23hp Briggs v-twin 625 hours... Rebuild?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I had well over 1000 hours before my lawn tractor engine developed serious problems. And, even then, those problems were not normal ones but ones that were caused by poor engine design and never would have happened to a well-designed engine. I am talking about the Kohler Courage 20hp engine, otherwise known as the "bucket engine". The problem is the "bucket" design of the crankcase that is its weakness. With age, it develops a crack in the crankcase sidewall that isn't repairable.
They only crack if the bolts come loose
The crack is very repairable I have done about a dozen of them in a variety of ways from epoxies through to welding.
It is an easy fix
Only affects some mowers , got lots now with better than 2000 hours running strong
Yes it was a design fault but it was also covered under warranty for around 10 years

bigcrunch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone have a setup to show how to properly bore a twin or even single cylinder slanted engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You make a mounting plate to replace the sump ten index the bore to quill
After that it is a few jacks & clamps
If you are going to do a few then start with a right angle plate clamped to the bed
Index to the bore clamp the crank to the mounting plate .
Draw an outline around the crankcase sump face
Use a sump gasket to locate the sump bolt holes but drill them oversize to allow for final adjustment
When mounted pop a couple of jacks under a convienant spot to prevent it dropping down when being machined
That is how my machinist did mine, he had never done one before

Tinkerer200

Threads
Personally I do the work in house when comes to oversizing the piston bores using one of the below hones and a 1/2" low speed drill (under 300 rpm).
View attachment 57712
15000 Small Cylinder Hone Full 2" to 7" Range (50.8 - 177.8mm).
16000 Small Cylinder Hone. For 1 3/4" to 2" Range (44.5 mm to 69.9 mm)

Of course you must the correct stones and racks too.
I have and did use the same equipment above. At my age, I no longer do work. IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Walt Conner

bigcrunch

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone use a kwik way type boring bar on small engines?

bartles

Threads
I have and did use the same equipment above. At my age, I no longer do work. IF it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Walt Conner
Hey Walt....don't know if you remember me, bought a bunch of Dixon parts from you years ago. You'd be happy to know I restore both of the 3304's I acquired using a lot of the inventory you shipped to me. I sold one and restored the other one as a keeper. I use it to tow around a spray rig. I love those ole mechanical marvels!! bartles, Louisiana