Zero turn choice

Threads
a 2200 hydro is probably fine if all you are going to do is mowing and light duty yard maintenance. But consider moving up from the entry level models. The build quality and serviceability is better and will serve you well for a longer time frame. You might have to consider going out of your area to look at additional units ( if any inventory remains) or wait until Spring when dealers restock. Don't panic and make a leap into a unit and regret it later. The more you look around, the more confusing it can get, but the more your learn, the wiser you become. Most important is the deck...not the Hydro. The look of your finished lawn is determined by the cut quality. How is the deck mounted and supported? A flimsy deck will not maintain level and produce a uneven cut. If the deck tilts on turns or that hill, you will forever be disappointed. If the deck is shallow it will not lift the grass and poor air flow will keep it from discharging well. It's all about the deck!
I am looking to buy a 42 inch zero turn in the next few days. My yard is mostly flat except for a short hill that is about a 25 % grade. I have to go up and down it to access the lower part of yard. Will I have any issues with one having 2200 hydros or should I look at the 2800 ones?
My 42” Hustler Raptor is 8 yrs old, over 200 hrs, and no problems. Just put a new battery in it last yr. and tires. I installed the Multch kit, which removed the side discharge chute. I believe that truly makes it 42”wide. I’m sure I could have spent more, but I don’t think I could have done better.

icon2000

Threads
I am looking to buy a 42 inch zero turn in the next few days. My yard is mostly flat except for a short hill that is about a 25 % grade. I have to go up and down it to access the lower part of yard. Will I have any issues with one having 2200 hydros or should I look at the 2800 ones?
I've got the Cub ZT 42 purchased last May right at 100hours I use it also part time commercial, it has served me well with basic maintenance.

Attachments

• IMG_20211007_150209_531.jpg
    IMG_20211007_150209_531.jpg
    755.7 KB · Views: 3

fixit1ddh

Threads
I have 2 cub RZT L54 both have the 2200. The 2015 has a shade over 500 hours and the 2017 My Wifes has a shade under 250 hours knock on wood but have not had any problems with either units hydros. Mine the one with over 500 hours I mow some pretty steep hills with it, that I will not let the Wife mow. We are both old and mow between 5 to 7 acres. But we do mow slow.

Ron3

Threads
I would rather spend 3k for what I need than 5k for what I want. The guy is only mowing a 1/2 acre. Lol!

Gord Baker

Threads
25% grade is quite steep. You should try one out on wet grass to be sure you can climb it with the new model.

rpowell7223

Threads
I have to make a run at the hill with my troybilt riding mower, back tires are pretty worn though. Luckily to mow the hill I only need to go up and down it like 4 or 5 times. And I try not to mow at all when grass is wet.

Hesermon

Forum Newbie
Threads
Have you considered widening your gate just a bit. I know it can be a pia but it would expand your search to include 48" mowers which may be more readily available both new and used. But to answer your question, I would prefer the larger hydros and as mentioned above, a quality fabricated deck. It will cut better, quicker and retain better resale should you decide to sell.

rpowell7223

Threads
My whole life my wife has bought top of the line furniture, best appliances, expensive vacuum and drives the better vehicle while I penny pinch on the equipment for the yard work. I kinda want to have what I want this one time, just not too far overboard lol.

rpowell7223

Threads
The ground here is so hard most people need a jack hammer to dig the holes. It’s possible being that it’s just one hole to dig. But that’s why I’ve stalled on that idea.

bkeller500

Threads
My whole life my wife has bought top of the line furniture, best appliances, expensive vacuum and drives the better vehicle while I penny pinch on the equipment for the yard work. I kinda want to have what I want this one time, just not too far overboard lol.
I am married to your sister-in-law........ same situation. My wife ALWAYS picks nicer more expensive things and justify's it. And she is right most of the time. I have gone the cheap route on tools, lawn equipment, snow blowers...you name it. Now in my later years, I do not do that anymore. You get what you pay for. On a short term use or need you can go cheap and enjoy the savings, but on a long term use, the performance is usually better on the more expensive tools and equipment. Yes you can convince yourself you got a great deal and you saved some $$$ but answer this.....Have you ever regretted purchasing the more expensive tool? The cost difference spread out over the life expectancy is usually not much. Buy once cry once!