Zero turn choice

Ron3

Threads
You could get into trouble making a run at a hill on a zero turn lol!

Divot

Threads
I have a gravely 42” zt xl with serviceable hydros and it’s cut is amazing along with the ariens version of this same mower So if you can find either one especially with a Kawasaki engine I believe you’ll be thrilled

SlopeMan2

Threads
I am looking to buy a 42 inch zero turn in the next few days. My yard is mostly flat except for a short hill that is about a 25 % grade. I have to go up and down it to access the lower part of yard. Will I have any issues with one having 2200 hydros or should I look at the 2800 ones?
I have 500 hours on my 54" Husqvarna with 2200 hyrdos and no problems. I had a way to pump old fluid out, and put in Mobil 1 15-50 oil about 350 hours. They are smooth as new.

andyboy

Threads
I have the Toro SS4235 Timecutter with a 42" deck. I don't think they make that specific model anymore for whatever reason. I got it with the 2 cyl Kohler and a mulching deck. It's at least 4 years old. I mow about 2 acres of slopes and flat spots. I went with 42" so I could get between many of the trees I have. I have had no mechanical problems. Some flat tires but that is my fault. Does a nice cut. I have had some traction issues but that might be an issue between me and zero turns in general. I tow a 4' x 6' car trailer full of fire wood and a 8' car trailer when picking up fallen branches with no power issues.

Shoesole

Forum Newbie
Threads
I’m a newbie here but I’ve been reading many posts here for awhile. I have to have a 42 inch or smaller due to my gate and 42 inch with 2800’s is difficult to find. We have a Bobcat and a John Deere dealer here otherwise except for the box stores I have to travel a distance. Just seeing what options I should lean towards. Thanks for any help you can give…
Why don't you just widen your gate, then you can get whatever size mower deck you want. A simple solution.

rpowell7223

Threads
Widening the gate is possible just not as simple here due to the hard ground. Need a jack hammer here to dig a hole and with all the trees and flower beds a smaller deck would be easier to navigate.. I’m still considering widening it though..

billypumper

Threads
Might try a Snapper 360Z they make it in a 42", the new ones have Brigg's cause they bought out Snapper and a few others, I own a 42, bought the mulch kit, removed the discharge chute, measures right at 42", bought last year's model it had a 21.5 HP Kawasaki, does good on a small hill as long as it's not wet outside.

billypumper

Threads
The Snapper 360Z comes with 2800's they also make a XT with 3100's, I run 8lbs in my tires, helps with traction on a hill

Mad_mat222

Threads
My vote is for hustler raptor. Bit pricey but great machine. I have a mowing business. Have over 200hrs on it. Drives are serviceable and fairly easy job. Just my two cents worth but Zero turns are death traps on hills. Will mow ok going up a hill but going down or across is a no go. I’ve had heaps of near misses And have rolled it not even doing anything stupid. If you have clay dont bother if it’s wet. If you are just doing bulk lawn with no obstacles, consider just a normal ride on. They are cheaper and steer better on slopes.

Ron3

Threads
The Snapper 360Z comes with 2800's they also make a XT with 3100's, I run 8lbs in my tires, helps with traction on a hill
I thought that only the 52 inch 360z has the 2800s ,smaller ones (36, 42 and 48)has EZT 2200

Last edited: