Export thread

49065-0721 Kawasaki OEM Oil Filter replaces 49065-7007

Is this legit ? I can't get any info off the Kawasaki engine site.

Been using OE 49065-7007 since day 1, now filters I have coming are said to be 49065-0721.

I

ILENGINE

Some sites I checked show them as two different part number with both in stock, other show the 7007 superceding to the 0721.

ILENGINE- I thought the official Kawasaki engine site would show it, but no.

I see in description to the new # that it now has by-pass & anti drain back... Shows on the OE Kaw box both numbers as the new # replacing the old number.

I just don't like change I guess.. Thank You Sir, Much appreciated as always.

cpurvis

cpurvis

I've been using the NAPA 7035 on my FR730V. It's made by Wix; I think the Wix number is 57035. It has the bypass and anti-drainback.

I've been using the NAPA 7035 on my FR730R. It's made by Wix; I think the Wix number is 57035.

Cpurvis- Thank You Sir as well, Yes the Wix # is 57035, I've been using the OE filters, & when my order for the 49065-7007 now shows as 49065-0721 I got concerned. Wix would be fine, I just prefer the hex on filter ends. And I only hand tighten, but that hex allows me to sleep better. LOL.

Appreciate that Scrub- All are slightly smaller diameter than what mine takes.

Attachments

AVB

AVB

The hex is just another place the filter can leak. Or at least that what on my last oil filter change on my Chevy S1500. Put on new Purolator filter and with a couple weeks I started losing oil. It looked a rear main seal failure until I ran UV oil dye test. Two stress cracks right where the hex were formed. But considering that filter cups are made single flat sheet stretched into a cup I surprised that I don't see more failures. It the same process that they use to make soft drink and beer cans,

Initial non leak was just that the paint hadn't failed. Purolator wouldn't honor their filter warranty either.

As for the 49065-7007 I just the Briggs 492932S or aftermarket version.

That's interesting, cause I've been running same size hex on my Harley oil filters since the 90's & never any leak issues at the hex or elsewhere.

They are pressure tested you know.. Thanks for Briggs number.

B

bertsmobile1

An exact diameter match is not neccessary, just so long as the sealing ring is on the machined face.
The same engine can have a dozen different sized filters for no reason other than when fitted into the frame, the standard filter can not be removed .
All that is important is the mesh size of the filter
The rating of the bypass valve
And weather it has a non-return valve.
When I first started I used to keep around 40 different sized filters.
Now I keep 3 imperial and 4 metric filters because I can buy them all in trade packs cheap .
It is not a F1 race engine it is a mower fitted with the cheapest engine Kawasaki can possibly build because Joe public expects to get their mowers for nothing & will not pay a fair price.

cpurvis

cpurvis

It's called 'capitalism.'

Admittedly, it's the worst economic system out there--except for all the rest.

B

bertsmobile1

It's called 'capitalism.'

Admittedly, it's the worst economic system out there--except for all the rest.
It's called brainwashing and massive corperate greed,
50 years ago companies made good products and people paid a reasonable price for them.
Then we learned how to do mass brainwashing through advertising and in particular product placement .
Then we were convinced that we had to have everything and we have to have it now.

Think of all of the advertisement that subliminally told you that old = looser
Thinks of all of the TV where again the good guys had new everything & the bad guys had old everything.
Think of all the advertisements spruking the lie that a retreaded tyre will kill you & your family and re-refined oil will make your car blow up.
The end result is a mountain of worn out tyres that regularly "accidentially" catch fire and reprocessed oil only being available to railways & trucking companies.

AVB

AVB

Or we can elect a crook and lair as we did for president that is erasing all of the rules limiting the greed. Just my opinion BTW. Yes my books are looking like I am doing a lot more in business but bottom line is worst now than before. The only one organization that making out like bandit is the tax people. What worst my wages haven't gone up but my expenses have.

A good example of the resulting costs is a Stihl drive shaft that I paid $15 for in 2017 is now $36.45. More than double in price and not meanting the Zama carburetor kits which jumped 3-4X for the Stihl products.

Yes corporate greed is totally uncheck now.

B

bertsmobile1

The occupant of the big chair makes no difference it is the occupants of the board rooms that cause the problems.
Remember the decade when "Greed was good"
This was followed by the triple bottom line where companies had to squeeze every last drop of profit .
Then there was the large testicle decade when you had to "own the market" , usually by buying out your competitors or dropping your prices to a level that they can not meet.
Now we have the KPI era where executives set themselves meaningless target to achieve in order to pay themselves massive bonuses.
The EU tried to bring in manditory service life for consumer durable products but it got voted down because manufacturing now days is so dependent upon high annual sales of new models, because the prices are so low there is not sufficient profit per unit sold to maintain the factory should volumes drop.

cpurvis

cpurvis

It's called brainwashing and massive corperate greed,
50 years ago companies made good products and people paid a reasonable price for them.
Then we learned how to do mass brainwashing through advertising and in particular product placement .
Then we were convinced that we had to have everything and we have to have it now.

Think of all of the advertisement that subliminally told you that old = looser
Thinks of all of the TV where again the good guys had new everything & the bad guys had old everything.
Think of all the advertisements spruking the lie that a retreaded tyre will kill you & your family and re-refined oil will make your car blow up.
The end result is a mountain of worn out tyres that regularly "accidentially" catch fire and reprocessed oil only being available to railways & trucking companies.

Sure, there is corporate greed but also what you're seeing is consumers acting in what they believe to be their own financial best interest.

They run the gamut from those who'll spend $15k on a top-dollar JD or ZT to the Big Box Store customer. A lot of people can't afford to buy the best lawnmower without having to do without something else they need.

I thought no politics was permitted on this forum.. Admittedly that was just skimming it, but a different forum I frequent has had that snowball into a battle of BS.

I'm out..

ILENGINE- I thought the official Kawasaki engine site would show it, but no.

I see in description to the new # that it now has by-pass & anti drain back... Shows on the OE Kaw box both numbers as the new # replacing the old number.

I just don't like change I guess.. Thank You Sir, Much appreciated as always.

I just compared to the 'new replacement' that Kawasakiengines.com has no info on this new filter. And it is a lot smaller. Both in length & OD.
I think the it should work, but I may just send them back. :mad:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Looks like small engine wharehouse still has the 7007 in stock

Yes that's what it shows, but not what it shipped. :rolleyes:

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Yes that's what it shows, but not what it shipped. :rolleyes:
Sue 'em for false advertising?:ROFLMAO:;)
I saw quite a few on ebay of the 7007 and no one mentioned the numbers being different. Who knows.

B

bertsmobile1

Fine print in every manufacturers parts list is they retain the right to change the specifications of parts without notice.
And again it is a lawn mower.

nearly all of my customers end up with a Briggs large filter on their mowers because they think a bigger filter is going to be better.
I can only just barely get my head around filter media & I gotiot taught to me as part of a 1 hr a week for 13 weeks subjext so Joe Public would have no idea.
This has been confirmed by the hundreds of U- tube videos put up my monkeys who learned how to open one up then prove they have no idea about what they are looking at.
Looks like Rotary use the Briggs short as a substitute for the 49065-7007 https://www.rotarycorp.com/search?q=49065-7007
Stens also sell the same filter https://www.stens.com/120-485-oil-filter

Now both of them warranty their filters and any damage that can be attributed to using them in place of any filter number listed against them
I have had 2 kawasaki warranty claims where the dealer tried to pull the wool over the customers eyes with "the after market filter voids the warranty"
I called the rep and the next day it was "dop it off & we will have it back in 3 working days, do you require a loan mower ?"

AVB

AVB

There is so much of this bull of subbing it isn't funny at times. When order anything you are taking a chance of getting the wrong items, factory reject, some off the wall item, or if you are lucky the right part; unless, you are buying from a reliable distributor. Then even they can screw you up but most time they will send you what you order; unless, the OEM actually superseded the item.

I have one after market company that change last year that I had dealt with since 2009. First they started sending out v-belts that were the wrong lengths yet they fought like crazy when I tried returning them. I lost over $1000 in v-belt that I couldn't return. Now that they have merge with A&I the reasonable freight charges has gone up to standard UPS rates; unless, I can place a $200+ orders. I haven't placed a single order with them since October as their aftermarket parts prices are higher than the OEM distributors I have now especially when you add in the freight charges.

Or with some vendors you can return the item but then get hit with restocking fee on a defective item as I did with an Amazon vendor. I actually got sock with a 30% restocking fee for the item plus the shipping charges both way. Basically they got the item back for free. Basically I was trying not to pay the $80 a piece for the Cub spindles as the bearing and seals from Cub was higher then a new spindle at that time. Well one good thing came from that and that was I found a good bearing supplier that is reasonably priced with a 2 day delivery. Just ordered some 6201-2Z bearings that Stihl dealer wanted $26.76 each @ $12.50 for 10 ea. Boy what ripoff by the Stihl dealer.

Another good example of this ridiculous way of doing things is where I ordered from Stens some supposedly aftermarket Kohler pre-filters. What I got was the same Kohler OEM filter in the Kohler bag. Then I recent needed a few Husqvarna key switches. They were priced at nearly $25 for one switch with a suggested retail of >$40 then I double checked my OEM distributor and got them for < $6 each with suggested retail of $10. I ordered 4 switches along with some other OEM parts I was needing. So depending on how you look at it I got 3 switches for free or just kept from being ripped off.

AVB

AVB

To those that thought one my last posts was trying to get political, I wasn't trying I was just stating how the laws were changed in the last 3 yrs to allow even more corporate greed. As per post #22 you can see a company can nearly charge $27 for a $0.75 bearing and get by with it; unless, the consumer is aware that they are simply being ripoff for the sake of massive profits; therefore, purchase the item from someone else as I did. I could if I was dishonest charge the $27 for that $0.75 bearing and just ignore the customer's complaints but I wasn't brought up that way. I just charge a fair price where I make a fair profit on the item. At least I can sleep peacefully about what I charge.

I

ILENGINE

Seems most sites claim the 0721 superceded the 7007 or they show the 7007 but if you put in the 0721 is says it is not found. Nobody had a cross for the 0721 filter either to another brand. If I put the 7007 into the parts lookup systems, it shows every engine that it was used on. If I put in the 0721 there is no engine reference.

B

bertsmobile1

To those that thought one my last posts was trying to get political, I wasn't trying I was just stating how the laws were changed in the last 3 yrs to allow even more corporate greed. As per post #22 you can see a company can nearly charge $27 for a $0.75 bearing and get by with it; unless, the consumer is aware that they are simply being ripoff for the sake of massive profits; therefore, purchase the item from someone else as I did. I could if I was dishonest charge the $27 for that $0.75 bearing and just ignore the customer's complaints but I wasn't brought up that way. I just charge a fair price where I make a fair profit on the item. At least I can sleep peacefully about what I charge.

You obviously have not worked in logistics.
It is not uncommon for a part to have storage, picking & transport fees substantially higher than the actual cost price of the goods.
This is particularly the case with low value items like a 75¢ bearing which down here would have to be ordered in lots of 10.
It is not a massive rip off it is a case of too many different parts requiring too much warehouse space and down here the idiot tax avoidance practice of always leasing property rather than buying it outright.
We have the most expensive rents on the planet apart from Dubai and this cost has to be passed on to the customer.
Then there are fair trading laws which create things like volume discounts.
The actual number of bearings that Stihl order is probably about 10% of what the bearing franchise orders so the unit price that stihl pays can be orders of magnitude higher.
Silly example, a can of black goop that kids drink costs about 34¢ at the factory gate but has a nominal price of $ 2.00
The corner shop pays $ 2.00 a can plus delivery but the supermarkets pay 25¢ a can delivered free and the $ 1.75 difference is called a volume sales discount.

To overcome logistical costs down here Stihl have minimum orders for their retailers that range from $ 5,000 to $ 8,0000.
Thus if I need a stihl part that is not stocked I have to ring around the the 9 local agents to find out which one is going to place an order first.

Just think how much it actually costs you to walk into your store room, locate the part then invoice the customer for it.
And that does not take into account the ordering and the oppertunity cost of the purchased part.

This accounts for about 1/4 to 1/3 of the difference in wholesale price of chonda engines & locally made engines.
The chondas come into the country & go direct to the retailer, no warehouse, no parts inventory no double handeling.

AVB

AVB

Well I can see why people are beginning to avoid Stihl here when the dealer are charging $100 per hr plus parts to work on a $150 Stihl chainsaw. Here many hand held are no longer nonsocial due just parts costs. Maybe in 10-15 years there won't a need for techs to repair anything. When something breaks it be cheaper just to replace it.

As the cost of me finding a part in my storeroom it takes less 15 minutes with the stocking system I have and take just a few minutes to look up the part number in the first place as long as I already have the IPL available to me as I do on 99% of the Stihl product parts.

It is taking me longer right now due a software sku import supersede problem which didn't carry over the bin locations so I am going through the bins right now verifying in house stock locations. But I need to do an annual inventory count anyways,

Sourcing the parts be it Stihl or other OEM isn't as big of problem for me but I have been doing this for nearly 40 yrs now.

But you talk me into charging a lot more since the customer won't know the difference between the Stihl part and the sourced part; unless, I tell them.

B

bertsmobile1

$ 150 chain saws are throw away items.
No one was ever meant to work on them.
They are just so the dealer can have something in the shop at the same price as big box store junk .
The technicians are there to work on the $ 1000 professional saws.
I still have & regularly loan out my old 042 from 198? .
I also lend out an 080S and that dates from the 60's
When people bring in trash that buy on line the first thing I tell them is the repair will cost more than the purchase price.

I

ILENGINE

$ 150 chain saws are throw away items.
No one was ever meant to work on them.
They are just so the dealer can have something in the shop at the same price as big box store junk .
The technicians are there to work on the $ 1000 professional saws.
I still have & regularly loan out my old 042 from 198? .
I also lend out an 080S and that dates from the 60's
When people bring in trash that buy on line the first thing I tell them is the repair will cost more than the purchase price.
The cost of the bar chain and sprocket is enough to make it a throw away saw, and that doesn't include labor.

And to AVB in the past three years the average repair cost for riding mowers in my shop has went from $175 to $400 and labor rates haven't changed
Most of my repairs have changed from working on consumer type riding mowers to higher end Z turns.

I am currently looking at the repair cost on a JD L100 with a running engine but needs carb work, electric wiring harness repairs, valve cover gasket, oil change, rt deck spindle, new set of blades and transmission drive belt. A JD 135 with a blown 22 hp intek without engine oil,no battery, needs right deck spindle, right side idler pulley, wiring repair due to dog damage, and a Craftsman YTH4000 with a briggs 18.5 single intek that has dropped the exhaust valve seat, broken camshaft compression release, minor deck repairs. Trying to determine if the best option is to repair the L100 or drop the engine from the L100 to transplant it to the Craftsman. And the customer really wanted the 135 repaired using an engine from one of the other mowers, Which would require replacing an intek 22 twin with either an intek 17 or 18.5 single.

So of course I called Kawasaki today, & they confirmed the new part # 49065-0721 the tiny filter is indeed the latest offering from them.
I also read Fram is making them for Kawasaki, which made me really pizzed.

Why doesn't anyone use something like a Purolator PL10241 or something else reasonably priced ?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Does Wix make any filters that fit your engine?

Seems most sites claim the 0721 superceded the 7007 or they show the 7007 but if you put in the 0721 is says it is not found. Nobody had a cross for the 0721 filter either to another brand. If I put the 7007 into the parts lookup systems, it shows every engine that it was used on. If I put in the 0721 there is no engine reference.

I have done exactly the same thing. That new number can't be found. Yet on the Phone to Kawasaki today they claim that is the latest offering.
& I told them about not finding it on their website, & they replied it must not have been updated yet..

This new filter is so tiny. And if it's madwe by Fram (possibly) WIX will be sounding better & better,.

Does Wix make any filters that fit your engine?

Yes Scrub, Wix 57035, but same price as the Kawasaki filter.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

I think the briggs 492932S will cross with the Kaw filter.

Seems so. Thank You. Now I wanna look up specs

B

bertsmobile1

Yes it dose said that back in post # 21
Even put the links to the Stens & Rotary catalogue pages.
AFAIK Both of them are USA made Champions Oregon & Prime Line will also do a substitute filter but no idea where theirs are made.
At least one will come out of China as the Briggs short filer is available from a dozen or more factories in China

As for the price , read post # 25.
The volume going through Kawasaki dealers would be lucky to be 1/10 of what passes through any one of the after market suppliers.
The cost of raising an invoice at the last warehouse I ran was $ 2.75 and the price of a hand pick was $ 3.25 which rose to $ 4,95 if they were so high it became a fork pick.
Places that invoice directly from a web page the invoicing price goes down to around 15¢
Then the parts sales team have to eat and have a cost / hr regardless of weather they are filling orders or not.
Unless the dealer has a direct reorder system which reorders parts as they are sold you then need a storeman & some one to place an order

As for the parts substitution it will be simply something like the previous filter will not fit on one of the new mwers so in order to keep costs to a minimum Kawasaki have decided to use the newest filter on all models.
This is sound proceedure as it increases the unit volume through put thus lowers the price and of course reduces the inventory needed to be kept at the warehouse and at the dealers.
As posted way back, the specks on all mower oil filters are so close you can just about substitute any of them for any other one of them
When they speck 28 micron that really is 25 to 30 micron and in many cases the same mesh size is labled differently from different suppliers.
All mower oil filters are way over capacity for the job they are doing because it is cheaper to use a car sized outer case than have a unique 1" diameter x 2" long filter which is about what they need.

The 12 packs are about 2/3 the price of individual filters and the 24 packs are about 1/2.
Those discounts come from volume effiencies, one pick & one invoice for 24 items.
And it probably costs the same to truck 24 filters as it does to truck one.
I buy the Briggs long in 24 packs and all the others in 12 packs, usually during the off season when discounts are happening.

cpurvis

cpurvis

Yes Scrub, Wix 57035, but same price as the Kawasaki filter.
$7.20 for the Wix 57035 at Rock Auto dot com

Thank You Bert- I appreciate & understand what you're saying. And it makes sense. Kawasaki is getting too proud of these oil filters in cost.

I have used auto filters on every previous riding mower, & never any oil or engine related issues. I looked up your Rotary link & Stens.
They would need to be ordered online. But are good quality in my experience.

Trying to find something that I can just walk in & grab off the shelf. Wix is easy access, but cost is same as Kaw.

I use 1 oil filter per year, so buying bulk is not good for me.

Purolator is one I'm studying.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Do you have an Autozone or Orielly auto near by?
Or a Napa
Might do some searching on Bob is the oil guy website, he's got some good info.

$7.20 for the Wix 57035 at Rock Auto dot com

That would be fine, but adding in the shipping & it's a wash. $12.28. Plus I get a discount from RockAuto

B

bertsmobile1

Thank You Bert- I appreciate & understand what you're saying. And it makes sense. Kawasaki is getting too proud of these oil filters in cost.

I have used auto filters on every previous riding mower, & never any oil or engine related issues. I looked up your Rotary link & Stens.
They would need to be ordered online. But are good quality in my experience.

Trying to find something that I can just walk in & grab off the shelf. Wix is easy access, but cost is same as Kaw.

I use 1 oil filter per year, so buying bulk is not good for me.

Purolator is one I'm studying.
You should find the Stens , Rotary & oregon ones all over the web.
All of the aftermarket sites have a dealer locator.
Generally some one like myself without any brand franchises to contravine by selling non brand filters.
Probably one right next door thatt you never knew about.

Down here they are all over ebay

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

The hex is just another place the filter can leak. Or at least that what on my last oil filter change on my Chevy S1500. Put on new Purolator filter and with a couple weeks I started losing oil. It looked a rear main seal failure until I ran UV oil dye test. Two stress cracks right where the hex were formed. But considering that filter cups are made single flat sheet stretched into a cup I surprised that I don't see more failures. It the same process that they use to make soft drink and beer cans,

Initial non leak was just that the paint hadn't failed. Purolator wouldn't honor their filter warranty either.

As for the 49065-7007 I just the Briggs 492932S or aftermarket version.
Are you the same AVB on the OPEforum.com forum??

AVB

AVB

Yes. along being on the Jack's Forum and others. Now on some I do use my full callsign of KE4AVB.

Now with that out the way I do apology for going off subject here. So I will just get back on the topic for now as others have brought us back onto the subject at hand which was did Kawasaki supersede the oil filter. From what I gather they did but I have one distributor that has over a 1000 of 7007 filter and about 500 of 0721.

Since I don't have access to the Kawasaki price files I in the same boat as others I have all the engine part numbers on file with any supersedes available which makes finding and verifying Kawasaki part numbers difficult.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Long long ago in a land far far away i was KA8FRO. Blew the finals out of my Dentron radio, got married, had kids and gave up on the radios. Too many other things happening.
I just use Briggs filters on the Kaw engines.

AVB

AVB

Boy that been awhile as that was either a No Code Tech or Technician license. I manage to pass the 13 wpm before they dropped the code requirement. Maybe one of these days I go get my Extra Class. I still remember my CB license number of KBOD-3634. That was before dropped the license requirement.

There are at least two different size Kawasaki filters and only the larger one will take the Briggs. I keep both in stock for oil changes but as the oil I have switched to full synthetic 15w50 due the summer heat around here, besides Kawasaki is recommending me to use 20w50 in their engines.

Hammermechanicman

Hammermechanicman

Boy that been awhile as that was either a No Code Tech or Technician license. I manage to pass the 13 wpm before they dropped the code requirement. Maybe one of these days I go get my Extra Class. I still remember my CB license number of KBOD-3634. That was before dropped the license requirement.

There are at least two different size Kawasaki filters and only the larger one will take the Briggs. I keep both in stock for oil changes but as the oil I have switched to full synthetic 15w50 due the summer heat around here, besides Kawasaki is recommending me to use 20w50 in their engines.
Back in 1978 i passed the novice ticket. I could copy code at 20 WPM. Oh yeah.....i had been a morse interceptor in the army for a few years. Had to pass 18 WPM to graduate morse class. The guy giving the morse test couldn't believe it.
Is the filter issue size or a thread/flange issue the short briggs filter won't work?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Back in 1978 i passed the novice ticket. I could copy code at 20 WPM. Oh yeah.....i had been a morse interceptor in the army for a few years. Had to pass 18 WPM to graduate morse class.
Thank you for your service!??

Thanks Everyone for your input.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

WalMart has Wix 57035 Bout $8. Life is good again.. (y)

Scrub- Yes I have all the auto parts houses close by. Thanks Bud.
Your Walmart carries Wix!? Lucky you, ours only carries fram shtuff
Luckily O'rielly is closer to me, wix 51394 is what I go for. My local Autozone, or advance auto doesn't carry wix either. Just KN,Fram, etc.

O'reilleys here wants $14.95 for a Wix 57035. They can keep it.

I can get 2 @ WalMart for a pinch above O'reilleys pricing for 1.

Home Depot also carries Wix 57035, but it is $9.57, that's not bad. But not the best price either.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thanks!
But I put in my location and the store doesn't carry it. Although it is $2 cheaper,orielly the shipping jacks it up.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I did read your post about Walmart in your area not carrying Wix. My Bad..

That is a big filter you have listed there.

O'reilleys here are crazy on pricing certain stuff. It is my last resort.
no problem,
51394 is for Kawasaki FE 290

I frequent tractor supply often, they carry Purolater... What do you think about them?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Thanks buddy!

0729dad

0729dad

Fine print in every manufacturers parts list is they retain the right to change the specifications of parts without notice.
And again it is a lawn mower.

nearly all of my customers end up with a Briggs large filter on their mowers because they think a bigger filter is going to be better.
I can only just barely get my head around filter media & I gotiot taught to me as part of a 1 hr a week for 13 weeks subjext so Joe Public would have no idea.
This has been confirmed by the hundreds of U- tube videos put up my monkeys who learned how to open one up then prove they have no idea about what they are looking at.
Looks like Rotary use the Briggs short as a substitute for the 49065-7007 https://www.rotarycorp.com/search?q=49065-7007
Stens also sell the same filter https://www.stens.com/120-485-oil-filter

Now both of them warranty their filters and any damage that can be attributed to using them in place of any filter number listed against them
I have had 2 kawasaki warranty claims where the dealer tried to pull the wool over the customers eyes with "the after market filter voids the warranty"
I called the rep and the next day it was "dop it off & we will have it back in 3 working days, do you require a loan mower ?"
This exact scenario just happened to me except I just had to pay $100 to pick my zero turn up. To add insult to injury the said they left the key on over the weekend. So I dropped it off with just over 100 hours and picked it up with 210 hours!!! Ugh he kept calling me cheap for using this filter too, man I was getting frustrated! I’m lost now as to what to do! I can’t just accept I’m screwed as an answer

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

I'd run away from wherever you took your mower as fast as possible.

B

bertsmobile1

This exact scenario just happened to me except I just had to pay $100 to pick my zero turn up. To add insult to injury the said they left the key on over the weekend. So I dropped it off with just over 100 hours and picked it up with 210 hours!!! Ugh he kept calling me cheap for using this filter too, man I was getting frustrated! I’m lost now as to what to do! I can’t just accept I’m screwed as an answer
So start a new thread with your exact problem and what has happened to date
Lots of dealers on this site who can advise you what course to follow.
If they are claiming that an after market filter caused the problem then write a nice letter to the filter maker.
However if they do not list your filter as a replacement for the original filter then you are on your own.
This is why I always advise people to buy and fit after market filters from a mower shop
A quick line from Stens, Prime Line, Oregon or Rotary will get results as they guarantee their filters and also guarantee that fitting them will not void warranty.
Different story if you go to Auto Zone and buy whatever Wix / Fram / house brand filter that some one other than the filter maker put on a cross refference then you are on your own.

0729dad

0729dad

I'd run away from wherever you took your mower as fast as possible.
I did! And the owner who dealt with my machine just happened to be on vacation for the rest of that week when I picked it up… I brought it directly to a different dealer from there. like bertsmobile1 suggested I’ll start a new thread

H

hlw49

I did! And the owner who dealt with my machine just happened to be on vacation for the rest of that week when I picked it up… I brought it directly to a different dealer from there. like bertsmobile1 suggested I’ll start a new thread

H

hlw49

Kawasaki only has two filters 49065-0721 an 49065-0724 they are completely interchangeable as long they will screw on the oil filter housing and nothing interferes with the fit.

wrldtvlr

wrldtvlr

Kawasaki only has two filters 49065-0721 an 49065-0724 they are completely interchangeable as long they will screw on the oil filter housing and nothing interferes with the fit.
49065-7007?

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

49065-7007?
49065-7007 is superseded to 49065-0721

Kawasaki only has two filters 49065-0721 and the 49065-0724 they are completely interchangeable as long they will screw on the oil filter housing and nothing interferes with the fit.
I'll tell ya I have both these filters here, & the 49065--0724 is a very skinny filter in comparison. I will try & avoid using it. But that's just a preference.

H

hlw49

They have the same amount of filter element in them as per Kawasaki.

Ok, Thanks for reply, It's just cosmetically anemic looking in comparison to the 0721.

H

hlw49

rite now the 49065-0724 is all we can get so that is what we have to use and sell.

StarTech

StarTech

Funny if I wanted to use the 49065-721 the distributor I use warehouse has plenty but I usually just use the AM Briggs replacement filter I have in stock. Of course 636 filters might less than you need.

1630154956692.png

Y

yaztae

i had a mower company told me my filter was clog and blew up my motor and told me it will be 4500 to fix my mower thats less than a year old. that the company part will not cover because the filter was clog, but isnt that the purpose of the filter to protect the mower,

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

most filters have a bypass system built in to them, so if it did clog, oil will bypass the filter and continue to lube.

Y

yaztae

i took it to the shop when i got it back it was smoking

B

bertsmobile1

As per scrubby, all mower filters, both genuine & aftermarket have a bypass
Some auto filters don't because the bypass is built into the filter housing
So if the mower shop claimed that sent their quote to the company that makes the filters you were using.
The local Toro dealer tried that with one of my customers , I sent the details to Stens and within a week the dealer had sent a courier around to pick up the mower gratis , done a head swap ( both heads ) under warranty & returned the mower in 3 days .
I had a Husqvarna dealer try the same trick & I sent that quote to to my other wholesaler & had a similar outcome only they took 3 months to do the repairs so the owner bad mouthed them big time on Feaces Book to the extent that Husqvarna refused to renew the franchise .

Funny if I wanted to use the 49065-721 the distributor I use warehouse has plenty but I usually just use the AM Briggs replacement filter I have in stock. Of course 636 filters might less than you need.

View attachment 58121
And know I was told the 49065-0721 is replaced with 49065-0724, IDK about that ?

H

hlw49

Just saw our Kawasaki rep and was told they could not get the 49065-0724 filter any more and had a new different no. that would replace it. Don't know the part no. off hand but said the oil ring was round and not square cut like the 49065-0724 filter. Seems like there was something else but don't recall just now.

Thanks for update, if you recall anymore, please post up.

H

hlw49

I'll find out and post back.

Appreciate it !!

M

MParr

FRAM PH8710
WIX 57035
I use a FRAM TG4967 or STP S4967 on my Kawasaki Mule. It should work if there’s enough room. It is a little longer than the others.

Thanks MParr- I'm stocked up, just was curious about the oil filter change by Kawasaki.

B

bertsmobile1

They probably just changed the supplier

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

They probably just changed the supplier
I think for awhile Fram was making the Kawasaki filters..

M

MParr

I think for awhile Fram was making the Kawasaki filters..
It’s possible. I know that Kohler oil filters are currently made by Champion Labs.
Here’s a video that may help explain things. All four of the Kawasaki oil filters are made by Champion Labs. Manufacturing and materials have evolved. Champion Labs is now owned by First Brands. First Brands now own FRAM as well. You will start seeing technology from both companies come together.

R

RayMcD

Been using OE 49065-7007 since day 1, now filters I have coming are said to be 49065-0721.
Here's a list of filters that will work,
WIX 57035 32 micron (2.3 tall)
WIX 51056 21 micron (2.7 tall) 51348 (3.4 tall)
WIX 57148 5 micron (3.4 tall)
PH8170

I for one use the WIX 57148, much better than the OEM filters, Cheers, Ray

R

RayMcD

Here's a list of filters that will work,

WIX 57035 32 micron (2.3 tall)
WIX 51056 21 micron (2.7 tall) 51348 (3.4 tall)
WIX 57148 5 micron (3.4 tall)
PH8170

I for one prefer the WIX 57148, Cheers, Ray

B

bertsmobile1

Again, it matters very little which filter you use
Mower engines are crude rude & unsofisticated .
All of the specs for them are just about identical
The only real difference is the external size
The only important thing is the internal bypass valve but in most cases you would have to run the engine 10 hours a day 365 days a year for 5 years to totally clog the oil filter to the point that the bypass activates

While under warranty, I'll stick to the K Tech filters..

M

MParr

While under warranty, I'll stick to the K Tech filters..
Have you thought of using a paint pen to mark the hours and date of change on the end of the filter?

Have you thought of using a paint pen to mark the hours and date of change on the end of the filter?
Yes Sir, I do that, & I have a log book to record each mow time, & what has been done etc, thru the year, so I have records. Not just my old memory. LOL. ..

H

hlw49

Finally go a chance to check on the new filter no. that replaces all the other filter nos. 49065-20721. Made by the Ja Pan company. LOL. Has round o ring and is about the same size as the 49065- 0724.

Scrubcadet10

Scrubcadet10

Finally go a chance to check on the new filter no. that replaces all the other filter nos. 49065-20721. Made by the Ja Pan company. LOL. Has round o ring and is about the same size as the 49065- 0724.
20721 or 2071?

Finally go a chance to check on the new filter no. that replaces all the other filter nos. 49065-20721
Wow, I can't find that new # anywhere ? Even on Kawasaki site shows the 49065-0724 only.........

Attachments