23hp Briggs v-twin 625 hours... Rebuild?

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Slomo, Apparently you are one those hacks that I had to clean up afterwords. What you are suggest just masks to true problem.Just like those that believes duct tape and JB Weld fixes everything.
I'm a hack for sure. Clearly not a professional like most of you guys on here. Bubble gum and bailing wire is all I use. I'm the worst mower person on Earth.

slomo

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
My local machine shop that bores cylinders charges $100/cylinder. So you are not out of line as far as pricing. The days of $25 cylinder boring are over.

The last 6 overhauls had over .010 wear before boring which had to be bored .020 over.
And Most Briggs engine only have .020 over available other than standard.
I'm a hack for sure. Clearly not a professional like most of you guys on here. Bubble gum and bailing wire is all I use. I'm the worst mower person on Earth.

slomo
No joking about 5 yrs ago I got in a walk behind that the blade was duct taped on. And I got one customer using car tags for deflector.

Last edited:

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
And Most Briggs engine only have .020 over available other than standard.

No joking about 5 yrs ago I got in a walk behind that the blade was duct taped on. And I got one customer using car tags for deflector.
You need to watch Pakistani Truckers on youtube. Want to talk about being creative. Rebuilding big rig batteries, in FLIP FLOPS. No eye protection or skin protection. Dudes are off the hook. Rebuilding big rig truck frames.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Only thing I don't do in house is 2 stroke rebores & crank grinding .
But back to the OP
A set of new rings can extend the life of the engine for quite a while but you do need the ridge reamer .
A job that most familiar with tools can comfortably do for around $ 200 Aus .
Like the others here I have 6 cubic meters of motors that need a full rebuild that I keep telling myself I will do come day.
But I make twice the profit in 1/4 the time by fitting a new engine and then warranty is not on my head.
I could say that engines are way too cheap now days but every one would howl me down.
But the reason why the planet is in such a bad shape is because we have allowed big business to rape & pillage third world countries so everything we use is cheaper to replace than repair.
Then people with Phd's in manipulating your mind create advertising campaigns that convince us we have to buy new despite most can actually tell it is rubbish compared to what it is replacing.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
You need to watch Pakistani Truckers on youtube. Want to talk about being creative. Rebuilding big rig batteries, in FLIP FLOPS. No eye protection or skin protection. Dudes are off the hook. Rebuilding big rig truck frames.

slomo

Well I consider those in the Middle East area to be 51 cards short of a full deck anyway so nothing surprises me about them.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
When you live some where that is essentially lawless OH & S is not a priority.
Not being hyjacked , robbed , blown up or dragged out and hacked to pieces because you are the wrong religion is probably a lot higher on their priority list .
We view a lot of these things through our own prism where every life is sacred and to be saved.
Over there no one outside the immediate family gives a stuff who lives or dies.
You only need to cross your own southern border to appreciate that, let alone going south of the Panama Canal

countrjd

Forum Newbie
Threads
Just bought a 2006 z425 John Deere 48 inch zero turn mower for $1,500. They have 625 hours on the engine. It's not burning oil or smoking, but I'm thinking that 625 hours is probably getting to the end? So should I wait until it breaks or should I rebuild it? How much would it cost to have someone rebuild it? I was born in a mechanic machinist shop and I rebuilt a couple small engines.. but that was 30 years ago... And I don't have some of the tools... Lol
A new engine through Amazon costs about 16 to 1800 dollars. I had a smaller engine that essentially blew up, oil smoke everywhere. I talked to my small engine mechanic and he said to replace it. Bought one from Amazon and the next time I talked with him he said I paid less than his cost from Briggs & Stratton. If it were me I'd run it until it gave out and buy a new one. No messing around waiting for parts and costs almost as much as a new one.

Ronni

Threads
Just bought a 2006 z425 John Deere 48 inch zero turn mower for $1,500. They have 625 hours on the engine. It's not burning oil or smoking, but I'm thinking that 625 hours is probably getting to the end? So should I wait until it breaks or should I rebuild it? How much would it cost to have someone rebuild it? I was born in a mechanic machinist shop and I rebuilt a couple small engines.. but that was 30 years ago... And I don't have some of the tools... Lol

Ronni

Threads
A new engine through Amazon costs about 16 to 1800 dollars. I had a smaller engine that essentially blew up, oil smoke everywhere. I talked to my small engine mechanic and he said to replace it. Bought one from Amazon and the next time I talked with him he said I paid less than his cost from Briggs & Stratton. If it were me I'd run it until it gave out and buy a new one. No messing around waiting for parts and costs almost as much as a new one.
My 2007 riding mower developed a crankcase crack at aboutn1000 hours. Up till then, it ran very well. The crack did her in as far as repairing it. The rest of the mower was in great shape so I looked around online for a short block replacement and found several for around 800 to 1000 dollars. Then I found one on Amazon for $550 and bought it. Replacing the block was a breeze; just taking everything off the old block and putting it all on the new block. Cranked her up after filling with oil and filter and she came to life and works great.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
And then the manufacturers complain that dealers are not selling enough equipment/engines, etc. Has been for years that you could purchase a new push mower from a box store cheaper than the dealer could buy the engine. Generac has been known to sell on Amazon with free shipping below dealer cost on the same portable generator. Got a flyer for Poulan Pro products a few years back from my distributor, and the dealer pricing/profit was reasonable. The problem was Rural King was selling the same product for $200 under dealer cost.