24HP V-Twin B&S - Fault driving me CRAZY!

Neo7

Threads
I think Boo uses pictures because he's too lazy to type :tongue::laughing::laughing:
Yes .... An explanation would be greatly appreciated Boo :smile:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes .... An explanation would be greatly appreciated Boo :smile:

PS_0159W_THING_HEAD.jpg ... Sometimes, a picture (or a poster) is worth a thousand words ! ... :laughing:..:laughing:

mikebarber

Threads
New guy here joined today I read "most" of the thread My 2 cents worth says a valve hanging in the valve guide getting worse as temps rise or a valve seat being loose at high temp I had the valve seat issue on a Wisconsin Robin running a pressure washer that I got used it ran very good until 1 day so I removed the head and a bunch of center punch marks around the valve seat told me what had been going on so I added a few more and it has been fine ever since I know it will happen again and when it does I will get out my punch Joined to search for info on my Intec twin Briggs going into a Hustler Fastrack that someone else started on and gave up never getting wiring connected to get it to run Gary Shelton Wa

Neo7

Threads
Thanks Mike and welcome.... Always good to have fresh ideas but in this case (and I have been hold off telling everyone) I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM :thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup::cool: ... Without using a sledge hammer :laughing:
I'm hesitating as I type this because this engine has given me the runaround for so Loooooonnnnng it's not funny :laughing:

You might recall back in Post #19 I asked "So is fixing the old carb really worth all the effort?" and I went out and bought a cheap Chinese Copy Carb.... Well that decision effectively brought us to Post #176!!:tongue: .... Boo you are a very wise man and I will take your advice far more seriously for ever more!!

Ok here's what happened... I decided I was going to fit a Single BBL Carb and manifold to this (24HP) engine. So in desperation (need of wide cut mower) I borrowed these from my 21HP John Deere and started looking for a Single BBL Carb and manifold on eBay and Mower Wreckers.... but had no luck with either.
Then I had the bright idea of fitting the Twin BBL Carb and manifold to the John Deere. I did that and what I got was old pop, pop, popping!!... So I had moved the same fault from one engine to the other. So then I thought could it be that the original fault was simply the (repeatedly tried and tested) old plastic manifold and the cheap Twin BBL Chinese Carb is also defective with exactly the same symptoms?
I managed to find the original Twin BBL Carb (which previously I'd come close to trashing!) and fitted it now with the new Ali Twin BBL Manifold .... And like a dream come true THE POPPING WAS GONE! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't regret rebuilding the engine (TWICE!). It's given many hours of service and a rebuild was needed sometime soon.
I don't regret buying parts I didn't need. I learnt a lot and knowledge is worth far more than money :rolleyes:

Lessons learned
  • Don't buy cheap Chinese Copy Carbs... Because they will leave you up sh*t creek without a paddel!!
  • Plastic Manifolds are sh*t ... Never againing will I have/leave one of these on an engine I own.
  • The guys on this forum are all great ... Thanks so much gents.
  • Boo is a wise wizard ... listen to Boo :smile:

Take care guys... and thanks again for all the effort you put into this.
Neo

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks Mike and welcome.... Always good to have fresh ideas but in this case (and I have been hold off telling everyone) I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM :thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup::cool: ... Without using a sledge hammer :laughing:
I'm hesitating as I type this because this engine has given me the runaround for so Loooooonnnnng it's not funny :laughing:

You might recall back in Post #19 I asked "So is fixing the old carb really worth all the effort?" and I went out and bought a cheap Chinese Copy Carb.... Well that decision effectively brought us to Post #176!!:tongue: .... Boo you are a very wise man and I will take your advice far more seriously for ever more!!

Ok here's what happened... I decided I was going to fit a Single BBL Carb and manifold to this (24HP) engine. So in desperation (need of wide cut mower) I borrowed these from my 21HP John Deere and started looking for a Single BBL Carb and manifold on eBay and Mower Wreckers.... but had no luck with either.
Then I had the bright idea of fitting the Twin BBL Carb and manifold to the John Deere. I did that and what I got was old pop, pop, popping!!... So I had moved the same fault from one engine to the other. So then I thought could it be that the original fault was simply the (repeatedly tried and tested) old plastic manifold and the cheap Twin BBL Chinese Carb is also defective with exactly the same symptoms?
I managed to find the original Twin BBL Carb (which previously I'd come close to trashing!) and fitted it now with the new Ali Twin BBL Manifold .... And like a dream come true THE POPPING WAS GONE! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

I don't regret rebuilding the engine (TWICE!). It's given many hours of service and a rebuild was needed sometime soon.
I don't regret buying parts I didn't need. I learnt a lot and knowledge is worth far more than money :rolleyes:

Lessons learned
  • Don't buy cheap Chinese Copy Carbs... Because they will leave you up sh*t creek without a paddel!!
  • Plastic Manifolds are sh*t ... Never againing will I have/leave one of these on an engine I own.
  • The guys on this forum are all great ... Thanks so much gents.
  • Boo is a wise wizard ... listen to Boo :smile:

Take care guys... and thanks again for all the effort you put into this.
Neo

AHHhhhh the PERSISTENCE & PATIENCE you put forth finally excelled in the end, hope the next time we hear you from U, its that, U enjoyed UR 4th of July BBQ !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
July is in the middle of winter so the only BBQ done down here s marshmellows on the fire.
And we are yet to be annexed by the USA so July 4 is just another working day down here.

Threads
NEO NEO NEO.............. I thought you had the original carb on there all this time ...... I knew you had bought a chin chang carb but I thought you put it to the side.....

if I remember right I told you a few times to do a complete rebuild of that carb, and I think I sent you a link for a video......

Well I am certainly happy for you on getting this SAGA novel completed LOL..............

Don't be a stranger.... You have enough under your belt now to help a few people on here now and then .....

Plus Tard Mon Ami ~!~!

Neo7

Threads
It's funny Boo but my hundreds of hours of experiences and diagnostic techniques with motorbikes actually lead me astray with this Mower Engine .... Goes to show that there's always more to learn :laughing:
Will catch you guys soon :thumbsup: