WHY NOT??

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
From the motor. That was the classic electric perpetual motion machine design. A motor drives the alternator which generates electricity to power the motor. All you need is an initial kick (or pull) to start the motion. You could even steal the electricity from it to power your house. :laughing:

It can work as long as there is enough power to both charge battery and power motor How ever that is alot of moving parts and alot that can break lol

Ariena

Threads
exotion said:
It can work as long as there is enough power to both charge battery and power motor How ever that is alot of moving parts and alot that can break lol

It can't work. If it were to work you would make Bill Gates look like a pauper. It is rudimentary physics. First law of thermal dynamics: Nothing is Created or destroyed, it just changes state. You have to input X amount of energy to get X minus resistance out.
I don't understand how you can make a statement such as " It can work, as long as........". Perhaps you should enter politics.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
It can't work. If it were to work you would make Bill Gates look like a pauper. It is rudimentary physics. First law of thermal dynamics: Nothing is Created or destroyed, it just changes state. You have to input X amount of energy to get X minus resistance out.
I don't understand how you can make a statement such as " It can work, as long as........". Perhaps you should enter politics.

:( well maybe some solar panels for a little of energy with an alternator to help?

Mark Widmer

Threads
:( well maybe some solar panels for a little of energy with an alternator to help?
Then you might as well power the motor with the solar panels directly. But seriously, something has to power the alternator -- with the full amount of energy needed by the motor, not just a little bit of it.

The simple answer is that the batteries just don't store enough energy to do the job compared to the gasoline or diesel. Here is an energy density table. Energy density - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

At a given weight, gasoline has about 65 times as much energy as the Lithium-ion rechargeables. Even considering electric motor to be 4-5 times more efficient than a gas engine, the pro mower still has to carry many batteries in his truck and swap a battery every 30 minutes. We are not there yet but I believe we will see the continued improvement in battery technology.
I think that is a key reason -- you need lots of batteries to do a full day's work. A homeowner just needs to mow one lawn.

exotion

Lawn Addict
Threads
You would think with todays modern tech someone could figure it out. solar panels, alternator on a rwd there is alot of wasted energy in the front wheels spinning.

panabiker

Threads
Yeah, by now, you would think someone would have smashed the law of energy conservation.

LukeMJ

Forum Newbie
Threads
FALL 2014 UPDATE: things have changed!

Hey y'all. Just joined the forum, researching battery lawn equipment for lawn crew and hoped some of you lawn pros could weigh in.

These posts are 2 and 3 years old and almost universally dismiss battery mowers from back in the day: heavy, low power, slow charging.

But in my recent investigation Li-ion batteries seem to be on the brink of transforming cordless equipment. Specifically 40v and 56v swappable light-weight batteries in 4ah and 2ah formats, run times as much as an hour, and super-charging in as little as 30 min. Batteries and machines are light weight (60+lbs vs 90+lbs for gas), much quieter (60db vs 95+db). And of course the usual bullet points: no oil + gas + filter + spark + carburetor + prime + choke + heat + fumes + exhaust + CO2 pollution + excessive noise.

Looking purely at performance (cut quality, power, mulch + bag + chute, battery life, charge time) and for the sake of argument, ignoring cost for the moment (up to $500 for top-of-the-line battery mowers!), I've been taking a serious look at Ego (EGO Power+ - Power Beyond Belief also available at HomeDepot) and GreenWorks (sometimes rebranded as Kobalt) (Greenworks Battery Powered Lawnmowers, Strimmers, Leaf Blowers, Drills and Power Tools, Lithium-Ion 40 Volt - Greenworks also available at Lowe's).

Greenworks has been around for 3 or more years as far as I can tell, and have an impressive array of compatible battery swap tools. But despite very positive reviews on some sites and equipment review webcasts, Lowe's appears to have stopped selling the Greenworks mowers in favor of their identical Kobalt siblings. Not sure what that means.

Meanwhile, Ego has the best marks in the cordless mower world by far and has raised the bar from 40v batteries to 56v, putting their power performance on similar footing to gas mowers, in some reviewers' experience.

And of course there's B+D and Toro and other veteran lawn manufacturers with their own offerings and seasoned customer service + parts + repair that are trying to keep up with the new breed.

So ... wondering if any of you lawn pros are running battery mowers / blowers / trimmers / saws. Which? Performance? Recommendations? Should I invest in these new machines?

Very gratefully,

Luke

Lawnmowerwizard

Forum Newbie
Threads
Certainly the technology seems to have come on leaps and bounds recently, and if it's not yet up to standard for commercial applications then I'm willing to bet that it soon will be. Most of the battery powered mowers I've looked at only fall down on one thing, price. As soon as the technology becomes more mainstream then I've no doubt the price will drop. One thing is for certain though, many of the the major manufacturers are getting in on the action, Einhell, Black & Decker, Bosch, and as you mention Greenworks to name but a few.

Interestingly I've done a lot of work in the marine industry, and I can vouch for the fact that this technology is picking up pace there too, not just coincidence I'm sure.

Thanks

LMW