Zero turn choice

rpowell7223

Threads
I am looking to buy a 42 inch zero turn in the next few days. My yard is mostly flat except for a short hill that is about a 25 % grade. I have to go up and down it to access the lower part of yard. Will I have any issues with one having 2200 hydros or should I look at the 2800 ones?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The ZT2800 hydros are serviceable. The ZT2200s are not.

rpowell7223

Threads
I’m a newbie here but I’ve been reading many posts here for awhile. I have to have a 42 inch or smaller due to my gate and 42 inch with 2800’s is difficult to find. We have a Bobcat and a John Deere dealer here otherwise except for the box stores I have to travel a distance. Just seeing what options I should lean towards. Thanks for any help you can give…

Lawn Addict
Threads
FWIW: For 7 years I mowed with my 42" Toro which had 2100's.. Never any issue. And I pulled the aerator, roller & yard wagon (loaded).

But because of the mower shortage @ Dealers, & used market being red hot, I sold it for almost what I paid for it new ( - $300.). I had 18 people lined up online to buy it the following day I listed it.. And already had my 2021 Liberty 48" purchased & here. .

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Bobcat offers a ZT2000 with a 42” deck. However, the total outside width is about 43.5”. It has the ZT2800 hydros.
Buying from a servicing dealer is going to be your best bet. When you purchase from a big box store, you will have to take your mower to an authorized repair shop.

hlw49

Lawn Addict
Threads
ZT2200 should be fine I watched a hydro gear video on the and it looked good for what it is made for. Go for it

rpowell7223

Threads
I currently use a Troybilt 42 inch rider and it barely fits thru the gate.. I think the measurement on the deck without discharge chute is around 45-46 inches so the bobcat is something I will look at.. The bobcat dealer used to have a long line of zero turns out front but now there are none, but I am finding there is a shortage of them even in the box stores.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I currently use a Troybilt 42 inch rider and it barely fits thru the gate.. I think the measurement on the deck without discharge chute is around 45-46 inches so the bobcat is something I will look at.. The bobcat dealer used to have a long line of zero turns out front but now there are none, but I am finding there is a shortage of them even in the box stores.
That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have one in stock. Stop in and talk to the folks.
Same thing with your local John Deere dealer.
Take your tape measure with you. Look the mowers over. Ask questions. Have a notepad with your questions ready beforehand. Jot down their answers.

Ron3

Threads
If you are mowing around an acre a week the 2200 ez is all you need, they are good for a minimum of 400 + hours of hard use and it would take most home owners over 16 years to just reach 400 hours at 25 hours per season. I have a 42 inch badboy MZ that goes easily through my 48 inch gate. Has a Low center of gravity and built like a tank and not a minutes trouble. Paid under 3k for it last year brand new from tractor supply.

Last edited:

bkeller500

Threads
a 2200 hydro is probably fine if all you are going to do is mowing and light duty yard maintenance. But consider moving up from the entry level models. The build quality and serviceability is better and will serve you well for a longer time frame. You might have to consider going out of your area to look at additional units ( if any inventory remains) or wait until Spring when dealers restock. Don't panic and make a leap into a unit and regret it later. The more you look around, the more confusing it can get, but the more your learn, the wiser you become. Most important is the deck...not the Hydro. The look of your finished lawn is determined by the cut quality. How is the deck mounted and supported? A flimsy deck will not maintain level and produce a uneven cut. If the deck tilts on turns or that hill, you will forever be disappointed. If the deck is shallow it will not lift the grass and poor air flow will keep it from discharging well. It's all about the deck!