2023 Liberty Z 42 Hydraulic Oil Change Help

Lawn Addict
Threads
OK, once I filled till it came out side ports @ 56.6 oz each, & capped them Let it sit overnight, & rechecked next day, it took some more in each, then did purge process over & over. let sit overnight again.. REchecked levels, & added a slight bit, so about 63 oz in each. Bottom line is Clean Clean & Clean. Wipe above the oil filters (like show shine rag, before you would even begin to loosen them. Any dirt at all could wreck them.

And after good purge processes, it can take a lil more fluid. HG tech told me this..

Attachments

• AFTER.JPG
    AFTER.JPG
    231.1 KB · Views: 6

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
OK, once I filled till it came out side ports 56.6 oz each, & capped them Let it sit overnight, & rechecked next day, it took some more in each, then did purge process over & over. let sit overnight again.. REchecked levels, & added a slight bit, so about 63 oz in each. Bottom line is Clean Clean & Clean. Wipe above the oil filters (like show shine rag, before you would even begin to loosen them. Any dirt at all could wreck them.
Yes. I just finished reading your post/link you sent. That was very helpful as well. One point of clarification. Is the side port you mentioned and the top port the same plug? The SCAG manual uses Top Port. But the HG manual calls it Side Cover, Oil Level Port. I am guessing they are the same.

And the process you recommend based on the video/kit, I do not need to take off the oil input port (#5)? That is the port I struggle to access. I assume you struggle to access as well with your Liberty.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes. I just finished reading your post/link you sent. That was very helpful as well. One point of clarification. Is the side port you mentioned and the top port the same plug? The SCAG manual uses Top Port. But the HG manual calls it Side Cover, Oil Level Port. I am guessing they are the same. They are, It's confusing, just who is calling it.. But look to be sure..

And the process you recommend based on the video/kit, I do not need to take off the oil input port (#5)? I did not need to. That is the port I struggle to access. I see, mine has room to access, but I did it all thru the side fill/oil level/ fill port from underneath. . That is your end of it fill level anyhow. I assume you struggle to access as well with your Liberty. If you have the black double barbed fitting for the pumper, you can do it all thru the sides.. (Important) It vents as it fills. Air is what need to escape.
I put mine up on wooden blocks so it sit level & I could work under it easier..

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
I put mine up on wooden blocks so it sit level & I could work under it easier..
Thank you. You just saved me. I see you post often and are particular about your unit. Recommendation on a Grease Gun?

Lawn Addict
Threads
(y) I was raised to take care of my equipment. So something I may not know about, I research it & ask questions & then determine if I got this. Like you are doing. Then next time is easier. Having it level is important to fill it full level.

Any decent hand pump grease gun is all ya need. Nothing fancy. Mine only takes about 1/2 stroke in each fitting anyhow. Mine only has 50.0 hours on it. How about yours ?

If you can safely put it up on 3" to 5" or so wooden blocks & level (DO NOT use concrete blocks) you should have decent access to work under it (I did anyhow),..Set your park brake as well. Make sure it is Very Stable before even going under,.. Life is precious.

Last edited:

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
(y) I was raised to take care of my equipment. Having it level is important to fill it full level.
A decent hand pump grease gun is all ya need. Mine only takes about 1/2 stroke in each fitting anyhow. Mine only has 50.0 hours on it. How about yours ?
Just got it. I prepare early so that when I need to service the unit, I am ready to go and have all the proper tools. I am new to taking care of my equipment on my own. I usually have it serviced, but I want to learn how to use my hands. So starting with my Stihl, Echo, and now Scag equipment.

I need to buy something to lift the unit as well. I assume a floor jack and jack stands are what I need.

How do you lift your unit on wooden blocks?

Lawn Addict
Threads
Excellent we all start somewhere.

For lifting in the shop, I use my 3 TON floor jack... Start in rear (heaviest) block up, & carefully lower onto blocks move to front. do same. I would advise against getting a lower cost 2 ton unit. Those jacks are not safe imo..

My floor jack is over 30 years old. I bought a good one & it is still good.. And jack stands of mine are all 3 ton.

On my floor jack I cut a heavy piece of good rubber for lifting pad, so it doesn't scratch up everything, but also so it does not Slip.

& I have Echo & Shindaiwa, both over 10 years old & still run & look new.

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Excellent we all start somewhere.

For lifting in the shop, I use my 3 TON floor jack... Start in rear (heaviest) block up, & carefully lower onto blocks move to front. do same. I would advise against getting a lower cost 2 ton unit. Those jacks are not safe imo..

My floor jack is over 30 years old. I bought a good one & it is still good.. And jack stands of mine are all 3 ton.

On my floor jack I cut a heavy piece of good rubber for lifting pad, so it doesn't scratch up everything, but also so it does not Slip.

& I have Echo & Shindaiwa, both over 10 years old & still run & look new.
I have four 3-ton jack stands. I wonder if that will work for my 42 Liberty Z? I just need the 3-ton floor jack.

Lawn Addict
Threads
Look it over for places to hold it at. I personally like it sitting on wheel blocks, but if set up safely, should be good.

tjm5837

Forum Newbie
Threads
Wondering if your mower has this issue. I had a scag liberty Z 36" about a month. It had an issue with the deck adjustment pins interfering and rubbing on the deck lift arm on the inner pin adjustments, those holes closest to the operator. (ie: 4" hole etc)
Sometimes to get the pin to go into the inner adjustment holes would need to tap on the deck lift cam to move the deck lift arm inwards to access the inner adjustment holes. The dealer contacted scag and scan's answer was to reverse the 2 bushings on the lift arm to move it about 1/2" inboard. This solved the issue, and all pins were accessible.
However. Down the road this caused a catastrophic deck drop while mowing in 4 1/2" height (outer hole), when vibrations caused the cam to move and the deck stop tab that is held by the pin to slip past the pin and drop the deck all the way to the ground causing a 15 foot all the way to the dirt.
Before I was able to shut it down ,burned up the clutch and burnt the belt. Dealer kindly took back the unit an ordered me another one. The replacement had the same issue.
The issue can be seen in you tube video from Tony's lawn care.
Can't find a 42" liberty Z around me to look at, to see if this is present on those too. Just wondering if yours has the same issue.