Zero turn choice

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
That might have some thing to do with the pathetic quality of residential mowers.
IT is not that they need a commercial, is they want one that will run for longer than the warranty period and when it does stop running it can be repaired .
The only residential ZTR's I would buy are either JD EZ or Toro Time Cutters .
Not sure about the Ariens, not seen one yet but if they are as well engineered as the old Zoom series they replaced then they would grt a nod as well.
Nothing residential out of the Husqvarna or MTD factories are worth spitting on and he rebadged stuff from China is disgusting.
Now I don't really blame the factories.
If no one bought junk then there would be no money in making junk but the sad fact is junk outsells quality 20 : 1
The they come running to me when the dealer gives them a repair quote that is 1/2 the new price or better on a 3 year old machine.
Ariens has the Edge series. They come in sizes as small as 34” and up to 52”. They are equipped with Kohler 6000 series engines and EZT2200 transaxles. The Edge has replaced the Zoom.
Gravely has a Compact Pro series. This thing is packed with features. They come in 34” and 44” decks. The big feature is the ZT3100 transaxles. Kawasaki Commercial Power. These are not cheap.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
perhaps, but I never pass an opinion on a mower till I have been underneath it
Way too many mudguards on the market
Add to that high end parts poorly shot together
So the opinion stays the same
Run a mile for any residential Cub , two miles from a residential Husquvana and you don't want to be in the same state as any MTD

Ron3

Threads
perhaps, but I never pass an opinion on a mower till I have been underneath it
Way too many mudguards on the market
Add to that high end parts poorly shot together
So the opinion stays the same
Run a mile for any residential Cub , two miles from a residential Husquvana and you don't want to be in the same state as any MTD
Ariens has the Edge series. They come in sizes as small as 34” and up to 52”. They are equipped with Kohler 6000 series engines and EZT2200 transaxles. The Edge has replaced the Zoom.
Gravely has a Compact Pro series. This thing is packed with features. They come in 34” and 44” decks. The big feature is the ZT3100 transaxles. Kawasaki Commercial Power. These are not cheap.
You are painting with a very wide brush! there are a lot residential mower owners mowing about 25 to 30 hours a year and take care of there equipment and they will get several years of good service. I have a residential Badboy MZ 42 and have not had a minutes trouble and expect to have the mower many years. It cost $2995 new as opposed to a commercial mower costing nearly twice as much.My thinking is that you don’t have to pay 5 or 6k for a commercial mower to mow your subdivision sized lot.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thing is Ron, way too many variables
The average home owner will see 4 or so different mowers in their life.
A repairman will get under 20 or so a week
So we see the difference between things like bushed / unbushed shafts
Components that are welded together after positioning so they can not be removed for repair or replacement
Self tappers directly into sheet metal without so much as a speed nut let alone a U nut to strengthen the fastening
This is why the JD's & Toros are worth the extra $$$$.
Then there are things like oil filters that can not be removed without spilling oil all over the belts , rocker covers that need 1/2 the mower to be pulled apart before you can get in to check the valve lash.
Ground leads that ground only to the frame & not to the engine ( have a look at your car ) to save $ 5 worth of copper cable
Then copper battery cables that are only just barely bit enough to handle a 1 minute crank without over heating
Battery connections with wing nuts so they are easy to remove .
Belts that are easy to replace
Tension arms with a square hole to take breaker bar to make belt changes easy
Then there is the cost of the belts themselves
On ZTR's drive belts you can get to
And of course grease points you can get a gun onto

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
stop and take a good look at the 10 best looking lawns in your area..........then look at how they are being cut............draw your own conclusion.

Ron3

Threads
Well I was born at night but not last night and there is no way I would pay around $5000 to mow a 1/2 acre lot.

Ron3

Threads
stop and take a good look at the 10 best looking lawns in your area..........then look at how they are being cut............draw your own conclusion.
Actually the best looking lot in my subdivision is being mowed with a 21 inch Honda self propelled mower.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Actually the best looking lot in my subdivision is being mowed with a 21 inch Honda self propelled mower.
There are no short cuts to perfection it is always hard work .

bkeller500

Threads
I have been told more than once...the smaller the better, when it comes to getting a good looking lawn...........
I tend to agree but I often see some 50" & 60" just that look darn good. It take more than just a great mowing machine. Fertilizer, weed control & water have a lot to do with how a yard grows and looks. The only thing else I can use to add to it as a great mowing deck.