24HP V-Twin B&S - Fault driving me CRAZY!

Neo7

Threads
Spring are already back on as I did them one at a time.... The Rope through the sparkplug hole work well.

Hmmm you have me worried now about buying the cam. This issue has cost me far too much money (and time) from buying the wrong parts so I'm really keen to find it on this attempt. The full gasket kit takes a week to arrive and Laping the valves is a good idea (and good maintenance) but if it turns out to be the Cam thats another week wasted waiting for a 2nd lot of parts. :frown:

I'm trying to think this through.... Push rods are dead, dead straight, compression was very good and the same on both cylinders ... But do the cam lift measurements I made look suspicious?

All the best.
Neo

Threads
Yes you are right on being in a rush for your equipment..... Bert is pretty sure about those cam lift measurements sounds like one of them is off....

How much does a gasket set cost down there ??? I have a friend in Perth ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Full set is around $ 80 after market and $ 120 genuine.
Just remember we are talking monopoly money here.
I cut copper head gaskets for a lot of engines cause & have a knibbler and the copper is worth $ 15 compared to a Briggs gasket at $ 22.
Works really well cause I can charge them out at $ 30 and from there on in I save 1/2 hour cleaning off paper gaskets when ever a head needs to come off.

Neo7

Threads
Over here a crankcase set is for my engine is AU$45 (US$32.57) but a Full Gasket and Seals Set is AU$76 (US$55) .... So weighing this up I think the best thing to do is proceed with caution as you say. I'm going try and buy a Full Gasket set then while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'll lap the valves and remove/check the cam too.

Just one problem .... The Full Set I found came up as a "Similar Set" while searching the online store. So I actually need to confirm if this covers my engine (MODEL 445677, TYPE 0476E, CODE 0512155YG) OK?https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/genuine-briggs-stratton-gasket-set-engine-694012.html ... Can anyone help me confirm this?

Bert the copper gaskets sound like a great idea ... How thick does the copper sheet need to be?... and what type of nibbing tool do you use?

Many thanks.
Neo

Threads
Over here a crankcase set is for my engine is AU$45 (US$32.57) but a Full Gasket and Seals Set is AU$76 (US$55) .... So weighing this up I think the best thing to do is proceed with caution as you say. I'm going try and buy a Full Gasket set then while I'm waiting for it to arrive I'll lap the valves and remove/check the cam too.

Just one problem .... The Full Set I found came up as a "Similar Set" while searching the online store. So I actually need to confirm if this covers my engine (MODEL 445677, TYPE 0476E, CODE 0512155YG) OK?https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/genuine-briggs-stratton-gasket-set-engine-694012.html ... Can anyone help me confirm this?

Bert the copper gaskets sound like a great idea ... How thick does the copper sheet need to be?... and what type of nibbing tool do you use?

Many thanks.
Neo

Yes that is the set you need 694012 Wow that's a good price for you US dollars are 80.00 ~!~!

Just make sure it says Genuine Briggs OEM like the one in the link says .......

Neo7

Threads
Thank you ... I'm on to it ;-)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Buy it quick before the realize they have made a mistake.
That is the retail price for the crankcase kit with seals.
My wholesale price is more then that.

As for the copper, I have been using 1mm because that was left over from a sheet I was using for motorcycle gaskets.

Neo7

Threads
Ordered.

And you cut out all those holes (large and small) with a nibbing tool?

Threads
Yes Bert is right ..... That is a very good price. Dealers don't have a lot of mark on that stuff.... If I order that kit by itself I would have 15 bux in shipping and package materials..... My customer could go to another dealer that has it in stock and pay cheaper there...........

People always think we make a killing on parts..... That's Bull Butter......

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Neo7

Threads
Yes I know (from other industries) that the manufacture always makes a far, far higher margin than the reseller and they don't even deal with the end users ... They just hide in the background always looking so cool :thumbdown: