15hp 597cc Kohler vs. 16hp 452cc Toro

islandwide

Forum Newbie
Threads
If it is a larger motor, is will have a longer stroke, as you rightly said, and will be better than something with one extra HP!

As per the ratings I posted elsewhere in this thread, both motors have the same torque rating. Should I just forget about the 1 extra HP on the Toro and consider the Kohler motor because it is larger? Side-by-side, which do you think would perform better? Which would last longer?

Thanks.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
As per the ratings I posted elsewhere in this thread, both motors have the same torque rating. Should I just forget about the 1 extra HP on the Toro and consider the Kohler motor because it is larger? Side-by-side, which do you think would perform better? Which would last longer?

Thanks.

Who would have a answer to which would last longer. As I see it the Toro is a new engine and that is something that has to be proven thought the years of use. As for myself being in the repair business all my life I have found that something new takes some time to get all the bugs out and don't be one of the first person to try it out . My vote would be Kohler because they have been around for years, not to say you can't get a dud.

Shedmechanic

Threads
My two cents......I would not touch a chinese rebranded engine. If the other mower with the Kohler is still available I would scoop up that one in a heartbeat.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
:
My two cents......I would not touch a chinese rebranded engine. If the other mower with the Kohler is still available I would scoop up that one in a heartbeat.

I guess that is what I would say but was trying to put it in a softer way :thumbsup:

Shedmechanic

Threads
:

I guess that is what I would say but was trying to put it in a softer way :thumbsup:

I have been known to rub folks the wrong way, but not on purpose. The way I figure it with these junk engines is "why should we in the U.S. tolerate buying these engines when they don't offer the support that is required to maintain these engines?" Just bad business sense to me. I would have hoped a company like Toro would refuse to serve junk like that to their customers. The unfortunate thing is that these mowers will sell because people want cheap instead of quality.

possum

Threads
From what I have been told Toro is going to support these engines just like any other company does that brands their name on it. They are supposed to be well tested and the parts available. I really do not think any more can go wrong with these than has in the past with Briggs or Tec or Kohler. The branded snowblower engines have been in service now for a good many years from several companies and have performed about as well as any other engine in that service. This is a big deal for Toro and it does not look like they intend to look back much. I think this is going to be the norm , and I think from the looks of most companies lineups the old Lheads are going to gone before much longer. If Troybilt offered the Powermore on their lawnmowers I would already own one as I have a dealer nearby. But I am still to cowardly to buy one from a boxstore or any distance away.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
From what I have been told Toro is going to support these engines just like any other company does that brands their name on it. They are supposed to be well tested and the parts available. I really do not think any more can go wrong with these than has in the past with Briggs or Tec or Kohler. The branded snowblower engines have been in service now for a good many years from several companies and have performed about as well as any other engine in that service. This is a big deal for Toro and it does not look like they intend to look back much. I think this is going to be the norm , and I think from the looks of most companies lineups the old Lheads are going to gone before much longer. If Troybilt offered the Powermore on their lawnmowers I would already own one as I have a dealer nearby. But I am still to cowardly to buy one from a boxstore or any distance away.

I for some reason thought the L heads were a thing of the pass. Who still makes them? I really don't know anything about the Toro engine other then said on this forum but if you think it is better it must be. As for me I would want the Kohler and one of the last engines I would buy is Kawasaki and a lot of people love Kawasaki.

Shedmechanic

Threads
I know Briggs still makes the L head in the quantum engine they put on some push mowers and the 550 series engines are L heads that are used on the MTD brand push mowers and some 2200 psi powerwashers. I just bought a Snapper consumer model self propel this past year just because the L head engines are getting phased out. But Briggs is the only one I know of.------Also, before I forget; I have a Toro dealer that I have bought from in the past that will sit on inventory from year to year because he can't move it. As a result, he has self propel mowers that he is still trying to sell that are from the model year 1998. So if you are going to buy a mower from another year, I would try to find out how old it is, I know that even though a mower is an older mower but is still new it will carry a new warranty with it, but who wants a self propel or any other mower that is supposedly "brand new" that is actually ten years or so old. Hopefully the guy I know that owns the shop is the only one with this old of mowers still trying to sell them as a new unit.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I know Briggs still makes the L head in the quantum engine they put on some push mowers and the 550 series engines are L heads that are used on the MTD brand push mowers and some 2200 psi powerwashers. I just bought a Snapper consumer model self propel this past year just because the L head engines are getting phased out. But Briggs is the only one I know of.------Also, before I forget; I have a Toro dealer that I have bought from in the past that will sit on inventory from year to year because he can't move it. As a result, he has self propel mowers that he is still trying to sell that are from the model year 1998. So if you are going to buy a mower from another year, I would try to find out how old it is, I know that even though a mower is an older mower but is still new it will carry a new warranty with it, but who wants a self propel or any other mower that is supposedly "brand new" that is actually ten years or so old. Hopefully the guy I know that owns the shop is the only one with this old of mowers still trying to sell them as a new unit.

Maybe if you were paying 1998 prices it wouldn't be too bad but not 2012 prices. I really don't see anything wrong with a new 1998 mower but would want it for a good price. It just seems some dealers don't want to give you a break on prices and maybe this is they they still have 1998 mowers to sell.

Shedmechanic

Threads
Go with the Kohler. You may want to visit a decent site that has some tips and advice on that kind of stuff.
lawnmowerandtractor com Just a thought so good luck!

WOW, was that a plug for another website or what?......