2023 Liberty Z 42 Hydraulic Oil Change Help

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello Everyone:

I am not the greatest mechanic, so I am looking for some help. I want to replace the HG2800 hydraulic oil and am struggling to remove the Fill Port Plug. Do I need to remove the tires to gain access to the plug? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lawn Addict
Threads
NO, follow this link & see if that helps.. It is for HG 2800's I just did mine.. Any questions, ask 1st before guessing. I would highly recommend cleaning the hydros before as ANY bit of dirt could be very bad for the units

Last edited:

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you. I saw this as well. So, instead of replacing the oil through the Fill Port Plug, I can use the pump with the Top Port Plug (which is easier to access).

Thank you for your response and help!!!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do you have External expansion tanks connected to each hydro ?

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you have External expansion tanks connected to each hydro ?
I do not. My serial number has a T in the 13th position. This means mine has internal expansion tanks correct?

My understanding is if I did have an external, I remove the filter to drain the oil. Then remove the top port plug. Fill the external expansion tank until the top port plug starts "dripping." Then do the air purge.

Because mine does not, that is what I am trying to determine. This fill port plug was my approach but your suggestion of using the pump may be easier.

Last edited:

Lawn Addict
Threads
I do not. My serial number has a T in the 13th position. Mine are same, Internal Expansion units This means mine or internal expansion tanks correct? That is correct..

My understanding is if I did have an external, I remove the filter to drain the oil. Regardless, you drain oil from them by removing the oil filters (If they have never been off, then can be VERY tight to remove). & have yer drain pan there & ready. Forget about External, just focus on Internal Expansion units.. Less confusing. Removing the fill level (Top port plug) plugs is not that hard, get under yer machine & remove them, mine took 11/16" box wrench.

Because mine does not, that is what I am trying to determine. This fill port plug was my approach but your suggestion of using the pump may be easier. Either way, the side plugs MUST be removed to know it is full.

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you so much! Let me read your post. You have been a great help. Thank you and Merry Christmas!

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes take yer time & read it all. Merry Christmas (y)

BGreen21

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes take yer time & read it all. Merry Christmas (y)
I am reading your post and the manual. Your comments about 16 oz being short of using a gallon for both units are interesting. Based on my serial number, digit 7 and 13, is states that 56.6 oz for each unit is full. That aligns with your numbers as well.