15hp 597cc Kohler vs. 16hp 452cc Toro

islandwide

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am looking at the Toro SS3200 zero turn riding mower. Apparently it is available with a 15hp 597cc Kohler motor OR a 16hp 452cc Toro motor. Frankly, I think the unit w/the Kohler motor has been discontinued but they are still available. Both are the same price. The Toro has 1 more HP, but the Kohler is a larger motor.

Which should I buy?

Thanks.

Brian Myers on Long Island

Grass ala Mowed

Threads
Generally a larger motor will have more torque. Does the larger size have a longer stroke; that's like a longer prybar.

islandwide

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's what my research has found.

Kohler motor: Courage SV470
Max HP: 15
Max Torque: 27
Bore: 94mm
Stroke: 86mm

Kohler Engines: SV470: Courage: Product Detail: Engines

The "Toro" motor is model LC1P92F-1 and is seemingly made by "Loncin".
Max HP: 16
Max Torque: 27
Bore: 92mm
Stroke: 68mm

Toro | Toro Engine LC1P92F-1 Certified Power Ratings Chart

Loncin LC1P92F-1 16HP Vertical Shaft Engine サ Mikes Chainsaw Shop

Considering the Toro's smaller size, the power is impressive. But frankly, w/those specs I'm not sure it will make a difference which model I get. Do you agree?

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
When I read this trend I didn't know Toro made a engine. I did a search and found they do make a engine. Alway learning. I find my Wheel horse and two Toro mower are well made but know nothing about Toro engines and never heard of them so I am going to say you would be better off with a Kohler. Just guessing on this but is the Toro engines something new and who makes them?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
I can't imagine Toro would Make their own engine... there are just too many to out there to choose from.

It has to be like the "John Deere" labeled B&S..
But then you do always hear of someone trying to reinvent the wheel... :smile:KennyV

possum

Threads
What little I can find on that Toro engine would seem to be a larger version of the Toro Chinese engines. Someone has to take the leap of faith and try these engines this year but I am to cowardly unless I can get one from a dealer. Many of the Toro lawnmowers are going to have the Toro Chinese engines on them this year but I had not heard about a larger version. Toro is really stepping out this season .

islandwide

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's what I was able to find:

Kohler motor: model sv470
Max HP: 15
Max Trq: 27
Bore: 94mm
Stroke: 86mm

"Toro" motor: model LC1P92F-1 (possibly made by "Loncin"?)
Max HP: 16
Max Trq: 27
Bore: 92mm
Stroke: 68mm

I tried posting links to my sources but the post got blocked for moderation. Maybe it will appear soon.

Brian

jmurray01

, , 1,000 Post Club
Threads
Generally a larger motor will have more torque. Does the larger size have a longer stroke; that's like a longer prybar.
If it is a larger motor, is will have a longer stroke, as you rightly said, and will be better than something with one extra HP!

I now own a 2.6HP Walk Behind, and it has just the same power as the 3.5HP engine I had in my previous mower.

The only difference is that because the 2.6HP engine is only 100CC, compared to the 150CC engine in the 3.5HP engine, it bogs down when I go through some thick grass.

It has never stalled out though, so I'm happy to keep using it and will just cringe slightly when she chugs going through the tough stuff!

You know something ? I think I may have a gift for saying something that could be said in 20 words in 200 words :laughing:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
What little I can find on that Toro engine would seem to be a larger version of the Toro Chinese engines. Someone has to take the leap of faith and try these engines this year but I am to cowardly unless I can get one from a dealer. Many of the Toro lawnmowers are going to have the Toro Chinese engines on them this year but I had not heard about a larger version. Toro is really stepping out this season .

When I seen Toro engines the same thought came to my mine. Chinese keep away but didn't come across where they are made?

pugaltitude

Lawn Addict
Threads
I was on a Toro/Hater course a few weeks ago and they had the Toro engine in for stripdown.
Looks spitting image of a Kohler.
Ball race bearings on the cranks and the balancers which would usually be a bush.
Ok Toro will be strict on there specifications when building them but it is chinese and not a Briggs.

I would expect it to be built in the same factory as jmurray01's Mountfield engine.