Would you buy the same mower again?

eliascm

Threads
Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
I would certainly buy my WALKER MBK-23 again. It was fine with a 60" deck with ample power however not nimble enough over the rough stuff. However I eventually realised it was a 'one trick pony' and I needed another mower. Instead of buying another mower, I downgraded the deck. I now have a 42" deck that does it all. Cuts the lawns as well as the >10" rough stuff, plus I can get around trees easily and also through most spaces.

Great piece of kit with tons of attachments available and power to drive them all :)

evilrussell

Forum Newbie
Threads
Although it's only two years old, I bought a new Scag 52" Liberty Z with the large Kawasaki engine. I have mowed my 1.5 acres lot including clearing some very high brush. This thing has never even began to bog down! Still operates as it did the day I bought it. So I would definitely buy this one again.

gotomow

Threads
The JD x350 I would definitely buy again. Love the mower, it works as advertised and does everything as it's suppose to . The Honda HRX217 I would not buy again. Horrible design that keeps the trans gears engaged and cheap plastic bushings supporting the drive shaft make this machine difficult to use & hard to pull back on. As the bushings heat up it makes the drive speed inconsistent as heck and harder to pull back on as you continue to mow. Adjusting the deck height is another frustration, arg! Before I got the JD it would pick up leaves in the fall, but unfortunately with it's crappy choke system just in time for the leaves its very hard to start in colder temps when I needed it most. Thank goodness it's just a trimmer now. Should have bought a Toro. The new Honda HRN series has apparently address these concerns if so I'll take a close look at it soon.

RustyAllen

Threads
My Pop and I have owned 6 Economy Tractors since 1971, and will never buy something new to replace one. We will keep re-building what we have, so long as there are parts to be had. The decks can be patched, built new from scratch, engines can be rebuilt, cheap parts tractors can be purchased and used for parts. I would bet the house that my son will have them all going strong when another 50 years have gone by. No circuit boards and computers, no little ChiCom made plastic junk parts here.

Rupper75

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have had 3 mowers in the last 25 years, 2 years ago purchased a D140 John Deer, It has 170 Hours on it, been in the Shop 3 times ,due for the 4th time, I think most of the parts are Mfg in CHINA, the Right and Center blade shaft Bearing have been replaced 2 times, Hanger supports to the deck, Lift bracket have been rep, Left front wheel bearing , Seat Bracket spacer installed to have proper clearance to keep bracket from rubbing Frame,
Steering needs new tie rod ends and steering gears, 5 inches of play, never seen such poor quality product, Never purchase this product again

dsgreen3

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hustler Fastrak 54 yes I would has been very dependable Kawasaki engine always starts I have over 1300 hrs on it owned it since 2011.

eliascm

Threads
I Have a John Deere Z345R 42” Deck. This is the largest deck that will fit into my shed. It is a zero turn and I like it very much. I had a John Deere tractor before and had no problems, but I really wanted a zero turn. I spend less time mowing (I have about a half acre yard) and enjoy it more. The zero turn feature helps speed up the mowing, of course, but I think the mower also moves faster. Yes, I would buy it again.

Grouse09

Threads
I bought a 2010 Grasshopper 723K off off Craigslist in 2016. It had 260 hours on it. Now, it has 570 hours and has been great for our 5 acres of Hilly irrigated lawn. So glad I bought it with the vacuum system for the leaves. Its been a great fit for me.

Joezera

Forum Newbie
Threads
Here's one that everybody can chime in on. Would you buy the same mower again, or would you go with a different model? Do you have any regrets about your purchase?

I'll start. My first mower was a John Deere 365 with 48" deck. Loved that machine for 430 hours until we sold it. But I will say that the only thing different I would do is go up to a machine that had the power to handle a 60" deck instead of the 48" deck.

How about you?
I bought a Toro Timecutter model 74778 which has a nice cutting width and the best feature for me is that it is equipped with shock absorbing equipment for the seating area of the mower. I live in the country and our yard is quite rough due to crayfish activity etc. I am elderly now and my back just cannot stand the jarring ride of riding mowers without the shock absorbing feature. The only downside of the unit I have is that I wish the fuel tank had higher capacity. I see commercial units that have fuel tanks on both sides. I was able to get this unit through my dealer on a 0% 24 month time payment arrangement. We have one more payment to make and then it is all ours. Another feature I like about this unit is that it is a zero-turn type. It replaced an older Cub Cadet which was not a zero-turn type. I find the lever steering much easier (power operated) than manual steering. It makes it easier on my shoulders and neck while mowing. I use the mower to handle up to 4 acres or sometimes less. We have a total of 15.25 acres and the rest of the property is handled by a John Deere 5105 AWD tractor.

Joe

RMHGA

Forum Newbie
Threads

How about you?
I bought a 2008 Bad Boy ZT. It has been a great mower with no real problems. I mow several acres. I have never had a riding mower last 12 years and still be mowing great. I also have a 2010 Cub Cadet 54" that I use it on steep banks. I am not sure I would replace it with another Cub Cadet.