XT1 LT46 Bad Transmission or Belt?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
So if you couldn't even begin to push it (before knowing the hydro had to be bypassed) then it's probably okay too.
NO NO hydros in the drive position, not the bypass ( push ) position .
And of corse brake off.
The wheel should roll in the same direction
If they roll in opposite directions then the parking brake is jambed on .

IaFarmer

Forum Newbie
Threads
If anyone has a good used one for sale cheap, hmu.
I see a couple K46 transaxles on eBay for $345.00 to $625.00 one refurbished & the cheaper one just pre-owned. Good Luck

350Rocket

Threads
NO NO hydros in the drive position, not the bypass ( push ) position .
And of corse brake off.
The wheel should roll in the same direction
If they roll in opposite directions then the parking brake is jambed on .

My test for hydros is rolling them down the ramp off the trailer
If I have to pushe them and they stop the second I stop pushing them, the transmission is excellent
If they roll with just a little resistance and continue a short amount when I stop pushing they are on the way out
If i give them a shove and they take off and don't stop they are shot.
Sloped driveway is just as good to test on , but wear your runners .
On flat ground should I be able to roll it with the hydro engaged? I don't have a ramp to test it on but I can push it fairly easily and I believe I couldn't the first time I tried to push it (when the starter was bad). The trans also sounds noisier than usual while taking off or going in reverse. Still has full power and doesn't seem to slip. It got noisier after towing a small trailer full of bricks with it.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes
I was just trying to explain how I (me ) do a rough check of the hydros on the mowers I am servicing
Sounds lik you have blown yours now that we have more information
HYdros have a specific load limit
They also must always be used with the engine running full speed,
Had to trash several where the owners used them for tow motors & run the engine at 1/2 speed rather than controling with the lap bars

350Rocket

Threads
Yes
I was just trying to explain how I (me ) do a rough check of the hydros on the mowers I am servicing
Sounds lik you have blown yours now that we have more information
HYdros have a specific load limit
They also must always be used with the engine running full speed,
Had to trash several where the owners used them for tow motors & run the engine at 1/2 speed rather than controling with the lap bars
I was running it at full throttle while towing that load for maybe 15-20 minutes total. I was towing it with the 81 MTD 11hp first and could tell it was overloaded as it kept spinning the tires. So I switched to the much larger cub cadet to finish the job. Sounded like the trans didn't like it so I decided I would only tow half that amount from now on. First time for me towing with lawn tractors.

I'll probably use the old one for all towing from now on to save the bigger one for faster mowing. 306 hours on the cub cadet which is maybe pushing it on one of these if it had no prior fluid changes. Hopefully it will last a while just mowing on our semi flat yard.

JonnyBlaze

Threads
Are there any other models that use the same transmission that I can be looking for a used one from? I know it needs axles that have bolt on wheels and not the c clip. Not sure what else is different in other K46's.