set of blades and transmission drive belt. A JD 135 with a blown 22 hp intek without engine oil,no battery, needs right deck spindle, right side idler pulley, wiring repair due to dog damage, and a Craftsman YTH4000 with a briggs 18.5 single intek that has dropped the exhaust valve seat, broken camshaft compression release, minor deck repairs. Trying to determine if the best option is to repair the L100 or drop the engine from the L100 to transplant it to the Craftsman. And the customer really wanted the 135 repaired using an engine from one of the other mowers, Which would require replacing an intek 22 twin with either an intek 17 or 18.5 single.

Lawn Addict
Threads
So of course I called Kawasaki today, & they confirmed the new part # 49065-0721 the tiny filter is indeed the latest offering from them.
I also read Fram is making them for Kawasaki, which made me really pizzed.

Why doesn't anyone use something like a Purolator PL10241 or something else reasonably priced ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Does Wix make any filters that fit your engine?